• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realignment News, HOLY CRAP!

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel like the Pac isn't as desperate as the Big East was with their conference expansion. They could probably poach some schools out west and make it a viable 16-team league.

Teams like UNLV, SDST, Nevada, Fresno St, Boise St would all be viable options IMO. There are still plenty of decent teams to poach out west.
I think that what 46 is saying (about UNC) is that if they're willing to pull off Duke's tit, then they'll have options (at least one good option).

I was thinking the same thing about the Pac 12. They have no GREAT options out West. If it were the Big 12 imploding AND they were forming a football-only conference, they'd be more apt to cherry pick the Big 12 (probably Texas, OU at least). I think that BYU would be a good pickup for the Pac and Boise as well but they both seem a better fit for the Big12. I could see the Big12 expanding East though but they have a lot of slots to fill.

Assuming the Big12 survives and the ACC doesn't:

- SEC picks up 1/2 NC teams and one of UVA/VT/MD
- B1G picks up ND, one of UVA/VT/MD, GT (the Atlanta thing makes sense) and one more between Pitt/Syracuse/BC/Rutgers/Louisville/Cincinnati
- Big12 (at 10 currently) picks up Louisville, Cincinnati, FSU, Clemson, one of UVA/VT/MD, maybe 1-2 out west (BYU, SD State, Boise State, Colorado St)
- PAC picks up some of San Diego St, Fresno St, Colorado St, BYU, Nevada .. They'd be crazy not to try to pick up Boise and BYU in football .. and it makes me cringe to think about them looking East

It's a crap shoot .. Who knows .. but I bet I get some of 'em right .. if it happens

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting note:

The University of Pittsburgh becomes the oldest school in the ACC when they join (1787).

The school would be the oldest in the B1G, Pac 12 or Big 12 by a ton and are only newer than UGA and Rutgers.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno there is a LOT of disdain for BSU in the PAC.

Much rather go to the Big12.

Why would the PAC even move off 12? What's to prevent them from staying with the mix they have?

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT beat writer Andy Bitter was just asked "I’m hearing rumblings that the Big 12 and the SEC are in discussion about having their conference champs meeting in a bowl site. I’m betting it may be the Sugar Bowl. What’s your thought?" and his response: "Not just rumblings. It’s happening. It’ll be an entirely new bowl and it will be highly profitable, since it looks like the conferences themselves, and not some third-party bowl organization will run it. It’s a big deal. There are clearly four major conferences emerging, and the ACC is not one of them. This FSU saga is not going to go away after the latest news."

comments #3 and #4 here:
http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitter.../05/18/better-know-a-12-opponent-austin-peay/

slntkilla

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT beat writer Andy Bitter was just asked "I’m hearing rumblings that the Big 12 and the SEC are in discussion about having their conference champs meeting in a bowl site. I’m betting it may be the Sugar Bowl. What’s your thought?" and his response: "Not just rumblings. It’s happening. It’ll be an entirely new bowl and it will be highly profitable, since it looks like the conferences themselves, and not some third-party bowl organization will run it. It’s a big deal. There are clearly four major conferences emerging, and the ACC is not one of them. This FSU saga is not going to go away after the latest news."

comments #3 and #4 here:
http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitter.../05/18/better-know-a-12-opponent-austin-peay/

Already officially happened

Big 12, SEC champions to play New Year's bowl game - ESPN

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah the acc is not going to be a football conference much longer i thing.....fsu,clemson and maybe a 3rd team to the big 12(thinking they knew this when the deal was made)....and who knows after that

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno there is a LOT of disdain for BSU in the PAC.

Much rather go to the Big12.

Why would the PAC even move off 12?
What's to prevent them from staying with the mix they have?

You hit the nail on the head...

Kinda pisses me off, as IMO 8 10 schools conferences is the best Model.

80 schools start the season with the ability to win the NC or go to a Bowl.
8 Conference Champs play 1 week after season ends.
4 Winners play one week after first playoff games.
Bowls are played.
2 Winners play for NC, week after Bowls.

This would add 1 extra game for 4 schools.

Everyone would play 12 games. - Same as Now.
Bowl Teams would play 13 games. - Same as Now.
Conference Champs that lost in first round would play 14 games. - Same as those who lose CCGs now.
2 school that lost the Semi Finals would play 15 games. - One more than they do now.
2 school playing for the NC would play 15 games. - One more than they do now.

This is the Perfect system IMO.

BTW - There more disdain for BYU and SDSU...

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO....

ND better get off the Pot... and do something!

Not sure VaTech to the Big Ten... wouldn't that cause Virg to piggy back with them?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes way too much sense.

In a sense the 16 team conferences is similar, because the divisions will hardly see each other and the CCG would be that first round.

True, though I think rivalries die in the 16 school conference (as evidenced...). With the 10 school conference, regional and rivalries football would be saved. Personally I would do this.
Pac
USC - UCLA
Oregon - Oregon State
Washington - Washington State
Arizona - Arizona State
California - Stanford

MWC
Utah - Boise
Nevada - Colorado State
Wyoming - Air Force
New Mexico - SDSU
BYU - Fresno State

Big8+2
Oklahoma - Oklahoma State
Colorado - Nebraska
Louisville - Cincinnati
Kansas State - Kansas
Missouri - Iowa State

SEC
Alabama - Tennessee
Auburn - LSU
Florida - Georgia
Miss State - Ole Miss
Kentucky - Vanderbilt

ACC
Clemson - South Carolina
North Carolina - Duke
NCState - Wake Forest
Georgia Tech - Florida State
Virginia - Virginia Tech (since they hate the big east so much)

BigEast
Pittsburgh - West Virginia
Maryland - Penn State
Notre Dame - Miami(Fla)
Syracuse - Boston College
Rutgers - UConn

Big10
Michigan - Ohio State
Wisconsin - Michigan State
Iowa - Minnesota
Purdue - Indiana
Illinois - Northwestern

Southern Gulf Conference???
Texas - Texas A&M
Texas Tech - TCU
Houston - Baylor
South Florida - Arkansas
Tulsa - Southern Miss

Hoping I got everyone, pretty sure I did.

I would love something like this...

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
makes sense geographically but no way you are going to get some teams to leave more successful conferences they are already in unless they get as much money to move as they would for their situations now.