• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reactions from the NFL rookie draft?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is neither well-thought out, or overly critical. But as I was updating my fantasy spreadsheet with the rookies, I noticed a few things which caught my attention. They may be nothing. But here goes:

Carolina – DeAngelo is a dependable back, but is racking up mileage/age. And Stewart’s health always seem to set him back. Apparently, this scenario was not worth addressing in the draft. New RB Tyler Gaffney was selected late in the sixth round.

Carolina part 2 – They lost Steve Smith and parted ways with LaFell. Besides bringing in aging/average veterans, first round pick WR Kelvin Benjamin apparently fixes this.

Cincinnati – The second round selection of Jeremy Hill is significantly high enough to impact someone’s job. Is the Law-Firm’s days numbered? Or just Cedric Peerman’s? Then they also signed 2 more undrafted RB. To me it sends a message to one of the backs.

Cleveland – Josh Gordon may be in for a lengthy suspension. That was reported on day 2 of the draft. So did the Browns address this in day 3? No.

Green Bay – WR’s drafted in round 2, 5 and 7 to go along with Nelson, Cobb and Boykin. Overkill? Or are they not happy with someone?

Jacksonville – They definitely seem to be moving on from Blackmon and his eminent suspension, drafting both Marquise Lee and Allen Robinson in the second round. Shorts and Sanders may be looking over their shoulders.

New Orleans – I thought everything was hunky dory with the WR? Maybe not elite from a fantasy standpoint, but adequate from a “team” standpoint. Then they draft WR Brandin Cooks in the first round.

NY Jets – I give them credit, they surrounded Smith with weapons. Signed FA Decker before the draft. Then added second-rounder TE Jace Amaro, and then WR Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans (both in the fourth), and Quincy Enumwa (sixth). Will they finally make the jump from a “run-first” team? I don't think so.

Philadelphia – Added WR Jordan Matthews (second round) and Josh Huff (third). Apparently the face-paced Kelly offense is tiring – especially for receivers sprinting down field.

San Francisco – The rushing backfield just got crowded. Added second-rounder Carlos Hyde to go with Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, and James.

St. Louis – Third round RB Tre Mason. I’m guessing he bumps Richardson.

What did you guys notice?

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted on the MBBRL thread. .... Guys who will make the most impact.
Watkins with the Stevie Johnson trade, Kelvin Benjamin to Carolina (no other WR's), Margise Lee to Jacksonville (Blackmon out of the picture), Beckham to Giants (as a replacement for Nicks), and my personal favorite to start and make some noise right away - Bishop Sankey to Tennessee. All have some value this year but no more than a third option or bye week filler. In other words, nothing to get overly excited over.

As a footnote - Friggin Josh Gordon ruined my plan in my keeper league - got him in the 9th rd last year. Seriously hurt the outlook of Manziel too. Since the Browns didn't draft any WRs, they must have a trade in mind with someone.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a personal note as a Bears' fan:

Bears drafted RB Ka'Deem Carey in the fourth round. Unless he gets injured in camp, he should be Forte's primary backup (especially since they cut Michael Bush, and Tony Fiammetta is more of a fullback).

But even more interesting is that the Bears signed undrafted QB Jordan Lynch from NIU to be the 3rd RB. Lynch racked up over 4300 rushing yards as a QB, and was a Heisman finalist in 2013. Like Carey, Lynch may win the RB3 job just by staying healthy.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It had the feel to me, with certain exceptions, that most teams were far more concerned with shoring up defensive positions and offensive lines. Even those with glaring holes at "skill" positions seemed to ignore those in favor of the line. Which from a pure football viewpoint is probably a good plan. . Build from the inside out, but it sure makes for some boring fantasy discussion. Hopefully these shored up offensive lines generates a little more scoring from a few teams that have had problems recently. Creating fantasy worthy players through osmosis?

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It had the feel to me, with certain exceptions, that most teams were far more concerned with shoring up defensive positions and offensive lines. Even those with glaring holes at "skill" positions seemed to ignore those in favor of the line. Which from a pure football viewpoint is probably a good plan. . Build from the inside out, but it sure makes for some boring fantasy discussion. Hopefully these shored up offensive lines generates a little more scoring from a few teams that have had problems recently. Creating fantasy worthy players through osmosis?

Yep - from fantasy it's hard to get too excited about linemen - - BUT without good ones, the fantasy guys will not be very successful - - so with that in mind I like what most teams did.
I still think the Browns have some type of plan to pick up a solid receiver via trade - - they almost have to.

Ram Tough

You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I can take away from this rookie class is I don't believe there will be any rookie breakout Rb's barring injuries from current starters. There's no RB's from this class that jump out to me as being fantasy impact players their rookie year. I feel there's only two with potential and they are Sankey for Tennessee, and Tre Mason for the Rams

I really like The Saints WR Brandon Cooks.. He will get many of the touches that went to Sproles, also should be used as a slot receiver in the down field passing attack .

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm piecing this together from the MBBRL thread...

I would have liked to see the big wr Kelvin Benjamin there... Shocked the SF took Hyde. man that is a crowded backfield!

Smart money says Lattimore or James, possibly both, will be elsewhere next year. They obviously aren't sold on either being a future feature back, and they need a true replacement for Gore

2 WRs that I will be keeping tabs on: Donte Moncrief in Indy, and I actually prefer Allen Robinson at JAX over Lee. Not sure they will even be drafted in fantasy, but I think they could make a splash in yr 1 just due to the speed/size combos.

Along with Sankey in TEN, I also liked Sims going to TB - needing another slow start/injury plagued season from Martin before he becomes fantasy relevant though.

Bridgewater - Patterson.......watch out for that combo in the next couple years, might not develop into much this season, but Patterson looks pretty damn legit, so all Bridgewater will need to do is figure out how to get the ball to him when the defense is looking at AP.

The only guy I will be willing to draft unless something major changes is Sammy Watkins. Now unfortunately he is going to have E.J. Manual throwing the ball to him, so I'm not sure what kind of upside he'll have especially with the track record of 1st year wideouts, but he's just too big of a talent.

This could be the quote of the season:

Is it just me, or was the Draft exceptionally anti-climactic? At least in fantasy terms? I mean I honestly don't see any huge difference makers that came out of it. Maybe Sammy Watkins, but honestly I think virtually every rookie next year is going to fall into the "sleeper" type category. There isn't a one that I'm going into next year saying, "I gotta have that guy in my team!"

So I get the impression that no one is overly excited about any of the new rookies. Especially from a fantasy immediate IMPACT perspective. If that's the feeling, then what does that say about the 2014 season? It probably will be disappointing as teams try to use the players that they have and hope certain guys step up. Guys we've been burned by before.

Don't forget that the NFL set scoring records last year too. What are the odds that the NFL tops that this season? Probably slim.

I guess this is my way of reasoning out that this will be a down fantasy year. High expectations (or maybe just hoping to break even from last year's numbers) but getting low results. I think we'll see lots of frustrated fantasy owners, and "experts" labeling certain players as "busts" by the end of the season. Yep, I foresee the waiver wires heating up each weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

DuffBeer Doug

Burn on big river,burn on
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess this is my way of reasoning out that this will be a down fantasy year. High expectations (or maybe just hoping to break even from last year's numbers) but getting low results. I think we'll see lots of frustrated fantasy owners, and "experts" labeling certain players as "busts" by the end of the season. Yep, I foresee the waiver wires heating up each weekend.

I agree with that analysis Joe. I'm guessing we'll all be chasing the "flavor of the week" on the waiver wires when it comes to our 2nd and 3rd (and 4th) guys on our fantasy depth charts. And it's gonna be the lucky guy who gets the right player right before or right after an injury on more than one occasion. I'm thinking more specifically in the running game as more teams are leaning toward RBBC and saving the legs of their #1 RB this year.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think bishop sankey becomes a must add, because of there volume of touches i expect him to get