• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reacher

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We finished watching S1 last night.

They did a pretty good job overall. The story is good, lots of mystery to it. The characters were well developed and you like the antagonists. The protagonists were a bit too obvious and over the top.

It is better than the Tom Cruise crap (to be fair I am quite anti-Tom Cruise and think he hurts most projects he is in).
Alan Ritchman owns the role. He is near perfect for the Jack Reacher.

Now, the downside:
Everything was rolling along well until about the last 1.5 episodes. It had pulled you in. Then, without going into details, it goes full action movie troupe with all of the good guys hitting nearly every shot but never getting hit themselves. At one point Reacher gets beaten with a crowbar but emerges seemingly without a bruise, let alone a broken rib or concussion. Plus the finale fxs are cheap as shit with ridiculous cgi fire and smoke.

I was at about a 7.5 outta 10 rating but the last 1.5 episodes had me deducting a point. So a 6.5 from me.

The unrealistic part about the crowbar scene was the person who did the damage.

I could fucking kick that guys ass

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought it was decent... easy binge... which is always a good thing... Biggest complaint was that it was too predictable... not the actual scheme that the bad guys had... But you saw the bad guys a mile away...
Yeah. As noted, the protagonists were interesting and well developed. You generally liked them and were invested in their outcomes.
.......but the bad guys? Just obvious bad guys with very little depth. They are just bad guys.
Bruce McGill was having fun chewing the scenery a bit though (he was D-Day in Animal House!)
share_1523385876-Bruce-McGill-Signed-Animal-House-8x10-Photo-Beckett-COA-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beats hell out of watching "So You Think You Can Dance", "The Masked Singer" or anything similar.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the show was reasonably enjoyable if albeit rather silly. Started strong, IMO. But the story just didn't have the legs to stick the landing.

A little too much Batman logic employed by Reacher though where his logical conclusions were just not reasonable.
I felt the same way. Worth the watch if you had nothing else to binge. With the Rangers on a 2 week break I had time on my hands anyway. Him just so happening to be in a small town at the same time his brother he hadn't spoken to in years was killed almost made me shut it off.

I did like him being a monster of a guy. Watching Tom Cruise beat up everyone in site at 5'6" was a tad difficult to go along with

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beats hell out of watching "So You Think You Can Dance", "The Masked Singer" or anything similar.
I wouldn't watch those at gunpoint. A friend asked me "If you had a gun to your head and had to pick The Avatar or masked singer which would you choose?". I said "I'll take the gun"

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt the same way. Worth the watch if you had nothing else to binge. With the Rangers on a 2 week break I had time on my hands anyway. Him just so happening to be in a small town at the same time his brother he hadn't spoken to in years was killed almost made me shut it off.

I did like him being a monster of a guy. Watching Tom Cruise beat up everyone in site at 5'6" was a tad difficult to go along with

I honestly felt like I missed them explaining why Reacher showed up there. It would have been trivially easy to explain that he heard that his brother was there and he was going to see him. I think implying that was a misstep.

Also small little things. Like when they flashed back to his childhood his mother called his brother Joe but she called him "Reacher".

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly felt like I missed them explaining why Reacher showed up there. It would have been trivially easy to explain that he heard that his brother was there and he was going to see him. I think implying that was a misstep.

Also small little things. Like when they flashed back to his childhood his mother called his brother Joe but she called him "Reacher".
They stuck to the story he just happened to be in town to visit the last place some old blues singer had his last concert. I kept waiting for the real reason to pop up but they stuck with that.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have a few episodes left to watch but am definitely enjoying it. Looks more like the Jack Reacher from what’s described in the books than Tom Cruise.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. It was a bit odd they way they set it up. They just said he showed up because his brother sent a message to him telling him about Blind Blake and how he died in the small town, and Reacher likes blues.

Now Reacher is a very informed person and focuses on details. While the show was on I looked up Blind Blake, and quickly found out that he was a real musician but he died in Wisconsin, not Georgia. If Reacher is so detail oriented then he would found this out, and noted that his brother sent him incorrect info and he would have been suspicious. Instead he just showed up because he wanted to learn more about Blind Blake.

Either Reacher is an ultra intelligent experienced investigator who would have easily found this out or he wasn't. But since he was able to work out everything else the situation is a bit contradictory.

I was able to forgive that. The final episode where 20 some bad guys get slaughtered on single shots and not one of the protagonists even get hit, right in the middle of some of the worst cgi fire fxs I've seen in years, not so much.
I question that Cruise is even 5'6" (he claims 5'7"). Nicole is listed at 5'10"......
20220215_132824.jpg

My niece's fiancee was working as an aviation mechanic at the Whidbey Island Navel Base when they came to film for Top Gun 2 a couple of years ago. I asked him if Cruise was as short as they claim. He said that he couldn't get close enough to him because he had a group of like 6 bodyguards. He then confirmed the rumor that Tom's bodyguards are all as short or shorter than he is!

My guess is the reality is 5'4".

20220215_133903.jpg

Top Gun 2 though?? Didn't that first recruitment film suck enough?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The book never goes any deeper either. Opens with him at the diner. The show stuck to the book pretty well.

As far as the Reacher thing, no real reason behind it, he just comments that people always just called him Reacher.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The book never goes any deeper either. Opens with him at the diner. The show stuck to the book pretty well.

As far as the Reacher thing, no real reason behind it, he just comments that people always just called him Reacher.

Yeah that is just weird. Who calls their kid by their last name? It makes no sense.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that is just weird. Who calls their kid by their last name? It makes no sense.
Books have a lot more that does not make sense than that. Like him banking on a pistol misfire because it was stored with a chambered round and would weaken the spring....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they were children?
I can’t speak to that exact scenario, but both shows had their spouses refer to them by their last names, and I seem to remember other family members doing it as well.

I am not excusing it. I am agreeing with you that it is ridiculous. Just that it happens a lot in these kind of titled shows

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t speak to that exact scenario, but both shows had their spouses refer to them by their last names, and I seem to remember other family members doing it as well.

I am not excusing it. I am agreeing with you that it is ridiculous. Just that it happens a lot in these kind of titled shows

I can sorta get it with adults. They could self-identify with their last name.

But children? Makes no sense to me.