• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rick Barnes expected to step down as Texas' head coach

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After sweeping him 2 years in a row I was kind of hoping he would stick around.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty crazy that they let him stick around that long. I have a buddy in Austin and we always talk about it. One FF and 2 EEs during that span for Texas basketball is not that good, especially when it has been so long since his last EE.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late last night, I heard Patterson told him to make changes. The feeling was, Barnes is not going to fire his guys.

I remember when Tom Penders came to town, Texas basketball got kind of exciting, getting to Elite Eight. Then Barnes came, and it was okay for awhile, but other than the Final Four year, not really exciting. Got to NCAAs every year except one, which was kind of a big deal for us.

Now, need someone who can take advantage of the talent in the state, and get to the next level. Getting a new place to play games in a few years should help. The Erwin center is a big, one size fits all entertainment arena. I want a real basketball arena, hopefully right on campus.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty crazy that they let him stick around that long. I have a buddy in Austin and we always talk about it. One FF and 2 EEs during that span for Texas basketball is not that good, especially when it has been so long since his last EE.

Whenever someone says "anyone can win with that much talent" about Calipari or K, I always say "Barnes can't" and it gets real quiet.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever someone says "anyone can win with that much talent" about Calipari or K, I always say "Barnes can't" and it gets real quiet.

Barnes has NEVER had the talent those guys get. This year, had some size, and one elite ranked guy (who was either mishandled by Barnes, or is not as good as he was hyped, or most likely a combo of both). But this team has no shooters/scorers, either one.

Barnes definitely was offensively challenged. Also, seemed to get guys into the doghouse constantly. Take one bad shot? Pull him out. No rhyme or reason to substitutions.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do ya think Texas guys, yall gonna shoot Marshall?

Texas has no chance. Unless they start throwing huge amount of money around, like Bama is. But I dont see it.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnes has NEVER had the talent those guys get. This year, had some size, and one elite ranked guy (who was either mishandled by Barnes, or is not as good as he was hyped, or most likely a combo of both). But this team has no shooters/scorers, either one.

Barnes definitely was offensively challenged. Also, seemed to get guys into the doghouse constantly. Take one bad shot? Pull him out. No rhyme or reason to substitutions.

Not quite on the level of those guys, but c'mon. Look at the talent that has rolled through Austin over the past few years...

TJ Ford
that Durant kid (I hear he's pretty good)
Aldridge
DJ Augustin
Tristan Thompson

Those are just the super-good guys. He's also had a boatload of other first round guys.

I mean... c'mon.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite on the level of those guys, but c'mon. Look at the talent that has rolled through Austin over the past few years...

TJ Ford
that Durant kid (I hear he's pretty good)
Aldridge
DJ Augustin
Tristan Thompson

Those are just the super-good guys. He's also had a boatload of other first round guys.

I mean... c'mon.

yes when you look at that list. Makes us Texas exes wanna cry. Indeed, Barnes cant coach one-and-dones. I remember the Durant team; he was must see, just to see him play. But you just knew that team wasnt going anywhere.

The talk in Texas land was "Barnes needs the blue collar guys, the type of players he can ride hard, work em over several years." He does ride his guys hard, and many of them shut down. A lot of talented guys, who really could have stayed another year or two, such as Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, etc., didnt want to stay.

While some of these guys panned out, he never recruited like Calipari has the past few years. But he definitely got some who turned into big-time players.

I could be wrong, but I'd like to see his recruiting rankings compared to Calipari, Coach K, Boeheim, etc.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yes, I've been quite impressed with Calipari. He's done something that, maybe no one to his extent, has done; he's signed up multiple, top-ranked recruits multiple times, and had much success.

Absolutely. Barnes, not even close to that.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes when you look at that list. Makes us Texas exes wanna cry. Indeed, Barnes cant coach one-and-dones. I remember the Durant team; he was must see, just to see him play. But you just knew that team wasnt going anywhere.

The talk in Texas land was "Barnes needs the blue collar guys, the type of players he can ride hard, work em over several years." He does ride his guys hard, and many of them shut down. A lot of talented guys, who really could have stayed another year or two, such as Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, etc., didnt want to stay.

While some of these guys panned out, he never recruited like Calipari has the past few years. But he definitely got some who turned into big-time players.

I could be wrong, but I'd like to see his recruiting rankings compared to Calipari, Coach K, Boeheim, etc.

I'm guessing when you go by recruiting rankings, Barnes looks okay, but he's going to be behind Calipari, K and Self. He might be in the neighborhood of Boeheim.

But I'm not convinced that if you gave him a roster full of Calipari or K recruits that he'd do much more with them than his other teams. I think you might be right. He's better suited for 3 and 4 year "blue collar" guys.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, Barnes cant coach one-and-dones. I remember the Durant team; he was must see, just to see him play. But you just knew that team wasnt going anywhere.

THIS right here. I remember talking about this years ago when one-and-done first came about. It's no coincidence that Barnes' teams started going down the tubes soon after the rule was implemented. I love what Barnes has done for the program, but it is time for him to go.

But I agree, he didnt maximize what he got, imo.

Also very true. It's frustrating that he can pull so much out of the less flashy recruits but then fall so hard with the stars.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he wants the ASU job really bad...

Lol

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
adbbb
THIS right here. I remember talking about this years ago when one-and-done first came about. It's no coincidence that Barnes' teams started going down the tubes soon after the rule was implemented. I love what Barnes has done for the program, but it is time for him to go.

Also very true. It's frustrating that he can pull so much out of the less flashy recruits but then fall so hard with the stars.

I never noticed that, but you're right. It was about that time when it all went south for him. Started getting some good talent, but they didnt stay, and the teams couldnt win in the tourney.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching one-and-done elite NBA guys is not easy.

Barnes was far better at teaching and developing the classic 4 year college player heading back to his ACC roots from the 1980s and 1990s with the 4 year college player traditions of that great teacher era.

Once he started recruiting guys who used Texas as an NBA minor league feeder, it went stale.

Either way, it was an extremely successful run.

16 out of 17 NCAA tournament appearances (better than 90% of schools if not more)
including a Final Four and 2 elite eights

That is pretty darn good for a football school.
Basketball is such a secondary concern for the power people in Austin.