• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Receiver is likely Seahawks’ top priority in 2014 NFL draft

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Receiver is likely Seahawks’ top priority in 2014 NFL draft

The draft is May 8-10, which comes after the March free agency period, when the Seahawks could see some shuffling in their receiving corps.

By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter

Except years when they didn’t have a first-round pick, the Seahawks have never held such a deep position in the NFL draft. By virtue of winning the Super Bowl, the Seahawks will be the 32nd and last team to pick in the first round.

Not that anyone is complaining.

Making the situation better is that “deep” is also the word analysts are using to refer to the draft itself.

“This is the deepest and best draft I’ve seen in the last 10 years, and that’s been reinforced by most of the general managers and scouts I’ve talked to throughout the league,” analyst Mike Mayock of the NFL Network said Tuesday during a conference call with reporters to preview the NFL Scouting Combine, which begins in earnest Thursday in Indianapolis.

Mayock said one general manager told him that having a top-20 selection this year “is very similar to having a top 10 pick last year.’’

That’s particularly true at receiver, which may be Seattle’s greatest position of need.

“It’s the best wide receiver draft I’ve seen in years,’’ Mayock said.

The draft is May 8-10, which comes after the March free-agency period, when the Seahawks could see some shuffling in their receiving corps.

Golden Tate, who led the Seahawks with 64 receptions in 2013 and also established himself as one of the better punt returners in the NFL, is an unrestricted free agent who can be signed by any team.

Doug Baldwin, Seattle’s second-leading receiver with 50 catches, is a restricted free agent who can field offers from other teams, with Seattle having a chance to match.

And Sidney Rice, who played just eight games before suffering a season-ending knee injury and carries a $9.7 million salary for 2014, is widely expected to be cut, or asked to restructure his contract.

Even if Seattle doesn’t suffer heavy free-agent losses, the Seahawks probably want to find bigger receivers. The 6-foot-4 Rice is the only receiver on the roster taller than 6-2.

Rob Rang, a draft analyst for NFLDraftScout.com and CBSSports.com, says he thinks getting a big receiver may be Seattle’s top priority in this draft. “Pete Carroll in the past has always wanted to have real tall, lanky receivers,” he said.

Rang, like Mayock, says Seattle could have its pick of several good options in the first round. Rang cites two receivers Seattle may be watching closely during the combine — Mike Evans of Texas A&M and Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State. Benjamin, listed at 6-5, 243 pounds, scored 15 touchdowns for the Seminoles in 2013, including the game-winner in the BCS title matchup with Auburn.

Evans, listed at 6-5, 225, was an AP All-American.

“Depending on how they run (at the combine) they could separate themselves, one from the other,’’ Rang said.

Mayock believes each fits the new prototype of a receiver valued for being able to use their size to win one-on-one battles.

“Evans and Benjamin are kind of today’s flavor in the NFL,’’ Mayock said. “Those 6-5, 230-pound wide receivers, (capable of catching) the back-shoulder throws, outside the numbers in the red zone.’’

Each played just two years in college, though and could need time to adjust to the NFL, something the Seahawks may weigh.

Mayock said of Evans: “He’s going to have to learn how to run routes. I think that’s part of any young wide receiver.”

Should Seattle simply want a receiver, tall or not, Mayock said other possible options for the Seahawks to pick are USC’s Marqise Lee, Louisiana State’s Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham, Fresno State’s Davante Adams and Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks.

“There are going to be a lot better choices, depending on the position you’re looking for, sitting at 32,” Mayock said. “… There are really good football players and wide receivers who can contribute immediately.’’

Receiver is likely Seahawks’ top priority in 2014 NFL draft | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't they learned anything about this staff and how they draft? :L

Like it or not they genuinely have a list of guys they like in order and pick whoever is highest left on that list when it comes to their turn and it doesn't matter at all what position they actually play. At least in the early rounds anyway. Anyone who believes they know what position they will draft first hasn't watched them the last few years.

I know, the media has to do something more than say we have no idea what they will do so they don't have a choice but to speculate and create their own guesses.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't they learned anything about this staff and how they draft?

There was only one person that hit a few picks the last two years(I can't recall who it was),just because i post something does not make it is so or my opinion really so i have no clue where you are going.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matter of fact the 2011 draft had many scratching their heads if i recall over at ESPN with Carpenter and then Moffitt we all assumed we would have a very good oline Pete and JS have had some bad luck on the oline looking back.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was only one person that hit a few picks the last two years(I can't recall who it was),just because i post something does not make it is so or my opinion really so i have no clue where you are going.

Sorry, thought I was being clear that I understand why the media does what they do, but are still off base considering what we have seen from RS and PC over the last few drafts. Wasn't questioning you, just the report you linked.

Truth is I doubt anyone pegs who they will take unless they also peg most of the first round without many surprises as who they take will depend on who the best athlete as they evaluate them that is left when it hits 32.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has also been increasing chatter that FA WR James Jones could be one of the main targets for the Seahawks. He was one of the best WRs in the NFL in 2012, but was limited in 2013 with a sprained PCL and had a broken rib at the end of the season.

GB seems to be telegraphing that they're willing to let him go.

I think he would be a very good fit for our offense and we wouldn't have to break the bank to sign him.

I also agree that Evans and Benjamin are extremely raw projects that would take time to develop. I also don't think Evans would be there when we pick at 32, unless we trade up.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is fun to speculate on individual players, but this is the last franchise I'd try to predict who they're going to select, seriously.

All the years on CBS we'd discuss the draft and it seemed like year after year with their first selection they would have a pick out of left field (See Bruce Irvin, James Carpenter and Christine Michael). Also, a lot of their later round picks have been surprises as well. The most predictable draft the Seahawks have had was when they drafted Okung and Thomas in the first round, since then it has been extremely difficult to predict their first selection.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from that, I like Mike Evans a lot. I'd be shocked if he fell to us though. Unless he looks bad in his drills or runs a putrid 40 time I see him as a top 15 talent and possibly the best WR in the draft. I'd assume that Mike Evans and Marquise Lee are off the board when the Seahawks select. The same could be said for Odell Beckham and Kelvin Benjamin depending on their 40 times.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be hilarious if one of these draft "gurus" wrote "I give up" next to every Seahawks pick in their mock drafts, beginning with 32. They have no clue what's coming, so they might as well admit that ahead of time. Even the local guys who follow the team everyday are going to get it wrong. The fact that this year's draft is considered to be the deepest draft in a while only adds to the mystery. The only predictable thing about the Seahawks picks these days are the reactions to those picks. I'm gonna miss it because I'll be at work, but I might just DVR it for the entertainment value.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be hilarious if one of these draft "gurus" wrote "I give up" next to every Seahawks pick in their mock drafts, beginning with 32. They have no clue what's coming, so they might as well admit that ahead of time. Even the local guys who follow the team everyday are going to get it wrong. The fact that this year's draft is considered to be the deepest draft in a while only adds to the mystery. The only predictable thing about the Seahawks picks these days are the reactions to those picks. I'm gonna miss it because I'll be at work, but I might just DVR it for the entertainment value.

I don't think any body has been even close to guessing who the Seahawks will pick. Before the draft last year I told myself I wouldn't be surprised at who they picked, thinking it would be someone that was under the radar, but when they made their pick, my jaw dropped to the ground. Another RB? Maybe this year they surprise us by making the obvious choice? Mmmm I not making any bets.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope Schneider is up to his sneaky stuff finding diamonds in the late rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OLine OLine OLine. We have 2 really good OLinemen (Okung, Unger) and one who is most likely gonna start next year (Sweezy). I know there are a lot who like Bailey and Bowie to start next year, and they may progress, but the line was horrendous most of the season. I don't want to put all my eggs in the Bailey/Bowie basket.

Now, I they had needs for a starting LB/DB/OL last year and the picked a third string RB. I've learned not to take what happens in the early part of the draft too seriously. They're gonna do what they feel is best, no matter what the "experts" or the "fans" feel should be done.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason this team should not draft Jarred Abrederis if he falls to the Hawks in the third round. The man already has a history of excellent chemistry with Wilson in his first year playing with the Badgers. Despite having terrible QB's on his team he's been the best WR in the Big Ten every year since Wilson left. Scouts admit he runs the best routes in the draft by far and his nickname is Mr. Hands (catches almost everything). He had at least 15-20 times this season where he was open for deep passes but the ineptitude at QB missed those opportunities. Scouts believe the negatives on him is his injury history (over exaggerated with one leg injury, one rib injury and minor concussion) and they say he has average athleticism. Well he ran a 4.42 and a 4.47 today while most scouts were projecting a mid 4.5 to low 4.6. I'm guessing those projections are just pure racism since wathching him on tape he had an obvious 4.4 speed and combine that with route running he had at least 5 yards of space on nearly every play. He's a hard worker and extremely humble as he was a walkon as a QB for the Badgers. He is a high IQ player (mid 30's wonderlic score) and no issues on or off the field. My main criticism with him was their were times in big games where he fumbled late in the games. It only happened twice but it is a concern. Lastly his size is mediocre at 6'1 and 195 lbs and lacks the punch (low reps on bench workout) to consistently break out of press coverage/ bump and run. I'm sure the trainers and consistent practice vs the best corners in the game will improve these issues. Scouts say he's anywhere from a 4th WR to a #2 WR. I believe he can be a #1 just like Jordy Nelson turned out to be for the Packers. I believe he can be the #1 right away with the Hawks as your team does have decent WR's but no true #1 IMO. Obviously he would have to prove himself like Wilson but I believe he has the work ethic, talent, and IQ to accomplish this feat.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the seahawks should draft the best player available like they did in last years draft with christine michael

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle will draft defense. We have holes on the D-Line if we cut Clemons/Bryant (who I think we will) and Mebane is not getting any younger. He'll be 30 next season.

Next, I wouldn't mind us drafting another LBer to keep competition up with Wright/Irvin. Lastly, our secondary might be a little thin if we let Thurmond go and with Browner's suspension meh. Could be a good time to bolster up a CBs just in case Maxwell/Sherman go down. Let's add another to the legion of boom, hopefully if they do Sherman can provide input. Sherman was pretty pissed when he was drafted all the sub par talent that was going before him. Considering he was right, wouldn't be bad to have him in the draft room.

I see Seattle on O fine actually. Harvin is an unorthodox #1 receiver, Lynch is still trucking, and Michael/Turbin is plenty of depth. We have a surprising amount of depth at TE with the return of McCoy. All we need is O-Line, which we can draft later.

I would really love Trent Murphy with our #1 pick. It's a little early, but he fits in the LEO perfectly. He's tall/big which Carroll/Schneider love, and I think he'll play with a bit of a chip on his shoulder being #32.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle will draft defense. We have holes on the D-Line if we cut Clemons/Bryant (who I think we will) and Mebane is not getting any younger. He'll be 30 next season.

Next, I wouldn't mind us drafting another LBer to keep competition up with Wright/Irvin. Lastly, our secondary might be a little thin if we let Thurmond go and with Browner's suspension meh. Could be a good time to bolster up a CBs just in case Maxwell/Sherman go down. Let's add another to the legion of boom, hopefully if they do Sherman can provide input. Sherman was pretty pissed when he was drafted all the sub par talent that was going before him. Considering he was right, wouldn't be bad to have him in the draft room.

I see Seattle on O fine actually. Harvin is an unorthodox #1 receiver, Lynch is still trucking, and Michael/Turbin is plenty of depth. We have a surprising amount of depth at TE with the return of McCoy. All we need is O-Line, which we can draft later.

I would really love Trent Murphy with our #1 pick. It's a little early, but he fits in the LEO perfectly. He's tall/big which Carroll/Schneider love, and I think he'll play with a bit of a chip on his shoulder being #32.

I don't know if defense is that big a need. All three of our most used CB from last year are returning (Sherman, Maxwell, Lane) plus Tharold Simon could be in the mix (thought we'd draft him to replace Browner after 2013). The D line could take a hit, but we have 2 young DTs (Williams, Hill) from last year's draft who should be solid and could just step into roles being vacated, and DE could be thin, but even if we lost both Clemons/Bennett, I could see Irvin being moved back there. We could have some issues at LB, but it turned out to be a very good unit last year and all 4 of the top LBs from last year are under contract for this coming season.

I see why they think WR. With the pending release of Rice, and if for some reason the Seahawks lose out on both Baldwin and Tate in free agency, Harvin, Kearse and Lockette are the only returning receivers that have seen any significant playing time in recent history. I think Kearse and Lockette are much better than your average #4 and #5 but way below what's needed to be a #2 and #3. The problem with saying that the team has to draft a WR high is that the team has really done well with late round WRs, and this is reporting to be the deepest class of WRs in 10 years.

I personally still think that OLine was the worst unit on the team last year, and one of the worst OLines in the NFL. If the team is banking on Bailey, Bowe and Sweezy just being better next year, then that's assuming a lot on a unit whose main responsibility is protecting Russell Wilson. There needs to be massive improvement on the line.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with blstoker that the first pick should probably go to the offensive line. Our WR play was average at best and we may lose Golden Tate, but our offensive line was one of the worst in the NFL last year. WRs are a lot more fun to scout and discuss, but this team needs 2, arguably 3 new starters on the offensive line.

I'm 100x more comfortable with our current WRs than I am with our current offensive line. Even if we lose Golden Tate and Percy Harvin misses half the season, our WR corp would still be leagues better than the offensive line.

I also think it should be offensive line because the 4 guys deserving of a 1st round pick (Benjamin, Lee, Evans and Beckham) could be off the board when the Seahawks pick. BPA is a nice philosophy and all, but the Seahawks have gaping holes on the offensive line.

But as another poster mentioned, it is impossible to predict how the Seahawks will pick.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason this team should not draft Jarred Abrederis if he falls to the Hawks in the third round. The man already has a history of excellent chemistry with Wilson in his first year playing with the Badgers. Despite having terrible QB's on his team he's been the best WR in the Big Ten every year since Wilson left. Scouts admit he runs the best routes in the draft by far and his nickname is Mr. Hands (catches almost everything). He had at least 15-20 times this season where he was open for deep passes but the ineptitude at QB missed those opportunities. Scouts believe the negatives on him is his injury history (over exaggerated with one leg injury, one rib injury and minor concussion) and they say he has average athleticism. Well he ran a 4.42 and a 4.47 today while most scouts were projecting a mid 4.5 to low 4.6. I'm guessing those projections are just pure racism since wathching him on tape he had an obvious 4.4 speed and combine that with route running he had at least 5 yards of space on nearly every play. He's a hard worker and extremely humble as he was a walkon as a QB for the Badgers. He is a high IQ player (mid 30's wonderlic score) and no issues on or off the field. My main criticism with him was their were times in big games where he fumbled late in the games. It only happened twice but it is a concern. Lastly his size is mediocre at 6'1 and 195 lbs and lacks the punch (low reps on bench workout) to consistently break out of press coverage/ bump and run. I'm sure the trainers and consistent practice vs the best corners in the game will improve these issues. Scouts say he's anywhere from a 4th WR to a #2 WR. I believe he can be a #1 just like Jordy Nelson turned out to be for the Packers. I believe he can be the #1 right away with the Hawks as your team does have decent WR's but no true #1 IMO. Obviously he would have to prove himself like Wilson but I believe he has the work ethic, talent, and IQ to accomplish this feat.

I like Jarred Abbrederis a lot as well. He could be a good sleeper pick, plus I love guys who have the work ethic to make it as a walk-on then tear it up at the college level. I don't know if he is a future #1 WR, but a #2 I could definitely see. He does not stretch the field but he does get open and catch the ball, which is something the Seahawks could definitely use as our WRs struggled getting separation in 2013.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Jarred Abbrederis a lot as well. He could be a good sleeper pick, plus I love guys who have the work ethic to make it as a walk-on then tear it up at the college level. I don't know if he is a future #1 WR, but a #2 I could definitely see. He does not stretch the field but he does get open and catch the ball, which is something the Seahawks could definitely use as our WRs struggled getting separation in 2013.

I noticed that as even with the continual big plays, majority were contested and well covered. Having an elite route runner with quickness and acceleration should augment this issue. The only thing Jared is devoid of which majority of #1's have is strength. He bulked up by 10lbs over the last 3 months but his bench was pathetic. Did the hawks list their priorities in terms of prudently selecting a WR or two in the draft? It appears majority of the fans on her desire a WR with size.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I noticed that as even with the continual big plays, majority were contested and well covered. Having an elite route runner with quickness and acceleration should augment this issue. The only thing Jared is devoid of which majority of #1's have is strength. He bulked up by 10lbs over the last 3 months but his bench was pathetic. Did the hawks list their priorities in terms of prudently selecting a WR or two in the draft? It appears majority of the fans on her desire a WR with size.