• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Read if you dare: Lionstop's FA breakdown for the Lions

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is only one guy in the entire FA the Lions should be willing to spend big bucks on and that player is N. Suh. I’m guessing that won’t happen though, as things look to have gotten out of control and too many teams have the space to lure him in. Moving forward, the Lions have an opportunity to get some players fill some voids and/or potentially be long-term starters. If the Lions spend wisely, things could get real interesting with the roster by the start of the season.

That said, I’ve put together my personal list of guys I think the Lions should target and the positions they should attempt to fill in order. The Lion’s first round pick should always be the BPA regardless of position so I took that into account when putting this together. The Lions will have a couple players that will need new contracts soon so I also took that into account when deciding how the Lions should spend.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: The team has no choice but to give this the most attention right away because they can’t afford to come away with nothing here. Getting two in FA is ideal but landing one keeps things on the positive end.

Target: Nick Fairley Contract offer: 4-6 million per year with incentives/3 years

Reason/Analysis: He’s talented and I think the coaches can get his best play out of him. His contract should be reasonable and I suspect it would be structured with incentives, short-term and inexpensive. Plus, if the Lions draft a guy like Brown early, the Lions still have a good young D-line.

Secondary options: Sign Langford or Odrick at the right price.

CORNERBACK: It’s no secret, the Lions need a guy opposite Slay and the odds are slim that they can land any of the top guys in the first two rounds of the draft. Free agency looks to offer the most upside here.

Target: Davon House Contract offer: 3-5 million per year/4 years

Reason/Analysis: Surely, the Lions would love to get Maxwell or McCourty here but I don’t think they break the bank on them. House is young, has ideal size and the ability that Austin could coach up and possibly form a nice duo between him and Slay for the next 5 years. Plus, he’s familiar with the division.

Secondary options: Either Antonio Cromartie or Kareem Jackson could get a look.

Offensive Line: The Lions could mix things up along the offensive line but shoring up at least one area before the draft should be a priority. The team shouldn’t waste any time looking at a player over 28 here because the draft would seem to offer a better option.

Target: Brian Bulaga Contract offer: 5+ per year/3 years

Reason/Analysis: Although Waddle may be enough at RT, Bulaga would be an upgrade. Bulaga does come with some injury history but I think that helps with contract negotiations and may be worth the risk since there are back-up options in Waddle. Sign him and the team is only looking at finding a LG.

Secondary options: Clint Boling would be a young OG with some upside to look at.

RUNNINGBACK: The cubert isn’t bare but I don’t think the team has what it needs with just Bell and Riddick and it looks as if the Lions may or may not have a shot at some of the RBs they like in the draft. They brought in Coleman for a visit but it’s just hard to predict what the odds are of getting him.

Target: Ryan Mathews/Chis Johnson Contract offer: 1.5 million per year/2 years

Reason/Analysis: It would be kind of dumb to dump Bush and turn around and sign a guy for right around the same number but something has to happen. It’s either the Lions force the issue and draft a RB or they are left with this. There’s not much to love about either one of these guys but they do offer something on the field.

Secondary options: Shane Vereen

The Lions should be fine signing about 4-5 second-tier guys, with at least two of them taking starting spots. Getting Fairley and House would be a good start at continuing to build the defense. Bulaga and Johnson would offer some insurance at least and make those two areas formable. They could reserve cap space for future signings also.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Lions do not slow play Free Agents waiting for Suh to choose South Beach or New York City. Mayhew and Lewand just need to realize Suh is not coming back and it's time to move on.

The FA available offer some very good roster upgrades as well as having a guy like Waddle become depth.

Looking at the draft and the FA list I see, at least they should be looking at it like this, the Lions going after a CB and O-Line in FA. Where the Lions draft I just do not see a guy at those positions being a value pick. DT would also have to be addressed but they could get a good DT at #23, same as RB as far as 2nd or 3rd round.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Lions do not slow play Free Agents waiting for Suh to choose South Beach or New York City. Mayhew and Lewand just need to realize Suh is not coming back and it's time to move on.

The FA available offer some very good roster upgrades as well as having a guy like Waddle become depth.

Looking at the draft and the FA list I see, at least they should be looking at it like this, the Lions going after a CB and O-Line in FA. Where the Lions draft I just do not see a guy at those positions being a value pick. DT would also have to be addressed but they could get a good DT at #23, same as RB as far as 2nd or 3rd round.

I don't think they have to wait. With Jones and Tulloch coming back, our only main targets should be OG and DT. We need another DT anyways. They only would have had to make a ton of room if they tagged Suh. But if they were lucky enough for him to decide to return, I don't think they'll have to wiggle around the cap much, even if they got a couple decent FA's. Maybe restructure Stafford.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wonder how they will handle that. They dont have time to wait for Suh to respond. Maybe they have to offer their max offer right away and they dont get a answer by a certain deadline, they move on like you mentioned.

I dont think the Lions will be able to get the top guys though because teams will be throwing around tons of money. These players are going crazy over large contracts now. I'd rather go with House than to pay Maxwell tons of money and when its time to resign Slay, we cant.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need a CB too, 22.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great analysis, 'Top.

The only things I'd add is that Mathis is still a very viable option at CB. He was the 12th rated player at the position last year.

I'm still all about adding House, though. I'd sign Mathis first and foremost since he's a great fit and wants to return, then go after House as our future across from Slay. That would give us three starting-caliber CBs, and Mathis could slide inside when we're in the nickel.

At RB Frank Gore would be worth a look on a one or two year deal as a stop-gap option. I know he's old as dirt for a RB, but he just keeps right on churning out quality seasons. He's very quietly creeping up on a Hall-of-Fame career- something I didn't realize until I looked up his numbers recently. He's had a very productive career that doesn't seem to be slowing down yet, despite his advanced age...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very Nice Mr Top. I would like Bolig at Guard. He may fit nicely. House and Odrick are definitely on the list too.

I hope everyone has accepted that Suh is going to Miami. Having him out of the conference is the next best thing to resigning him. I just dont see us giving up 6yr/102m with 60 guaranteed. Wish him well. Next!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very Nice Mr Top. I would like Bolig at Guard. He may fit nicely. House and Odrick are definitely on the list too.

I hope everyone has accepted that Suh is going to Miami. Having him out of the conference is the next best thing to resigning him. I just dont see us giving up 6yr/102m with 60 guaranteed. Wish him well. Next!
I'd have zero issue giving him that contract right now, today.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on what Mathis wants. I suppose he would take the minimum but you never know. I would go with House and let Lawson or the next man up take the nickel spot.

With Gore, I feel like they would be getting the same type of player as Bell.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Rashean Mathis

Acquired: Signed as a free agent in August 2013.

2014 stats: 16 GP, 16 GS, 51 tackles, 1 INT.

2014 salary: $955,000.

The skinny: Mathis has proved ageless in two seasons with the Lions, playing at a high level and providing invaluable leadership in the locker room. General manager Martin Mayhew said recently that he wants Mathis back, and Mathis said after the season that he thinks he has a couple more years in him and wants them to be in Detroit. The Lions wouldn't budge off their minimum salary benefit offer last year, and it's not likely they'll go much higher this year, considering Mathis' age and their salary cap situation. At some point, the sides should reach a deal, though Mathis' role could evolve to include playing inside in nickel packages, depending on whom else the Lions add at cornerback.

Chances of returning: 65%.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on what Mathis wants. I suppose he would take the minimum but you never know. I would go with House and let Lawson or the next man up take the nickel spot.

With Gore, I feel like they would be getting the same type of player as Bell.
Next man up? I think that's not valuing the nickel CB spot nearly enough. Our lack of CB depth bit us badly in that playoff loss to Dallas. We need to get better there, not stand pat. Bring back our 2nd best CB (Mathis) and sign the young and talented House to continue transforming a historically weak area on our team into a real strength, imo. Lawson is too big of a question mark coming off that foot injury, let him compete as the dime back and be a core special-teamer.

Gore is definitely the same type of back as Bell, imo, but more productive. He wouldn't be my first choice as a free agent, but I also don't think he'd be a bad choice. Our power running game would improve pretty markedly, imo, if we brought Gore aboard...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it's highly doubtful Mayhew goes after any FA RB before the draft. If a change of pace back falls to us, has value or even a bell-cow back free-falls to us I'd see him drafting one.

He just cut Bush and the savings are 1.7M. IMO, doubtful to find much value in the FA market. Maybe someone from another team gets cut during training camp and he finds one there or as I said above 1 falls to us in the draft, which would be the younger/cheaper route

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think signing a RB in free agency would impact the draft for us much at all.

Imo, if we sign a "Bell Cow" back like Gore, it's on a one or two year (short-term), cheap deal. If we draft another "bell cow" it just give that player an extra year to assimilate to the team, stay fresh, and ease his way in. Use up the veteran we signed and save on the rookie for late in the season (and hopefully playoffs).

If we sign a depth guy like Helu, it won't make a lick of difference towards the draft...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is we go after a RB in the draft and if we dont find one we would probably sign Pierre Thomas to a 1 or 2 year deal.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that teams are surely going to overbid for Suh. I know a lot of teams will get creative with the contracts they will offer.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TP, that sounds like a plan that fits bringing Gurley in.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is we go after a RB in the draft and if we dont find one we would probably sign Pierre Thomas to a 1 or 2 year deal.
Nooooo! Lol. He's used up, imo. He was a good pass-catching all-around back for a few years there, but he took a nos-dive last year. We can get an equivalent talent in the later parts of the draft, imo...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TP, that sounds like a plan that fits bringing Gurley in.
For sure. With him being injured we could sign Gore to a one or two year deal, and ride him hard this season while Gurley gets back to 100%. Gore most certainly wouldn't be the future, but, imo, he's better than Bell right now, and given the soft RB market he might give us some good bang for our buck.

I've got a super-sleeper FA RB that I'm all about us signing, though. He's a home run thread and makes a ton of big plays for as little as he carried the ball these last couple seasons. He's not a bell-cow guy, but would be the ideal compliment to Bell as the speed back. I'm going to do a full write-up on the UDFA thread on him here when I get the chance...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its L. James

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LaMichael ? isn't ol Chip Kelley trying to hunt him down, another Duck player to add to his list.

I'm guessing it's Roy Helu...