• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox enjoy soaring prices following Derek Jeter's retirement announcement

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Jeter's announcement Wednesday that he will retire after the upcoming season turned out to be a boon for fans and brokers of the New York Yankees' rivals, the Boston Red Sox.

In an ironic twist, the Yankees' series-ending series in Boston (Sept. 26-28) will now be the shortstop's final regular-season games.

Within minutes of the announcement, which was posted to Jeter's Facebook page, ticket prices soared on the web.

Ticket aggregator TiqIQ said that the cheapest seat for the finale at around 2 p.m. ET, before Jeter's announcement was posted, was $26. An hour later, the site didn't have anything for less than $200.

"People bought what they could buy," said Chris Matcovich, TiqIQ's vice president for data. "And then brokers started pulling their tickets so as not to sell their seats too cheaply."

Matcovich said the company was founded in 2009 and had never seen an immediate reaction in the sports-ticketing market like this.

Jim Holzman, CEO and president of Boston-based Ace Tickets, the largest broker in town, saw the huge uptick.

"The final series against the Yankees was too far away to think about this morning," said Holzman, who has been in business since 1979. "Not now. We're seeing action from people in Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York."

Source: ESPN Boston

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am such an idiot... I've been saying for a while that this will be Jeter's last season...

Why didn't I snatch up those $26 tickets!!

Argh...

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Yankees are in playoff contention, his last game will be in Fenway, but that’s big if considering the questions that plague this team. If the Yankees are out of contention, his last game will be 9/25 at Yankee Stadium against Baltimore.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Yankees are in playoff contention, his last game will be in Fenway, but that’s big if considering the questions that plague this team. If the Yankees are out of contention, his last game will be 9/25 at Yankee Stadium against Baltimore.

I still see him playing the game regardless... Doesn't seem like the type of guy who would just sit out and not play, especially your last game ever at Fenway and vise versa.