• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Re-Thinking JVR?

SantaMonicaFlyer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hi, all :)

I know there was a lot of talk before and throughout the season about JVR - was he a bust? Did he just need more time to develop as many power forwards do? Etc.

Seeing how he played down the stretch and has been playing in the first 4 games, what do you expect from him in the coming years? Any comparisons you can think of? I know it's a small-ish sample size, but it's always fun to speculate.

For me, I can easily see him as a 35-40 goal threat most years, and he has shown an ability to make some very creative plays which leads me to believe he might even be able to register 40+ assists, too, making him a point-per-game type player sooner rather than later.

He ALMOST reminds me of old number 88, to be honest. Obviously, the production isn't there yet, but style-wise and based on raw talent and skill, he could be a Lindros-lite.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic - I'd love to hear what you guys think.

SMF

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can play like hes playing now easily 25-35 goal scorer. I think it just took him a while to get used to playing 82 games unlike college which he stayed at a year too long. Really excited to see if he can keep this up because he is the only one giving 110% right now on this team

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading the post saying JVR was a bust, and honestly I just laughed at everyone who said it. He's 21 year old power forward, which arguably takes longer to develop at the NHL level then any other position due to the pure size difference between college/juniors and the NHL. Then you have to consider the offensive depth on this team the past 2 years Richie, Carts, Giroux, Briere, Harts, Leino & then JVR who came in as a 3rd line player averaging about 9 mins a game with no PP time. That in itself will draw out the maturation process.

What's the saying "hater's gonna hate"? Everyone expected him to come in and be a superstar his rookie year and the simple truth is that it takes time to develop your game to NHL level 99% of the time. The NHL has been blessed the past 4-5 years with a few high picks who defy this mold, but again that is a small % in the grand scheme of things.

JVR will most likely turn out to be a 30 goal, 70+ pt player. He looks dominate right now all he needs is to pop a goal to get things started and we could see him really come into his own these playoffs. I just hope Lavi keeps giving him the minutes and puts him out there in key situations.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the saying "hater's gonna hate"? Everyone expected him to come in and be a superstar his rookie year and the simple truth is that it takes time to develop your game to NHL level 99% of the time. The NHL has been blessed the past 4-5 years with a few high picks who defy this mold, but again that is a small % in the grand scheme of things.

th_Suicide.gif

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
awaz....don't kill yourself everything is OK

JVR will continue to develop but realistically i expect his breakout year to be the year after next year. at his position he needs to continue to develop his strength and size, the confidence is coming around but until he has the physical power the production will suffer. next year i think we could see him get close to 30 but i have higher hopes of him approaching 40 the year after. as you can see, i am pretty big on him, i actually have decided that he is my next jersey :)

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVR and Giroux are going to continue to grow together. The league better watch out!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
awaz....don't kill yourself everything is OK

JVR will continue to develop but realistically i expect his breakout year to be the year after next year. at his position he needs to continue to develop his strength and size, the confidence is coming around but until he has the physical power the production will suffer. next year i think we could see him get close to 30 but i have higher hopes of him approaching 40 the year after. as you can see, i am pretty big on him, i actually have decided that he is my next jersey :)

JVR and Giroux are going to continue to grow together. The league better watch out!

yep.. these things are good.. i think the big thing with JvR has been confidence, and he's shown over the last 4 games that he has a bunch of it now.. it takes 2 sabres to slow him down, and sometimes even that doesnt work.. i just wish he was converting on more of his chances, cause lord knows he has enough of them

sportfan09

WHAT THE FUCK
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
love his play right now,best player on the ice besides booch...i hope this will be his big break through we all know he can be......

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good sign is that he's creating tons of chances for himself...eventually they'll start going in for him in BUNCHES! Love to see it tomorrow night!! Go Flyers!!!!

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVR has been our best forward (overall) this entire series. He's only going to get better.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JVR has been our best forward (overall) this entire series. He's only going to get better.

not just our.. he's been the best forward in the series

SantaMonicaFlyer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotta love JVR - his speed and power off the edge busting in on the goalie - WOW. One of these days he is gonna start cashing in on those regularly, and then look out league!

I love them both, and know they are very different in many ways, but... who has the better career: JVR or Giroux? Or do we just be grateful that we have them both and stop asking questions :)

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ummmmm to early to tell, i think they will both be equally good, i've seen flashes of the same type of greatness in both of them. when JVR keeps maturing people better watch out, kids gonna wreck people.

KS32790

SHOOOOOOOOOT IT !!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had 12 shots last night.