• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Bryant Cut?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this on twitter in the last hour from Profootball Talk and Fox Sports 1.
Not completely surprising due to the 5mill in cap savings but still sucks. Gotta think the main reason behind this is to create room to resign Michael Bennett. IF this is indeed true, I wish him well. One of the few Hawks here prior to Carroll.

Pro Football Talk
Report: Seahawks will dump Red Bryant | ProFootballTalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Am I crazy to worry that we might cut Red Bryant and STILL get out-bid for Michael Bennett by another team?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well even if the Seahawks get out bid for Bennett, they got some other good places to spend the money, like extending Thomas or Sherman. Clemons and Miller are next IMO.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's just face reality here.....

We just won the Super Bowl. There are 31 teams out there that want to pick up our star players to both:

1.) Make their team better
2.) Try and get some knowledge on how Caroll and Company was able to win the big game in four seasons.

These teams will pay big $$ to get this as well. We hopefully will have the core of our team next season but let's have no doubt here, it will not be the same team as this past season.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of tough decisions to make. Thats what happens when you have a deep roster. Agree on Clem being next. Miller is the one that could go either way for me probably depends on if he is willing to take a paycut.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if we lose both Bennett and Bryant, I'm completely confident PC/JS can find talented linemen in the draft to replace them. I think it is more important to have the money to resign ET, Sherm and Wilson.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if we lose both Bennett and Bryant, I'm completely confident PC/JS can find talented linemen in the draft to replace them. I think it is more important to have the money to resign ET, Sherm and Wilson.

This is what Ive been trying to say for the longest time we have built so much through the draft why the hell is everybody wanting to over pay for our free agents. I have been on record as to say that we shouldnt overpay for bennett if the bears want to give him a 4 year deal and all this guaranteed money then go ahead. I can firmly believe that PC and JS can draft a DE or sign another DE/DT to replace these guys I honestly had no idea who tony mcdaniels was before this season.

last time i checked we were a great Defense before we signed them...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as for red bryant I liked the guy when it comes to rushing Defense this guy was a boulder that you couldnt move his pass rushing wasnt all that great but PC even said that when they look at film the would see offensive lineman struggle to grab and turn him to make the run play work.

Now that he is turning 30 maybe they feel that its time to part ways with him or maybe they feel what he brings to the field is replaceable

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Reds run stuffing will be missed, but he was being paid a lot of coin for a player who had become so one dimensional.

But again our roster is so deep, that we basically redshirted Hill and Williams last year.

Wish we could resign him, but the roster is loaded anyway.

I'm sure he won't last long in FA.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sort of happy the Seahawks are cutting Red Bryant. I think this is an very financially prudent move. He had a down year in 2012, had a solid year in 2013, but I'm worried with his size and injury history he could be a liability down the road. It is best to jump ship while on top. He has a useful skillset, but not one worth his current salary.

I still don't think they cut Zach Miller unless they draft a TE in the first three rounds. Miller is overpaid, but his cap number in 2013 was $11m and is dropping to $7m in 2014 and $6m in 2015, which is still a few million over his value, but not a ridiculous amount considering his value as a blocker for the Seahawks. Miller is an above average receiving TE, just never had the opportunity to run many routes which is reflected in his stats.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's possible Millers contract gets restructured a bit. Agree they might not dump him, they may ask him to restructure.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Sando:

Sidney Rice, Red Bryant, Chris Clemmons, and Zach Miller would of counted 35 million if they stayed on the roster. Will count 9.6 mil if cut.

Also looking at what his impact would of been:

The timing of the Bryant release makes sense because he would of been due a 3 million roster bonus on March 14th. And also a 7.5 million base and 8.5 towards the cap in 2014. And he's turning 30 in April.

If that money savings can be used to sign Bennett, it does make sense.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping they'd restructure Red. I know he's pretty one dimensional, but he's still very effective at his strengths. His age is a bit of a concern, but I feel like he's got at least 2 good years left in him. I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up. I definitely agree that between Bennett and Bryant, I'd rather keep Bennett.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Age itself should not be a specific concern as DL players are often good into their mid 30's. More of a concern is the individuals injury history and current health state. I would be more worried about knees, ankles, and feet than age. Bryant has had some injury issues with the knees.

The problem with cutting Bryant is that he has a very specific skill set that fits in well with PC's D scheme. He acts as a pseudo-DE who stuffs the run. He falls somewhere inbetween a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 DE. I am not sure that we have a player on the roster who fills his role.

Even if he was cut, he could still return to the Seahawks at a lesser salary. I don't know what kind of an open market there is for him. He already failed as a 4-3 DT, and had his career resurrected by PC, so I have my doubts for him to adjust back to playing a true DT.
Plus he has strong ties to the PNW being married to Jacob Green's daughter but that also gives him strong ties to Texas which ihappens to be his home state.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart move. Don't get me wrong, Red Bryant filled his role very nicely and commanded the double teams required to run the defense we have, but his production dropped off this year. I believe in part it was due to some nagging injuries, but Red was almost invisible at times. Save the cash.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping they'd restructure Red. I know he's pretty one dimensional, but he's still very effective at his strengths. His age is a bit of a concern, but I feel like he's got at least 2 good years left in him. I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up. I definitely agree that between Bennett and Bryant, I'd rather keep Bennett.

The problem with restructuring is you just kick a lot of the can down the road and still end up having to payout big eventually. It can create a real mess later on. If a player is hitting 30, introduces even more risk into any restructured deals.

Steelers were big victims of this last 2 years when all the pain from those restructured deals came due and it's kept them doing anything significant in FA recently because the cap space still wasn't there.

Red is a great player, but the money just isn't there with everything else we got to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think you "restructure" red per se. But he's cut, he can go test the open market and find what his true value is. Then maybe he'd be willing to return for a closer to minimum deal.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a feeling this would happen and stated such in my thread. He makes to much money for playing less than 30 snaps per game. His salary did not match up with his playing time. Still he is a solid player and one of the best run stuffers on the team, not to mention a true team leader of this defense. Now lets be a little more real with this information. They have not cut Red yet but there is a good chance they could. Right now it's just rumors and heck maybe big Red renegotiates to lower his salary and they keep him at a price more suited to a less than 30 snap situational player. not holding my breath but if he is cut he will be signed by another team at a lower cap number and might not even make that team because he is a specialized type player. His best option very well could be to renegotiate with the Hawks.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red/Clemons/Miller are all on the chopping block unless they grossly adjust their salaries. Clemons should probably be the least concerned, but with all the pass rushing talent on this team, he may be expendable just because of that.

Only lineman that deserve to be paid highly are Mebane and Bennett, partly because they are always on the field and perform well at their positions.