• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember when people said Penn State's punishment was worse than the Death Penalty?

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that why they currently have the #3 recruiting class in the country (Rivals)

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was not worse, the NCAA just chose to punish football when it should have been the entire university.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's early, didn't Kentucky have the number one recruiting class at some point last year?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The football program should have never been punished anyways. Not surprising the NCAA realized this and gave back scholarships. I'll never forget dumbass Mark Emmert said they, "put football ahead of academic integrity" yet PSU in most years is in the top 10 in graduation rates and the NCAA did next to nothing with UNC when they blatantly put athletics ahead of academic integrity. Surprised the bowl ban hasn't been lifted yet.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State was tried in the media. If the media would blow up over the things that have happened at all universities, then I would be fine with the penalties Penn State suffered. Penn State was royally hosed by the NCAA.

Ohio State was in trouble for tattoos. Wow! tattoos.

You can cheat, you can pay players, you can sexually ****** college coeds, but by golly if someone that used to be employed by the university does something crappy, throw the book at them.

Look at the accusations of Oklahoma State last year. Anything come of that? Nope.

Cleve Bryant from Texas was sexually ******ing college girls on the University of Texas Campus while an EMPLOYEE of Texas, he threatened their jobs. Texas made the problem go away by throwing money at it. When your known around campus as "Old Freak Nasty" that is not a good thing. I have heard he is still being paid hush money because of what he knows. Colt McCoy's wife said on the radio that Texas players were getting paid, not Colt but other players were.

North Carolina continually cheats on academics, and the NCAA just winks and nods.

Nevin Shapiro ruined 100s of lives by robbing people and giving the money to U of Miami and lavisihing gifts on students, recruits, and administrators, yet, no wrong doing on Miami's part whatsoever. How about a clawback from Miami for all the people that were robbed by Shapiro?

Yes, I realize that the administrators at Penn State and Ohio State were guilty, but so are the administrators at North Carolina, Miami, Oklahoma State, and Texas. Personally, I think Miami and North Carolina should have the death penalty thrown at them. Miami for being complicit with Nevin Shapiro and North Carolina for being repeat academic cheaters.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That misses the pt entirely on OSU. They were put on probation, because the coaxh lied to the NCAA, covered up violations, and played players with questionable eligibility. Tatoos were just the start of the issue. I actually think OSu got off very easy.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Recruiting rankings mean nothing 8 months before LOI day.

Really a meaningless statistic.

Rivals gives points per recruit.

They have 16 recruiting commits whereas teams like SC, Texas, UGA, and several more powers have less than 10. So like mentioned, this statistic is meaningless.

Yes, not the death penalty type of numbers certainly. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't ever remember anybody comparing what PSU received from the NCAA to what SMU received. No sanctions will ever trump what SMU received; EVER! The NCAA handed SMU the death penalty in 1986 and immediately shut down their program for the 1987 season. SMU then decided to not play in '88 as well. They were banned from bowl games till '89 and banned from television til '89 (once SMU received the DP, this was the beginning of the end of the SWC). They lost 55 new schollies over 4 years. They couldn't conduct any off campus recruiting until '88. Once they started playing in '89 again, all of their players were walk ons (every single starter was a walk on; think about that one). I remember Houston tried to drop 100 pts on the Ponies that year, beating them 96-21 and Cougar High called a timeout before the game ended to try and score 100. This totally destroyed the SMU football program for 25 years. Ponies didn't make a bowl game until 2009. So no, what PSU received from the NCAA doesn't come close to comparing what SMU received.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like someone stated before. See Kentucky last year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky wasn't in the top 10 last year, at least from June until signing day. Kentucky ended up 20th. Penn State very well could pull in a top 10 class for 2014. These rankings are according to espn.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even having the top classes at signing day doesnt always mean anything just ask programs like Tennessee, Miami, Texas.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What happened boosted their national recognition at a time when they were mediocre and on a down slide. Any publicity is good publicity as they say.

They are literally the Kim Kardashian of football programs. I take that back. Penn State's name is an insult to the Kardashians. I feel bad.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky wasn't in the top 10 last year, at least from June until signing day. Kentucky ended up 20th. Penn State very well could pull in a top 10 class for 2014. These rankings are according to espn.

ESPN's scouts are an absolute joke. They leech off of other outlets to find the big names and then keep the big names and interesting stories front and center to get clicks on their site.

They do no real evaluation and if anyone tells you otherwise, they're lying.

Last edited by a moderator:

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At one point this summer, Kentucky's recruiting class owned the No. 1 ranking in the country.

Read more here: A top-10 football recruiting class at Kentucky? Here's how the Cats are doing it | Football recruiting | Kentucky.com

All the inbred UK fans were going crazy last year at their number #1 May recruiting class.

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They had a top 5 class in July (judging by the date of the post), at least according to Rivals...although I'm not exactly sure when that ended.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/college-football-forum-message-board-general-discussion/105668-kentucky-football-building-powerhouse.html

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had a top 5 class in July (judging by the date of the post), at least according to Rivals...although I'm not exactly sure when that ended.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/college-football-forum-message-board-general-discussion/105668-kentucky-football-building-powerhouse.html

Yeah I guess differing sites have different rankings. ESPN didn't have UK in the top 10 at this point last year and moving forward to signing day for 2014. And that same site has PSU currently at 3 as well.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky brought in one class that will MAYBE live up to all the stars next to the names of the kids who signed up. Many HS kids are seduced by new coaching staffs and their bullshit they try and sell, but next year when they're not new anymore and they just went 2-10 and 0-8 in the SEC, guess what? Your credibility is gone forever.