• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember when we lost to the Skins in 2010... and...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were 4-3 heading into the bye... and everyone said our season was over? That we didn't have a QB, and that Cutler was a complete and total bust and should be cut loose?

Well, we ended up going to the brink of the Super Bowl that season. Right now, we just lost to Washington, we're 4-3... We don't know anything about our QB situation... and a lot of people think our season is over.

Off to the playoffs we GOOO! :yahoo:

LOL... in all seriousness, it's a pretty dark day to be a Bears fan. Just trying to bring up a positive. Maybe Cutler will only miss 4-6 weeks. With a few sub .500 and struggling opponents on the schedule. Maybe McCown can keep it up and keep us in the hunt until Cutler comes back healthy? Maybe Cutler is out for the season, but McCown is going to do his best Kurt Warner impression and lead us to a division title?

I can see the ESPN headlines now; "In 2010. Josh McCown was retired, teaching, and coaching high school football. The long time journeyman QB tells us how his long and bumpy football road finally led to a light at the end of the tunnel in this ESPN exclusive."

Oh boy! The press is going to eat this one up!

Ugh... I wish. Trust me, I'm disgusted with this team. The good news is, now I can't really be let down any longer. Only pleasantly surprised.

The bye couldn't come at a better time. At least the defense should be healthy two weeks from now.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, Rich. Positive expectations are severely tempered, so like you pleasant surprises usurps letdowns from here on out.

C

cubzzzfanincali

If it wasn't for how terrible the defense is, maybe I could fake some optimism.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
multiple injuries to key players and not enough depth spells doom for any team

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
multiple injuries to key players and not enough depth spells doom for any team

We'll just have to see how McCown does. Three of the next five games are very winnable (GB, DET, BAL, STL, MIN)

Cutler could be back for STL or MIN. Briggs, as of now, is scheduled to be back for the Minny game, or the Dallas game the following week.

They just need to hang around in the hunt. After GB, their schedule is quite favorable until... well... the next GB game in week 17. lol

running bear828

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a QB league yes, but McCown did a heck of a job and he will be practicing with the ones for 2 weeks. I was really shocked at how well McCown did. I expected him to fold like Hanie did. Trestmas offensive scheme seems to work well for capable QB's. McCown's QB rating was as good as Arron Rodgers Sunday. Of course McCown was playing against a terrible D. Thats also why I am glad they got Palmer back. I was massively impressed with his arm, capability to read the D and make adjustments at the line and ability to scramble. Oh and btw, did you all know that McCown had the best game of his career when he played and beat Cutler and the Broncos? Just a funny little side note.

running bear828

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I fully expect Kromer will be giving the O-line fits for 2 weeks getting them ready to handle blitzes again. Long is gonna be / better be a beast when we play GB. Green Bays front defensive line has improved since the beginning of the season.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice flashback going to 2010...

Actually, as was stated, McCown did a nice job once he shook the rust off. McCown only played 40 minutes and threw for 204 yards and 1 TD. (Rushed for 33 more.) If he can do that coming in "cold" I think the offense will be ok.

As for the D, it may not look very optimistic with Briggs gone. But I still think the D is salvageable. How? Scrap the Cover 2. Play more man coverage. Teams won't be able to prepare as well for it (initially), and in the games where we did play man-to-man (under Lovie), we did pretty well. Better than we may do sticking with Cover 2 and a bunch of "practice field" fill-ins.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown did well filling in but comparing this team to the 2010 team is laughable at best. No defense and an average offense does not make a championship happen.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCown did well filling in but comparing this team to the 2010 team is laughable at best. No defense and an average offense does not make a championship happen.

... I wasn't comparing this team to the 2010 team. I was making a joke.

... but uh... this offense is clearly above average. They are #2 in the entire league in scoring.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Average offense this year?? in 2010 Forte was the only reliable receiving target...with 2 pint size, inconsistent deep threats in Hester and Knox. This year, in addition to MF, Cutler has three big targets that can get downfield. Blocking is a wee bit better, too.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average offense this year?? in 2010 Forte was the only reliable receiving target...with 2 pint size, inconsistent deep threats in Hester and Knox. This year, in addition to MF, Cutler has three big targets that can get downfield. Blocking is a wee bit better, too.

I dont think we have a single deep target. Jeffrey and Marshall are big mid range guys, nobody is gonna run away from anybody. If they lined up hester like they have been to sprint down the field a dozen times a game you open the middle for marshall and jeffrey.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think we have a single deep target. Jeffrey and Marshall are big mid range guys, nobody is gonna run away from anybody. If they lined up hester like they have been to sprint down the field a dozen times a game you open the middle for marshall and jeffrey.

:L

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With Cutler out I predict they will be average. I agree that the offense has shown tremendous improvement this season, but the Cutler injury is going to hurt (no pun intended).

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Cutler out I predict they will be average. I agree that the offense has shown tremendous improvement this season, but the Cutler injury is going to hurt (no pun intended).

The thing that has me optimistic about the offense maintaining steady production with Cutler out, is that our schedule is pretty lenient with the defenses we'll see.

Cutler is definitely missing: GB, DET, BAL

Cutler may also miss: STL, MIN

Green Bay is battling some injuries right now and Matthews is out. Detroit ranks 31st overall and 24th against the run. Baltimore is 19th overall and 18th against the run. St. Louis is near the bottom of the league in ever defensive category, and Minnesota isn't any better.

As long as we don't put ourselves in situations where we HAVE to throw the ball 40 plus times. I think Forte will be VERY productive, and McCown will play good enough to keep defenses from showing 8 man fronts.

We have weapons, and this isn't like 2011 with Hanie in there without Forte and Khalil Bell or Barber as his RB. Not to mention, Knox and Roy Williams as his receivers. Defenses could smell the bleeding during pre-game warm-ups.

We need to win 3 of 5 without Cutler vs GB, DET, BAL, STL, and MIN. Despite everything, I think we're capable of doing that with McCown. Although, the GB game seems like a lost cause.

Damnit... holding that late lead vs Washington sure would have us in a WAAAAY better position at 5-2. That's for sure.