• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins Misc News & Info

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Holcomb was a 5th round rookie who was probably unsure of what he saw

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This video and the one above are very interesting. Both support my belief that Payne was big enough and strong enough to play NG when in the 3-4 defense. Some did not feel the same way. The second video shows what happens when you don't follow the coaching or the coaching is bad. Payne went the wrong way. The play is being zone block so the entire movement is to the left.

The DLinemans job is to attack the blocking whether they make the tackle or not. In this case Payne just went the wrong play so no one had to block him. In zone blocking you do not have to block a defender as long as you wall him off. Which way Payne went should not have affected Holcomb's timing to attack the play. He was late on the get off. The second play was just poorly played by the defense.

So that leaves the question was Payne really in the wrong gap? Probably, but maybe not. The Redskins ran a 1 gap defense last year. There is no reason to read, you attack your gap. If you watch the play Sweat got sealed by one player, Allen got double teamed and then one of those blockers came off to get Holcomb. The play was well blocked by Carolina and no one on the Redskins D won their match up.

In the first video the DLine was stout and did not give up any ground, Sweat crashed down and made the tackle with Collins right behind him. On this play the D attacked and made a good play. The offense blocked one on one in this play.

I enjoy watching individual play videos but always caution it is only a story of one play.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This video and the one above are very interesting. Both support my belief that Payne was big enough and strong enough to play NG when in the 3-4 defense. Some did not feel the same way. The second video shows what happens when you don't follow the coaching or the coaching is bad. Payne went the wrong way. The play is being zone block so the entire movement is to the left.

The DLinemans job is to attack the blocking whether they make the tackle or not. In this case Payne just went the wrong play so no one had to block him. In zone blocking you do not have to block a defender as long as you wall him off. Which way Payne went should not have affected Holcomb's timing to attack the play. He was late on the get off. The second play was just poorly played by the defense.

So that leaves the question was Payne really in the wrong gap? Probably, but maybe not. The Redskins ran a 1 gap defense last year. There is no reason to read, you attack your gap. If you watch the play Sweat got sealed by one player, Allen got double teamed and then one of those blockers came off to get Holcomb. The play was well blocked by Carolina and no one on the Redskins D won their match up.

In the first video the DLine was stout and did not give up any ground, Sweat crashed down and made the tackle with Collins right behind him. On this play the D attacked and made a good play. The offense blocked one on one in this play.

I enjoy watching individual play videos but always caution it is only a story of one play.
That’s why I post the clips good breakdown

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.3 speed at WR is given more credit than it is due. Not a lot of guys with that speed make it big. Remember Jerry Rice ran a 4.59 and I never saw many people catch him when he turned it upfield.