• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Regression to the mean

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know what I'm going to say is going to sound shocking, but this team isn't as bad offensively as they've shown thus far...no really, they aren't.
Huff .229 BABIP
Ross .282 BABIP
Tejada .200 BABIP
Posey .264 BABIP
Fontenot .279 BABIP (how great is it that he should get be better?)

In fact the Giants as a team are tied for 23rd in the majors in BABIP at .275 whereas last season they were tied for 18 at .293.

I know the fact that this team just swept the Rockies makes the timing for this post a little weird, but my point is that good times should be just around the corner and that this team doesn't need any drastic roster changes just yet.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of the posters here agree with you, it's over at DumDumVille where everyone can't stop talking about how to get Reyes.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know what I'm going to say is going to sound shocking, but this team isn't as bad offensively as they've shown thus far...no really, they aren't.
Huff .229 BABIP
Ross .282 BABIP
Tejada .200 BABIP
Posey .264 BABIP

In fact the Giants as a team are tied for 23rd in the majors in BABIP at .275 whereas last season they were tied for 18 at .293.

I know the fact that this team just swept the Rockies makes the timing for this post a little weird, but my point is that good times should be just around the corner and that this team doesn't need any drastic roster changes just yet.

Yes. You are right. Although, it is regression TOWARDS the mean. Since your expected performance going forward is your mean performance, so you'd expect the numbers to approach the mean asymptotically.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad you brought this up. I hope Torres returns soon because Rowand is on the brink of a major slump IMO.

His BABIP is .352, and he's still only batting .271. So he's been lucky and he still isn't great. He has a 29/5 K/BB ratio and a .317 OBP, these are all just signs that he is due for a slump.

Whats the news on a Torres return date?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad you brought this up. I hope Torres returns soon because Rowand is on the brink of a major slump IMO.

His BABIP is .352, and he's still only batting .271. So he's been lucky and he still isn't great. He has a 29/5 K/BB ratio and a .317 OBP, these are all just signs that he is due for a slump.

Whats the news on a Torres return date?

I have not heard any timetables recently, but he is beginning to do well in Fresno. Yesterday he was 2-4 with a walk, SB and an assist from the OF. I would not be SHOCKED to hear that he is activated in time for tomorrow's game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huff .229 BABIP
Ross .282 BABIP
Tejada .200 BABIP
Posey .264 BABIP

I don't have faith in Tejada improving his BABIP very much. It just seems that he is not hitting the ball very hard.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not heard any timetables recently, but he is beginning to do well in Fresno. Yesterday he was 2-4 with a walk, SB and an assist from the OF. I would not be SHOCKED to hear that he is activated in time for tomorrow's game.

Torres is supposed to be back tomorrow night, per Bochy yesterday.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that spells the end for Ford?

Rohlinger first maybe???

I mean he hasn't played in a single game yet and we have Burriss. I'd rather see the best player to win a ring and our hearts with the least amount of hits ever.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rohlinger first maybe???

I mean he hasn't played in a single game yet and we have Burriss. I'd rather see the best player to win a ring and our hearts with the least amount of hits ever.

But we are adding an OFer, we should lose an OFer, right? When DeRosa comes back (maybe tomorrow as well?) THEN Rohly goes down.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we are adding an OFer, we should lose an OFer, right? When DeRosa comes back (maybe tomorrow as well?) THEN Rohly goes down.

Well yeah, I'm just saying has Rohly even done anything lol? Ford at least provides some value with his amazing wheels.

But agreed, if they both come back at the same time, it really doesn't matter.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You have Manny for that role, AND he offers depth in the infield, which is more important than the OF right now.

On this team neither will see much of any playing time except on the basepaths, and Ford seems like he's much better for that role. Thus, in terms of potential "wins," a little extra talent on the basepaths adds more than an extra unit of infield depth. Especially considering that Manny has hands of stone.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On this team neither will see much of any playing time except on the basepaths, and Ford seems like he's much better for that role. Thus, in terms of potential "wins," a little extra talent on the basepaths adds more than an extra unit of infield depth. Especially considering that Manny has hands of stone.

When Towers and DeRo are activated today, I'm pretty certain both Rolo and Ford will be heading back to Fresburg. Keeping Ford, while he would provide a nice PR option, would leave us extremely thin in the IF, and overloaded with 6 OF. The only backup IF would be Miggy. Say Franchez pulls a hammy and Fonty gets hit by a pitch. Now we're looking at The Bat at 1b, Huff at 3b, Miggy at SS and DeRo at 2b.

Manny stays.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When Towers and DeRo are activated today, I'm pretty certain both Rolo and Ford will be heading back to Fresburg. Keeping Ford, while he would provide a nice PR option, would leave us extremely thin in the IF, and overloaded with 6 OF. The only backup IF would be Miggy. Say Franchez pulls a hammy and Fonty gets hit by a pitch. Now we're looking at The Bat at 1b, Huff at 3b, Miggy at SS and DeRo at 2b.

Manny stays.

I still think I'm right.

...and I met Willie Mays so my opinion means more than all you guys put together!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think I'm right.

...and I met Willie Mays so my opinion means more than all you guys put together!

Just dont forget to pickup your teeth before you leave...

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still think I'm right.

That depends...did you meet him well enough that he remembers who you are too?