• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reacher

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can sorta get it with adults. They could self-identify with their last name.

But children? Makes no sense to me.
I haven’t seen the show yet (probably in the next few days), but I 100% agree. Stupid concept.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can sorta get it with adults. They could self-identify with their last name.

But children? Makes no sense to me.

He makes a comment in the first few episodes that I have always just been called Reacher. Even my own mother called me Reacher.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. It was a bit odd they way they set it up. They just said he showed up because his brother sent a message to him telling him about Blind Blake and how he died in the small town, and Reacher likes blues.

Now Reacher is a very informed person and focuses on details. While the show was on I looked up Blind Blake, and quickly found out that he was a real musician but he died in Wisconsin, not Georgia. If Reacher is so detail oriented then he would found this out, and noted that his brother sent him incorrect info and he would have been suspicious. Instead he just showed up because he wanted to learn more about Blind Blake.

Either Reacher is an ultra intelligent experienced investigator who would have easily found this out or he wasn't. But since he was able to work out everything else the situation is a bit contradictory.

I was able to forgive that. The final episode where 20 some bad guys get slaughtered on single shots and not one of the protagonists even get hit, right in the middle of some of the worst cgi fire fxs I've seen in years, not so much.

I question that Cruise is even 5'6" (he claims 5'7"). Nicole is listed at 5'10"......
View attachment 289359

My niece's fiancee was working as an aviation mechanic at the Whidbey Island Navel Base when they came to film for Top Gun 2 a couple of years ago. I asked him if Cruise was as short as they claim. He said that he couldn't get close enough to him because he had a group of like 6 bodyguards. He then confirmed the rumor that Tom's bodyguards are all as short or shorter than he is!

My guess is the reality is 5'4".

View attachment 289360

Top Gun 2 though?? Didn't that first recruitment film suck enough?

Told the wife I thought the last episode was pretty hokey. But I liked the rest of the series.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the tiniest things catch your attention and you just have to shake your head at it…

in the shower scene, she was practically looking at him eye to eye. He stated earlier that he is 6’5”. She is MAYBE 5’5”, so there should be a full foot difference between the two.

Anyway, she has nice tits, so I didn’t care, it just made me shake my head a bit…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Ritchson, but jeebus is he a horrible actor. He needs to stick to characters like Thad, but I have a feeling he didn’t like the character since most of his other roles have been superhero/action stars. Prob is, while he has the look, he just doesn’t have the screen presence needed for the genre.

Come on, Alan. Lean into the action/comedy genre. You just aren’t a dramatic actor.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the tiniest things catch your attention and you just have to shake your head at it…

in the shower scene, she was practically looking at him eye to eye. He stated earlier that he is 6’5”. She is MAYBE 5’5”, so there should be a full foot difference between the two.

Anyway, she has nice tits, so I didn’t care, it just made me shake my head a bit…

Expecting them to have an actor who is actually 6 5 is a tough ask.

You're being a bit critical there. Ritchinson is 6 2/ 6 3. That's a tall dude. The other 2 to 3 inches isn't relevant. The issue is Cruise was shorter than even an average male. For those that have read the books (and how the show faithfully portrays the character) so much of his persona is his size. That doesn't work at all with Cruise.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Ritchson, but jeebus is he a horrible actor. He needs to stick to characters like Thad, but I have a feeling he didn’t like the character since most of his other roles have been superhero/action stars. Prob is, while he has the look, he just doesn’t have the screen presence needed for the genre.

Come on, Alan. Lean into the action/comedy genre. You just aren’t a dramatic actor.

I thought he did very well with the character. Reacher doesn't require some huge layers to pull off the character. The issues with the last episode are on plot and execution. The shorter hand to hand fight scenes were fine though.

But as far as subtle humor and overall presence for Reacher I felt like they nailed it.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick him apart all you want, but women love him as Reacher. When three women in their 60's watch every episode twice, you've got a money maker.

I thought he was much better in the role than Cruise. At least more believable. I don't think I can ever remember a Cruise character being beaten or bloodied. Ritchson is big enough to be imposing and carry through in a fight scene.

As was previously said, the bad guys are bad guys and not evil. Then again, Reacher isn't a super hero, he supposed to be a wandering ex-army investigator who doesn't want to settle down. I think he should spend a season at the Yellowstone ranch.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished this yesterday. I enjoyed it and will watch season two whenever it drops. One thing that did take me out of the show for a bit (and I might be nitpicking here) is when he took at least a dozen shots (if it wasn’t, it felt like it was close to it) to the ribs with a crowbar and never showed any signs of damage. That would’ve definitely broken some ribs.

QuestionSocratic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beginning and end were very true to the book, at least as I remember it.

However, there was some parts added to make it 8 episodes.

For example, the flashback scenes were part of the short story "Second Son." Naegley didn't appear in this book but had a number of appearances in later books.

Just a comment but I think some of the best books/stories are flashbacks to when he was in the Army.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he did very well with the character. Reacher doesn't require some huge layers to pull off the character. The issues with the last episode are on plot and execution. The shorter hand to hand fight scenes were fine though.

But as far as subtle humor and overall presence for Reacher I felt like they nailed it.
I know this is an older comment, but I agree with your take. The book says the phrase "Reacher said nothing", which is the writers saying he is just observing and gathering info, but it does not really translate well to TV, no amount of acting skill would fix it.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is an older comment, but I agree with your take. The book says the phrase "Reacher said nothing", which is the writers saying he is just observing and gathering info, but it does not really translate well to TV, no amount of acting skill would fix it.

The books themselves get a little ridiculous as well which is why I stopped reading them

But for pure entertainment value the show is solid. My big criticism was the final episode where the shoot out got a little unbelievable.

solid show...formulaic as hell like a CBS prime time show or something but with more overall depth.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The books themselves get a little ridiculous as well which is why I stopped reading them

But for pure entertainment value the show is solid. My big criticism was the final episode where the shoot out got a little unbelievable.

solid show...formulaic as hell like a CBS prime time show or something but with more overall depth.
What did it? his confidence that a gun would not fire because the mag was in a drawer so the spring was clearly ruined, or his pecks stopping a bullet?