• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Read Option: Days are numbered?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read option won't catch NFL teams by surprise this season - NFL - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy

What's next for the read option?

After what it did for Washington, Seattle and San Francisco last season, you would think we would see more of it in 2013 ... and maybe we will. Only this time defenses will be prepared, with coaches spending so much offseason time studying the scheme that Pittsburgh's Mike Tomlin predicted a short shelf life -- calling it "the flavor of the month."

The article goes on to give some quotes from other defensive and head coaches and summarizes by saying it is widely considered that the read zone will go the way of the wildcat sooner rather than later.

If you agree that this is likely the case, then which team running it now does it hurt the worst? I believe I read last year that Seattle ran it fewer than 20 times a game. We know RGIII runs it heavily and Kaepernick ran his share, but does Wilson still continue being as productive without the run threat?

Do you disagree and believe the read zone schemes will be around for some time to come?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will fade out. I think it hurts all three; it's a matter of who can adjust. Least likely in my mind is Kaepernick. He has the worst arm of the three IMO.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will fade out. I think it hurts all three; it's a matter of who can adjust. Least likely in my mind is Kaepernick. He has the worst arm of the three IMO.

Expect some 49ers to disagree with with that. Just wondering how you make that judgement?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion neither 49ers or Seahawks are leaning on the read option to be there base offense, rather it's just something to give opponents something to worry about and something they can pull out if needed.
Now of course if you run across a team that just doesn't have a clue how to defend it, you would use it a lot.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion neither 49ers or Seahawks are leaning on the read option to be there base offense, rather it's just something to give opponents something to worry about and something they can pull out if needed.
Now of course if you run across a team that just doesn't have a clue how to defend it, you would use it a lot.

I wouldn't disagree with that, but if the read zone does go away it would allow teams to once again be more aggressive and that would hurt all 3 QB's. Kaepernick throws the ball too hard at times, but he does have depth when he hits his target and Wilson did sometimes hit the early read when a home run play was available, but both can throw the ball no doubt. Is RGIII the big loser in the post read zone era then? He can throw and will probably be forced to do so more no matter what defenses do to that scheme given his injuries. Not sure he will be viable in it this year anyway.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was the crucial passage:

And there's the key: Being ready. It's another way of saying "playing disciplined defense," or what Green Bay didn't do in its playoff loss to San Francisco. Basically, it's assignment football, and those who deviate from it are those who catch glimpses of Kaepernick from behind.

"Just my opinion," Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said, "but if you're a disciplined football team you're going to play it OK."

The threat of the QB keeping means you can't just have defenders out of position, running full speed toward the ball. I think Zimmer is right - gotta be in the right spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expect some 49ers to disagree with with that. Just wondering how you make that judgement?

Just observation. RG3 has one of the better arms I have seen in the NFL, and whether read option has staying power or not, I will be very upset with Shanahan if they continue to run it. I firmly believe RG3 could be entirely a pocket passer and never once run and be elite. He can make all the throws and make them all fairly well, and as he continues to improve and develop, he will be hard to stop.

I don't think either Wilson or Kaepernick have that kind of arm. Both are solid, and while I might give a slight edge to kaep in strength (this isn't on measurables, though, just the throws I've seen them make), I believe Wilson is more accurate and that matters more.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was the crucial passage:

The threat of the QB keeping means you can't just have defenders out of position, running full speed toward the ball. I think Zimmer is right - gotta be in the right position.

That is true, and that is why it works so well in college. Easier said than done to get kids to stay home and watch their area. The pros are better at it, but part of the advantage of running it is making those guys stay home which is why I asked in the prior posts who it hurts more when that offense goes away and defenders are free to roam again. Who is more elusive? Who is more adept at making decisions under pressure? Who is more likely to make the adjustments and find other ways to make plays?

Right now defenses are working on having the back side pursuit stay home longer which helps buy more time for the QB in the pocket if they don't run an option play. Do the RZ teams now fake it and use that guy staying back to their advantage? Or does it just lead to broken plays and dropping the use? I think this year we see more of the latter and even in future years if defenses learn how to play it pulling it out 5-9 times a game just to keep that defender back is still an effective weapon isn't it?

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's here to stay but with the right QB's. Guys like Cam Newton can make it work because he's big and strong enough to make it work. Vick and smaller guys will get beat up.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, and that is why it works so well in college. Easier said than done to get kids to stay home and watch their area. The pros are better at it, but part of the advantage of running it is making those guys stay home which is why I asked in the prior posts who it hurts more when that offense goes away and defenders are free to roam again. Who is more elusive? Who is more adept at making decisions under pressure? Who is more likely to make the adjustments and find other ways to make plays?

Right now defenses are working on having the back side pursuit stay home longer which helps buy more time for the QB in the pocket if they don't run an option play. Do the RZ teams now fake it and use that guy staying back to their advantage? Or does it just lead to broken plays and dropping the use? I think this year we see more of the latter and even in future years if defenses learn how to play it pulling it out 5-9 times a game just to keep that defender back is still an effective weapon isn't it?
Gamecocks play zone read, and during the Outback Bowl, Michigan ran a nice stunt with the MLB rotating. I think you'll see different approaches.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I would have rather the handoff to the back and have the LB trail him 2 yds up the field than try to cut past him to the edge when he is coming from the weak side and has a more direct path to the QB. Better yet, audible out to a hot route to the slot receiver.

I do see your point though, new Defensive schemes will still allow for aggressive DE or LB play based on the situation and they won't necessarily be frozen at the LOS to decide.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Read option just makes the defense play honest. If you use it 4 to 6 times a game they will always have to play honest so it keeps the middle less congested for the running back, if they slide a MLB to the edge then they are week for the quick pass in the middle 5 yards deep. Its not a gimmick like the wildcat. If a defense breaks fundamentals on the read option it will hurt them and if they don't peek inside then the gut runs will have more room to work. I think the read option will be in the NFL to stay as long as you have running teams with athletic QB's and that's the way the NFL is going. Kaep, Wilson, Newton, Rogers, RGIII and even Luck can run.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should clarify. A few times a game is fine and will be OK. Trying to treat it as the basis of your offense (skins in playoffs) should get you fired on the spot (ignoring that he was basically begging RG3's knee to tear more).

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me most about the Read/Option is the economic aspect of it.... I've brought it up a few times on ESPN, but the fact remains that all of the read/option, pistol QB's that are successful right now... (RGIII, Newton, Kaep and Wilson) are all playing under VERY team friendly contracts right now.. especially in the cases of Kaepernick and Wilson.

These guys, whether it be from running the Read, or out of the Pistol or whatever other spread offense they are running are averaging 7-8 carries a game. That is a pretty big amount for a QB. However, teams can handle that while the players are in their first contracts under the current CBA. They aren't hamstringing their organizations yet....

But, with the progress of each of them.... they are going to command a MINT for their respective teams during their 2nd contract, and at that point, teams might then have to make the decision, do we continue to risk him getting hurt with the extra carries per game at a much higher cost, or do we risk pulling him out of the offense that made him worth the extra money...

But the old adage still holds true... there are a few great young running QB's... there just aren't any great OLD running QB's.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that all three quarterbacks mentioned are fantastic passers, that will keep defenses off balance

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these clowns in the media speak as if the read-option was invented last year.

It's been around in one form or another since the days of leather helmets.

But the facts remain. You can't run the read option at the NFL level as your defacto offense because of the speed of NFL LB and Safeties.

Last year, teams like SF and Seattle ran the R.O. on anywhere from 5-10% of their plays during a game. That's it. But doesn't stop the media and those who don't know the game from acting as if what they are running is an exclusive R.O. offense. That it's as gimmicky as the wildcat and will be figured out. They've had 50+ years to figure out the R.O.!!! There is no magical thing that's going to happen this year to stop the R.O. They got more tape on Wilson and Kaep, sure. But that doesn't change anything besides trying to better recognize the plays we run or QB cadences. It's not like the party is over for the R.O.. That's stupid.

It's main purpose to get the LBs to commit to a QB run/option play or RB run a second or two before it happens. To force them to commit to something that could be 50/50 odds. Those are great odds if your an offensive coordinator. If they commit to the RB, and the QB fakes and takes off, it can mean a 1st down or more. Vice versa. That's what this is all about. But it only happens 5-10% of the time in the NFL. The Seahawks are not running what Meyer did at UF or DeBerry at Air Force where it's run all the time.

With Hawks and 9ers, it's simply a way to thicken up your playbook if you have a QB who has the athleticism to pull it off. You can do this with QBs like Wilson and Kaep. You can't do it with traditional drop back passers like Rodgers and Manning cause they don't have the RB instincts or want to risk the punishment.

You also don't run the R.O. more than that amount in the NFL because of the added risk to your very well paid franchise QBs.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What? I'm sorry but he may have the strongest arm of the 3 and certainly not the worst.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say weakest, I said worst. RG3 is far and away a better passer than both, and his edge in arm strength doesn't cancel out Wilson's in accuracy IMO.

Hothvictim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me most about the Read/Option is the economic aspect of it.... I've brought it up a few times on ESPN, but the fact remains that all of the read/option, pistol QB's that are successful right now... (RGIII, Newton, Kaep and Wilson) are all playing under VERY team friendly contracts right now.. especially in the cases of Kaepernick and Wilson.

These guys, whether it be from running the Read, or out of the Pistol or whatever other spread offense they are running are averaging 7-8 carries a game. That is a pretty big amount for a QB. However, teams can handle that while the players are in their first contracts under the current CBA. They aren't hamstringing their organizations yet....

But, with the progress of each of them.... they are going to command a MINT for their respective teams during their 2nd contract, and at that point, teams might then have to make the decision, do we continue to risk him getting hurt with the extra carries per game at a much higher cost, or do we risk pulling him out of the offense that made him worth the extra money...

But the old adage still holds true... there are a few great young running QB's... there just aren't any great OLD running QB's.

I think that depends on what you mean by "running quarterback". I think there's a tendency among a lot of folks to lump the quarterbacks who are capable of being excellent pocket passers, but who are also elusive enough to run when they have to or when they see a big opening, like Wilson, with quarterbacks whose running ability is their primary identity and primary weapon as a quarterback, like Michael Vick or Tim Tebow. Vick has a much better arm than Tebow does, but he's still known more for his running than for his passing. In other words, there are "running QB's" and "QB's that can run". I like to think that Wilson is in the "QB's that can run" category and, if the read option were to disappear from the play book altogether, he'd still make for an excellent quarterback.