• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins to put the franchise tag on Cousins?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been hearing this all morning. What kind of moron is running the Redskins? It appears the thought process is that they will franchise him in hopes to recoup some of the picks they got when they traded for Smith.

1. No GM in the NFL is stupid enough to fall for this. They know good and well this is a desperation move. In the end the Skins are going to have to pull the franchise tag.

2. Cousins still holds all the power in this. He does not have to sign the franchise tag tender and the entire $34.5 mil counts against the cap. On top of that he can refuse to sign a long term deal with any team that trades from him.

Reactions: GNG

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard A. Schefter saying this.....a plan to trade him with a ridiculous one year number against the cap?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Redskins will "consider" placing the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins.

The Redskins are committed to Alex Smith as their starting quarterback but could conceivably tag Cousins and trade him to a quarterback-needy team for draft picks. This way the Redskins would also have some influence over where Cousins lands rather than letting him hit free agency and sign with a team of his choosing. Of course, Washington wouldn't be able to execute a trade until Cousins signs his $34.5 million franchise tender, which he could put off for weeks or even months while still counting against the Redskins' salary cap. The Redskins would also lose out on a 2019 compensatory pick if they choose to tag Cousins. Ultimately, we expect Cousins to hit the open market.:suds:

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What prevents Cousins from not signing the offer?
Can he just go to another team, when he becomes a free agent?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're even more insane than I thought they were a few days ago, apparently. Either that or the Browns are in their ear about Cousins or something.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can do this, and then remove the tag later before the start of the season if there are no offers (which there probably won't be).

So, it messes with Cousins, which is probably their real goal here, since they are a no class organization. But it won't hurt their cap long term.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with Cousins not signing the fran tag. he would still be able to go talk with teams without collusion. Just delays when he can sign with whatever team.
A total prick move by the skins, but ultimately wont change where Cousins lands.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it makes sense if a team like Cleveland, or any other team that wants him but know he won't sign as a FA with him. They are probably going to be dumb enough to take Allen so trading for Cousins would be a smart move.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no shill for the management, they are idiots. But seriously what's the harm in trying if they can always pull the tag? Would Cousins really be willing to wait it out and not sign for months when he wants to sign and get to work for his new team? I don't see that.

It's no more a "dick move" than Cousins was being a dick for playing it smart and exercising the power that he had. He made it tough on them, they owe him nothing at this point and if they can recoup a pick they owe it to the team to try. And I'm a huge Cousins guy and I'll root for him wherever he goes just to prove to the Redskins that they didn't appreciate what they had.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What prevents Cousins from not signing the offer?
Can he just go to another team, when he becomes a free agent?

If he is under the franchise tag designation he can sign with any team but it will cost that team 2 first round picks to do so. However, there is no shot of this happening because no team in the NFL will be stupid enough to do this. Not sure what is going on with the Redskins front office but it appears they hired a good number of buffoons.

It is a dick move by the Skins if their plan is to make things difficult for Cousins. This is more than likely going to blow up in their face if their try it. Once the make the designation the $34.5 mil immediately counts against the cap so it will hurt them if they try go after free agents. My understanding is they are projected to have close to $60 mil in cap space. Take away $34 mil and the the rookie cap money (not sure what that is) and they do not have much negotiating power and this team has some serious needs. Playing chicken with a player you know has you by the balls is fucking moronic. Cousins does not have to sign the tender and it still counts against the cap.

Another thing to consider is if they give Cousins the franchise designation they forgo any compensation if signs anywhere else. Again, another sign of stupid management.

If I was Cousins I would dare them to give me the franchise tag. Then I would sign it an put them on the hook for $34.5 million. Can you imagine someone playing $34 million for a backup QB?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am no shill for the management, they are idiots. But seriously what's the harm in trying if they can always pull the tag? Would Cousins really be willing to wait it out and not sign for months when he wants to sign and get to work for his new team? I don't see that.

It's no more a "dick move" than Cousins was being a dick for playing it smart and exercising the power that he had. He made it tough on them, they owe him nothing at this point and if they can recoup a pick they owe it to the team to try. And I'm a huge Cousins guy and I'll root for him wherever he goes just to prove to the Redskins that they didn't appreciate what they had.

Doesn’t that hamstring them in signing FAs? Even their own?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WOW...a dick move for playing it smart? CRAZY TALK!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can do this, and then remove the tag later before the start of the season if there are no offers (which there probably won't be).

So, it messes with Cousins, which is probably their real goal here, since they are a no class organization. But it won't hurt their cap long term.

If cousins signs the tag, the tag money is on the books, unless they find a trade partner.
The trade partner will either own the tag money or work out a deal with Cousins.
If tagged Cousins can completely fuck over the skids by refusing the talk contract with any suited.

Oh how I hope :hope: the Skins do tag him.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins should sign it the moment they present the tag.
Yes....that fucks up any additional signings

Agree 100%

If I was Cousins I would immediately sign it. It is a guaranteed contract and the Skins would be fucked.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If cousins signs the tag, the tag money is on the books, unless they find a trade partner.
The trade partner will either own the tag money or work out a deal with Cousins.
If tagged Cousins can completely fuck over the skids by refusing the talk contract with any suited.

Oh how I hope :hope: the Skins do tag him.

One point people are forgetting is that once they make the designation it counts against the cap regardless of whether he signs it or not. However....if he does sign it the Skins are fucked because it is fully guaranteed.