• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red/Blue Scrimmage and Exhibition Games

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this:

Our bench has some questions. We have some answers, but much is yet to be seen. However, our starting 5 are going to be pure joy to watch, perhaps one for the ages. 1-5 are so primed (because of each other) to do great things this season.

I'd like to put this out there for some honest opinions:

Some of my very knowledgable buddies think there might be questions with Miller's ability to not get in the way of these guys. That's to say far more for the ability of the players, more than to the detriment of Miller; I want to make that clear. But Miller has only been coaching a decade, and not a decade with one team. There is a reason why you can't put his name in the hat with the K's, Calipari's, Williams, Donavan... We all know that Miller is going on track to winning multiple championships (on his current trajectory), but can he coach 4 players that are all probably going to get drafted after the season? I think that's a legitimate question.

That being said, I think this is the year we get back to the Final Four. I though that last year with Ashley, and I think there is a case that it would have happened. I feel a little better about this year's team. If we can get to the Final Four, I think Miller will have tasted blood. I see him with the ability to get teams that might not be FF teams there, let alone having any trouble with teams of that (i.e., this) quality. I just think there is a discussion for our opinions of him being able to do that this year.

I agree with everything that you stated CTP, and the bit about Miller is on everyone's mind. It is the unstated reality. He is clearly a great player-coach, in that... if you listen to every player who has ever suited up for him, to a man they are all over-the-top complimentary of his coaching (Sidiki not withstanding). Clearly, he gets the players, being a high-D1-guy himself, and the players get him.

The question really is... will a roster full of 4-5 star players, who talk about buying into the system, and making sacrifices, and only caring about winning... will these guys really make those sacrifices when it matters most? Will they give up the challenged 18 footer to a teammate in the paint with a more efficient look under a minute in the Elite Eight? Time will tell.

Miller has proven that a 30 win season should be the expected norm from now on, during his tenure in Tucson/ Final 4s and Titles are only a matter of time IMO... and the reality is, the "best coach to never have gone to a Final Four" isn't exactly a brag-worthy title. So, one thing I am certain of:

Nobody on this planet wants to win a NCAA national title... in Tucson... with the Arizona Wildcats more than HC Sean Miller.

Every year he teaches his players, and he learns from his players. I think that there are a lot of things that coach Miller does well, some that he is great at, and others that he is average, or bellow average even... and whether or not he is too stubborn to change... too stubborn to play his bench early in the season to give them confidence, for instance? I'd like to think that he is capable and able to learn from past mistakes and to change and learn even more now than he has in the past. As CTP mentioned, this is only his 11th season as a coach, he is still very young and still growing as a leader, by the day. His time with USA basketball can only help that as well...

Regardless, we are in for a fun season. Looking forward to chatting with all of you guys this year, as always. (even Fork... for some sadistic reason)