• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Refs Inconsistency In the Playoffs - Blatant No Calls

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in no way am I saying it didn't suck. But in the history of calls that have gone against the Lions, that one wasn't that bad.

Just once I'd like to see a loss (if we have to) to an elite team without the refs slapping us with some bogus call.

That's 2 outta 2 times vs Seattle.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're supposed to review every play. Bad call.
Um, what? Is that really your understanding of replay? *Scoring* plays are reviewed automatically, but it's not to see if the WR committed a facemask while they were getting mugged.

At worst for Seattle on that play, it's offsetting and replay the down.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just once I'd like to see a loss (if we have to) to an elite team without the refs slapping us with some bogus call.

That's 2 outta 2 times vs Seattle.
Oh gawd. Detroit was trash Saturday night. Tons of drops, only 3 times past the 50 yard line. Never came close to scoring a single TD. You're fortunate to only lose by 20.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, what? Is that really your understanding of replay? *Scoring* plays are reviewed automatically, but it's not to see if the WR committed a facemask while they were getting mugged.

At worst for Seattle on that play, it's offsetting and replay the down.

Yep. Should have been off setting and the down replayed.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh gawd. Detroit was trash Saturday night. Tons of drops, only 3 times past the 50 yard line. Never came close to scoring a single TD. You're fortunate to only lose by 20.

All the more reason Seattle doesn't need extra help from the refs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're supposed to review every play. Bad call.

They don't review penalties except for clear cut cases like too many men on the field which are objectively plain to see.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't review penalties except for clear cut cases like too many men on the field which are objectively plain to see.

You'd think someone would notice it. These are supposed to be the pros. Should we expect WRs to start twisting CBs heads around by their facemasks regularly now?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think someone would notice it. These are supposed to be the pros. Are we supposed to just expect WRs to start twisting CBs heads around by their facemasks regularly now?

LOL. He twisted the CBs head around, huh?

I'm guessing the refs were mostly looking the football.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the facemask at first because I was marveling at the catch as was Michaels and Collinsworth on the broadcast. It wasn't until about 5 minutes later and a bunch of super slo-mo that the NBC crew actually caught it. Hard for the ref to catch it at full speed. Not to make excuses. They missed it plain and simple. As for the scoring review, even if they see it in slo mo, it is a penalty which is non reviewable by the replay rules as they stand. I don't necessarily agree with that and it goes back to the league really not getting the rule book straight and not using common sense. It should have been offsetting penalties and Seattle likely gets at least 3 points anyway. But it's done. I aint defending it. It just is what it is and I have doubts either of the calls mentioned changing the outcome of those games. The Giants D gave up 38 points, did they not? Take that one TD away and they still aren't in that game.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. He twisted the CBs head around, huh?

I'm guessing the refs were mostly looking the football.

Obvious offensive PI. And they called defensive PI. So they were looking at the CB. Blown call.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the facemask at first because I was marveling at the catch as was Michaels and Collinsworth on the broadcast. It wasn't until about 5 minutes later and a bunch of super slo-mo that the NBC crew actually caught it. Hard for the ref to catch it at full speed. Not to make excuses. They missed it plain and simple. As for the scoring review, even if they see it in slo mo, it is a penalty which is non reviewable by the replay rules as they stand. I don't necessarily agree with that and it goes back to the league really not getting the rule book straight and not using common sense. It should have been offsetting penalties and Seattle likely gets at least 3 points anyway. But it's done. I aint defending it. It just is what it is and I have doubts either of the calls mentioned changing the outcome of those games. The Giants D gave up 38 points, did they not? Take that one TD away and they still aren't in that game.

Yes, its easy to say that now. But it was 10-6 in the fourth quarter. Take that TD away and its a different game. Maybe its 6-6? Or 3-6 Lions.

Its not why we lost. But it sure didn't help either.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, its easy to say that now. But it was 10-6 in the fourth quarter. Take that TD away and its a different game. Maybe its 6-6? Or 3-6 Lions.

Its not why we lost. But it sure didn't help either.
Well, let's not get carried away. If you "take away" that TD, it's still a situation where the down is replayed. It was 4th & 2 I believe...and there's nothing that says they wouldn't have just converted on the next try or once again scored a TD. Seattle had run the ball 9 straight times on that drive. Detroit was getting owned on the ground.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's not get carried away. If you "take away" that TD, it's still a situation where the down is replayed. It was 4th & 2 I believe...and there's nothing that says they wouldn't have just converted on the next try or once again scored a TD. Seattle had run the ball 9 straight times on that drive. Detroit was getting owned on the ground.

Rawls last run before that 2 yard pass TD was for no gain. Anything was possible.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rawls last run before that 2 yard pass TD was for no gain. Anything was possible.
I do agree that anything was possible. My reasoning had more to do with the Lions doing nothing offensively is all. You can't win in the play-offs scoring 6 points.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that anything was possible. My reasoning had more to do with the Lions doing nothing offensively is all. You can't win in the play-offs scoring 6 points.

I agree. Our OC is overrated. And we desperately need a run game/RB.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs do the best they can. They don't have the luxury of super slow mo with 5 viewing angles.

There was some griping about Richardson's facemask on his TD but I can't picture how an NFL ref would ever be looking at that.

Didn't the league admit they got that call wrong? However, you are right they see everything as bang bang and we as armchair officials have the luxury of seeing this multiple times and extremely slowly.

With that said, it's not just the post season... it was very inconsistent during the regular season too. Front office has totally F'd this game up!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about offensive PI on the Hail Mary TD? The Green Bay receiver pushed off right in front of a Ref - and no call!
I didn't see a push off and I replayed that a few times... Maybe you were drunk.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the league office can give the Lions a participation trophy.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, I really hope the Lions get it together and have some success while Stafford is in his prime years. I watched painfully as the organization wasted the gift that was Barry Sanders. Stafford isn't in the same stratosphere as Barry was/is but Matthew is a really good QB and a gamer. Cheers, mate.:suds: