• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rey's WR Draft Rankings for the Eagles.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final WR Rankings for the Eagles “Only” ... based on how these players would fit for Philly, not exactly how I have them ranked "overall".

1. Jerry Jeudy Alabama – (Projected Rd 1) Think a faster Jerry Rice with a slight downgrade on hands. Inside, outside, it doesn't matter, this kid can dust defenders and should be a lock for 1200+ yards year in and year out. Good luck trying to stop him after the catch as well as he has Barry Sanders like moves for a WR.

2. Henry Ruggs Alabama – (Projected Rd 1) Ruggs is not just a speed guy, he can also work the middle of the field or be a Red Zone threat. Ruggs has huge hands for a WR and unlike most speed guys, he has some size to him and can win contested catches. This dude would open up all kinds of room for Ertz/Goedert.

3. CD Lamb Oklahoma – (Projected Rd 1) He's a young Larry Fitzgerald who will burn defenders if left single covered. Any one of these top 3 receivers would be like striking gold for Wentz.

4. Justin Jefferson LSU – (Projected Rd 1) People seem to pigeon-hole Jefferson to the slot, but he has the ability to play outside as well. Look at my Mock draft in another thread for my full evaluation of his game.

5. Brandon Aiyuk Arizona State – (Projected Rd 1 or early Rd 2) Aiyuk plays faster than his 40 time and he's explosive after the catch. He can create big time separation from the outside and would give us a big play outside guy for Wentz to target. He's also an excellent return man if needed as well. I see a lot of similarities between he and ODB when taking slants to the house.

6. Denzel Mims Baylor – (Projected Rd 1) Mims reminds me of Alshon Jeffery; Excellent size, uses hands really well off the Line and great mitts to come down with contested balls. His catch radius is insane and he knows how to body out defenders. Can flash that 4.38 speed if given enough space.

7. Tee Higgins Clemson – (Projected Rd 1 or early Rd 2) Quite simply, he's a tad slower Denzel Mims. That's the only reason I have Mims rated ahead of him. If you throw it near Higgins chances are he will end up with the catch as he has tremendous size and body control. Mims or Higgins can replace Alshon Jeffery.

8. Jalen Reagor TCU – (Projected Rd2) Made a horrible decision to add 10 lbs of muscle before the Combine which made his 40 slower than what it should have been. Make no mistake, this kid can take the top off a Defense from the outside. TCU QB was putrid in 2019; he will be a much better pro than what his college stats showed.

9. LeViska Shenault Colorado – (Projected mid-late Rd 2) If not for injury issues, Shenault would be higher on this list. Forget the bad 40 time which he never should have ran hurt, this dude is a beast. If he can stay healthy watch out! He's a stronger Percy Harvin.

10. KJ Hamler Penn State – (Projected mid-late Rd 2) If not for the drops, we would be talking about a 1st round prospect. This kid can run a sub 4.4 in his sleep and has loads of quickness. Size and drops will keep him as a Rd 2 prospect, but can be a deep threat / big play guy for the Birds.

11. Devin Duvernay Texas – (Projected late Rd2 to early Rd 3) If he played more outside as opposed to the slot at Texas, I would have him above Hamler. In any other draft I think he would be much higher, but he can produce big plays wherever you line him up. May take a bit longer to produce as a flanker.

12. Gabriel Davis UCF – (Projected Rd 3 – Rd 4) I may be higher on Davis than most, but I think this kid is the next Mike Evans. His QB at UCF consistently threw behind him (especially on slants) or under-threw him. At his best separating from his defender with the ball in the air; plays with an attitude.

13. Van Jefferson Florida – (Projected Rd 4) Tremendous route runner and hands. I may very well have this kid too low, but he wasn't able to work out and I wanted to get a sense of his speed prior to rating him higher.

14. Chase Claypool Notre Dame – (Projected Rd 3) Claypool is a clone of Raiders TE Darren Waller imo. Can he play WR at the Pro Level? Yes … however he'd be a “monster” if just switches full time to Tight End.

15. Michael Pittman USC – (Projected Rd 3 to Rd 4) Similar player to Garbriel Davis, but he's more of a jump ball outside receiver while I think Davis works the slant game / middle of the field better and gains outside separation better as well. Pittman will be a monster however in Special Teams. Rich man's version of Mack Hollins.

16. Donovan Peoples-Jones Michigan – (Projected Rd 4 to Rd 5) All the tools you want in a WR, but he never put it together at Michigan for some reason. If still there in Rd 4 you may want to take the chance. On some plays he looks like a beast, but then he disappears; may be lacking drive … too bad.

17. Brian Edwards South Carolina – (Projected Rd 4) Big and strong WR. I see him more of an H-Back player at the next level. Not very elusive and just average speed. Rated higher by most than I have him.

18. Antonio Gibson Memphis – (Projected Rd 5) Gibson is a WR/RB hybrid, but he shows better big play ability at receiver than the rest of the group. If drafted he would be used at both in this Offense as he has the size to play either position and has been successful enough at both.

*** I've watched film on plenty of other receivers, but I don't really see much else that would add anything to the Eagles that we don't already have. JJ Arcega-Whiteside was a better prospect than anyone not mentioned here. The top guy I didn't mention is probably Minnesota's Tyler Johnson which I see as a similar player to JJAW; we're not going to draft a player who's very comparable. Ditto guys like Antonio Gandy-Golden, Quintez Cephus etc … etc … they are just #3, #4 types who are not likely to make much of an impact in our Offense. There's also a couple of solid slot receivers in KJ Hill and James Proche, but these are likely 5th to 7th rounders and we already have Greg Ward in the slot who's also very comparable.

Fly Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you Rey for this excellent write up of WR's. Just my quick mostly gut thoughts. I don't like T Higgins. I think he is lazy/complacent. He might have special talent but his wimp out at combine time is telling to me. The gut feeling I get about Mims, screams wasted talent. I would place Duverney and Jefferson above Hamler (speed but suspect hands) and Shenault ( a guy who has injury concerns). I don't watch tape, but I do watch games during the season. So it is just my two cents.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Howie trades up for one of the 3 amigos, as I call them, plus any one of the other guys on this list, I'l be a happy camper. No doubt.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final WR Rankings for the Eagles “Only” ... based on how these players would fit for Philly, not exactly how I have them ranked "overall".

1. Jerry Jeudy Alabama – (Projected Rd 1) Think a faster Jerry Rice with a slight downgrade on hands. Inside, outside, it doesn't matter, this kid can dust defenders and should be a lock for 1200+ yards year in and year out. Good luck trying to stop him after the catch as well as he has Barry Sanders like moves for a WR.

2. Henry Ruggs Alabama – (Projected Rd 1) Ruggs is not just a speed guy, he can also work the middle of the field or be a Red Zone threat. Ruggs has huge hands for a WR and unlike most speed guys, he has some size to him and can win contested catches. This dude would open up all kinds of room for Ertz/Goedert.

3. CD Lamb Oklahoma – (Projected Rd 1) He's a young Larry Fitzgerald who will burn defenders if left single covered. Any one of these top 3 receivers would be like striking gold for Wentz.

4. Justin Jefferson LSU – (Projected Rd 1) People seem to pigeon-hole Jefferson to the slot, but he has the ability to play outside as well. Look at my Mock draft in another thread for my full evaluation of his game.

5. Brandon Aiyuk Arizona State – (Projected Rd 1 or early Rd 2) Aiyuk plays faster than his 40 time and he's explosive after the catch. He can create big time separation from the outside and would give us a big play outside guy for Wentz to target. He's also an excellent return man if needed as well. I see a lot of similarities between he and ODB when taking slants to the house.

6. Denzel Mims Baylor – (Projected Rd 1) Mims reminds me of Alshon Jeffery; Excellent size, uses hands really well off the Line and great mitts to come down with contested balls. His catch radius is insane and he knows how to body out defenders. Can flash that 4.38 speed if given enough space.

7. Tee Higgins Clemson – (Projected Rd 1 or early Rd 2) Quite simply, he's a tad slower Denzel Mims. That's the only reason I have Mims rated ahead of him. If you throw it near Higgins chances are he will end up with the catch as he has tremendous size and body control. Mims or Higgins can replace Alshon Jeffery.

8. Jalen Reagor TCU – (Projected Rd2) Made a horrible decision to add 10 lbs of muscle before the Combine which made his 40 slower than what it should have been. Make no mistake, this kid can take the top off a Defense from the outside. TCU QB was putrid in 2019; he will be a much better pro than what his college stats showed.

9. LeViska Shenault Colorado – (Projected mid-late Rd 2) If not for injury issues, Shenault would be higher on this list. Forget the bad 40 time which he never should have ran hurt, this dude is a beast. If he can stay healthy watch out! He's a stronger Percy Harvin.

10. KJ Hamler Penn State – (Projected mid-late Rd 2) If not for the drops, we would be talking about a 1st round prospect. This kid can run a sub 4.4 in his sleep and has loads of quickness. Size and drops will keep him as a Rd 2 prospect, but can be a deep threat / big play guy for the Birds.

11. Devin Duvernay Texas – (Projected late Rd2 to early Rd 3) If he played more outside as opposed to the slot at Texas, I would have him above Hamler. In any other draft I think he would be much higher, but he can produce big plays wherever you line him up. May take a bit longer to produce as a flanker.

12. Gabriel Davis UCF – (Projected Rd 3 – Rd 4) I may be higher on Davis than most, but I think this kid is the next Mike Evans. His QB at UCF consistently threw behind him (especially on slants) or under-threw him. At his best separating from his defender with the ball in the air; plays with an attitude.

13. Van Jefferson Florida – (Projected Rd 4) Tremendous route runner and hands. I may very well have this kid too low, but he wasn't able to work out and I wanted to get a sense of his speed prior to rating him higher.

14. Chase Claypool Notre Dame – (Projected Rd 3) Claypool is a clone of Raiders TE Darren Waller imo. Can he play WR at the Pro Level? Yes … however he'd be a “monster” if just switches full time to Tight End.

15. Michael Pittman USC – (Projected Rd 3 to Rd 4) Similar player to Garbriel Davis, but he's more of a jump ball outside receiver while I think Davis works the slant game / middle of the field better and gains outside separation better as well. Pittman will be a monster however in Special Teams. Rich man's version of Mack Hollins.

16. Donovan Peoples-Jones Michigan – (Projected Rd 4 to Rd 5) All the tools you want in a WR, but he never put it together at Michigan for some reason. If still there in Rd 4 you may want to take the chance. On some plays he looks like a beast, but then he disappears; may be lacking drive … too bad.

17. Brian Edwards South Carolina – (Projected Rd 4) Big and strong WR. I see him more of an H-Back player at the next level. Not very elusive and just average speed. Rated higher by most than I have him.

18. Antonio Gibson Memphis – (Projected Rd 5) Gibson is a WR/RB hybrid, but he shows better big play ability at receiver than the rest of the group. If drafted he would be used at both in this Offense as he has the size to play either position and has been successful enough at both.

*** I've watched film on plenty of other receivers, but I don't really see much else that would add anything to the Eagles that we don't already have. JJ Arcega-Whiteside was a better prospect than anyone not mentioned here. The top guy I didn't mention is probably Minnesota's Tyler Johnson which I see as a similar player to JJAW; we're not going to draft a player who's very comparable. Ditto guys like Antonio Gandy-Golden, Quintez Cephus etc … etc … they are just #3, #4 types who are not likely to make much of an impact in our Offense. There's also a couple of solid slot receivers in KJ Hill and James Proche, but these are likely 5th to 7th rounders and we already have Greg Ward in the slot who's also very comparable.
I actually think Peoples-Jones could be a steal in this draft. He was a 5* recruit coming out of HS. Unfortunately for him, he decided to stay home and never had the chance to develope. It's a darn shame. The kid has all the tools to be very good.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't be bad to draft someone with size to challenge JJAW.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could be Sims, or Tyler Johnson, and others that Rey listed as similar to JJAW.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Isaiah Hodgins of Oregon State - I think he's a sleeper in this group.

The thing about Jefferson is yes he probably has the tools to play outside, but to do it at a high level consistently? I don't think so. If he played outside, a really good Corner can lock him out. He was the beneficiary a lot of times playing opposite of Ja'Marr Chase. He's murder in the slot, that will be his best spot to maximize his ability.

Spot on about Claypool, Rey - I see the same projection for him in the NFL.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice job Rey. A week ago I was certain that Mims was not a 1st round talent but he seems to be climbing. I think I would have Davis and Duvernay over Hamler. My pick right now is Aiyuk and maybe Claypool, Davis or Van later. The Eagles must draft 2.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 2 of these receivers is the way to go ... I think in the end the Eagles do trade up for one of those top 3. It would not shock me if we trade up as far as 7 with the Panthers. Imagine this trade: Eagles trade pick 21, their 1st pick in 2021, a 4th rounder and "one" of either Sidney Jones or Rasul Douglas ... for Pick #7 and WR Curtis Samuel. We can snag Jerry Jeudy at 7 (stud WR on a 5 year rookie contract) and Samuel who's still just 23 years old with upside (we can sign him to an extension since he's an UFA in 2021). We still keep our 2nd Rd pick, 3rd round pick and 2 4th rounders. Yes we wouldn't have a 1st in 2021, but barring injuries it would likely be a late 1st.

Fly Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 2 of these receivers is the way to go ... I think in the end the Eagles do trade up for one of those top 3. It would not shock me if we trade up as far as 7 with the Panthers. Imagine this trade: Eagles trade pick 21, their 1st pick in 2021, a 4th rounder and "one" of either Sidney Jones or Rasul Douglas ... for Pick #7 and WR Curtis Samuel. We can snag Jerry Jeudy at 7 (stud WR on a 5 year rookie contract) and Samuel who's still just 23 years old with upside (we can sign him to an extension since he's an UFA in 2021). We still keep our 2nd Rd pick, 3rd round pick and 2 4th rounders. Yes we wouldn't have a 1st in 2021, but barring injuries it would likely be a late 1st.

You might be onto something here Rey. There has to be a reason the Eagles have not addressed WR yet this off-season. Roseman is not stupid or timid. He goes after what he wants for the team. This way the Eagles give Wentz WR to grow with over the next 4-5 years. We know the Eagles are not reluctant to go after what they want. So yes they might want to go after Lamb or Jeudy. Maybe not Ruggs as much. I do like the trade proposal but do you think the Panthers would hold out for our third this year. It is late third and so trading it versus our four is not too big of a difference? I could see them trading up.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be onto something here Rey. There has to be a reason the Eagles have not addressed WR yet this off-season. Roseman is not stupid or timid. He goes after what he wants for the team. This way the Eagles give Wentz WR to grow with over the next 4-5 years. We know the Eagles are not reluctant to go after what they want. So yes they might want to go after Lamb or Jeudy. Maybe not Ruggs as much. I do like the trade proposal but do you think the Panthers would hold out for our third this year. It is late third and so trading it versus our four is not too big of a difference? I could see them trading up.

I wouldn't not make that deal if the holdup would be a 3rd instead of a 4th. I look at it like this ... Curtis Samuel is a plug and play 23 year old play maker with speed. There's no guess work with him like there would be for most rookie receivers; he's improved all 3 years he's been in the league. Then you have Jeudy who's as NFL ready as any rookie receiver I've seen come into the league in a while. We're talking instant impact to a team who's already set at TE and RB ... all you need is outside weapons. Even if you give up that 3rd, you still have the 2nd and three 4th rounders which can get you back into Rd 3 if you want. We have to take advantage of Wentz' prime and a trade like this would really get the ball rolling.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very intriguing. I hear rumors that Ertz may the key to a major deal, as his contract is up in two years, and his worth is now - not then. I hope not, but you have to give up quality to get quality. except in the case of De'Andre Hopkins, which still baffles most of us, as well as the national experts too.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very intriguing. I hear rumors that Ertz may the key to a major deal, as his contract is up in two years, and his worth is now - not then. I hope not, but you have to give up quality to get quality. except in the case of De'Andre Hopkins, which still baffles most of us, as well as the national experts too.

I don't think Ertz will go anywhere. For starters he's best friends with Wentz and is his main go-to guy. The Eagles have an advantage over most teams in that they have that 1-2 punch of top TE's like the Pats did back when they had Gronk & Hernandez. You don't break that up, you compliment it. Also, as far as being able to rework Ertz' contract to stay here .... it benefits us a ton to trade up for that stud WR and get him for 5 years under a rookie contract rather than having traded for De'Andre Hopkins which would have taken 18-20 mil per year Cap wise. Hopkins wants his current contract reworked which is a big reason the Texans moved on from him. You have the room to keep Ertz if your #1 WR is on a rookie deal; that probably would not have been possible if we would have acquired Hopkins.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade up to 7 we better get Derrick Brown.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
E-NUT, with all due respect, we are not gong to draft a DT in the 1st round. Our D-Line is set for now. I don't even see a trade for Ngakoue, unless it is for less than a #1. I'm convinced that Howie is gong for one of the 3 top WR's, and come back with another one of the deep pool of receivers in the next round we have, whether it is a second or 3rd round. D Brown is a monster, but we need receivers above all else. Right now, we have the worst set of WR's on the league, considering the health of DJAX and Jeffrey. We need young guys with speed, hands, and moves.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
E-NUT, with all due respect, we are not gong to draft a DT in the 1st round. Our D-Line is set for now. I don't even see a trade for Ngakoue, unless it is for less than a #1. I'm convinced that Howie is gong for one of the 3 top WR's, and come back with another one of the deep pool of receivers in the next round we have, whether it is a second or 3rd round. D Brown is a monster, but we need receivers above all else. Right now, we have the worst set of WR's on the league, considering the health of DJAX and Jeffrey. We need young guys with speed, hands, and moves.
These guys aren't Julio or AJ Green, they're all coverable and not worth giving up multiple firsts for. Elite DL are worth giving up a lot for. Letting our WRs get as bad as they are was a huge mistake and forcing ourselves to give up a ton of value just to try to fix it would be another huge mistake.

Cox is aging. He might already be past his prime. He sure conserved himself until the end of the season last year so we know he can already feel it. Hargrave is a good get, but he's not a beast. Who will be our beast along the DLine? There's no one. Brown would be. If we're going to give up crazy value it should be for the most important place on the field, the DLine.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jeudy is a special talent at WR ... I think he can be that true #1 we need. We have to get Wentz some true talent out there. It's up to the scouting department to determine if the other receivers after those top 3 are comparable ... we can not afford to strike out on getting Wentz top notch receivers. Can't have another crop of JJAW's.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Cosell rates Jeudy (A+), clearly above Ruggs and Lamb (A). The rest are mostly B+'s = Jefferson, Mims, Aiyuk, Reagor, Higgins, Shenault, Claypool, Pittman, etc. After that, there are many B/C prospects, and are very good, that's why there is so much depth in this draft. Because of our dearth of good receivers, we need to stockpile our corps. Next year, then yes, we want to draft a stud DT. The game today is speed, especially at the skill positions. That's what I think, for what it's worth.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting.......Hmmmm
For the record if I could get one of the top 2 WR’s I would trade Ertz. He already turned down a contract extension.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
92456292_2648427551952992_2788450544186818560_n.jpg