• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rating Zaidi's trades thus far

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors has been listing GM's trades in their time with their current clubs and most recently listed Zaidi's trades (imagine if they listed all of his transactions). You can find it here - Recapping Farhan Zaidi's Trades As Giants' President. What surprised me is the grade the majority of individuals have given him (you can vote on this article). I gave him a B. He hasn't had anything spectacular (yet) and really hasn't made an awful deal (but a couple could yet backfire). A few of the deals have some potential. I know I can be harsh with him but I was shocked to give him a better rating that the majority of voters.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors has been listing GM's trades in their time with their current clubs and most recently listed Zaidi's trades (imagine if they listed all of his transactions). You can find it here - Recapping Farhan Zaidi's Trades As Giants' President. What surprised me is the grade the majority of individuals have given him (you can vote on this article). I gave him a B. He hasn't had anything spectacular (yet) and really hasn't made an awful deal (but a couple could yet backfire). A few of the deals have some potential. I know I can be harsh with him but I was shocked to give him a better rating that the majority of voters.

There's no clear misses, but they've all been fairly safe trades. If we're rating the trades in a vacuum, then I'd say overall B+/A-. If we're rating them based on impact, then maybe more like a B-/C+. Really the only "loss" is the Tom Murphy trade, but they didn't have room on the 40-man roster and tried to sneak him through waivers. In hindsight, should they have kept Murphy and not acquired Kratz instead? Absolutely. That is the biggest loss probably.

Speaking of Kratz, MLB Trade Rumors missed that trade, which is probably the biggest loss so far. Kratz for Hinojosa, who's a versatile defender and had a nice bounce back year.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted in the solid D+ C- area. Mainly for trades he should have made and did not. He is getting a bunch of AAAA players and no real players to build for the future. We have had veterans that teams would have over paid for to get to the Series, but instead of trading them held on to them eating cap space and being mediocre

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no clear misses, but they've all been fairly safe trades. If we're rating the trades in a vacuum, then I'd say overall B+/A-. If we're rating them based on impact, then maybe more like a B-/C+. Really the only "loss" is the Tom Murphy trade, but they didn't have room on the 40-man roster and tried to sneak him through waivers. In hindsight, should they have kept Murphy and not acquired Kratz instead? Absolutely. That is the biggest loss probably.

Speaking of Kratz, MLB Trade Rumors missed that trade, which is probably the biggest loss so far. Kratz for Hinojosa, who's a versatile defender and had a nice bounce back year.
Unless Melancon pitches lights out the next couple of years and the guys that came back all flop, I'd give him a B just based on that trade alone! That was an amazing deal he negotiated.
Good call on Kratz! They also missed the trade to the Rays for cash. Essentially, the Giants gave up Hinojosa for some money. The flurry of catcher deals seemed bizarre to me and they don't make any more sense now. Jesus Ozoria has time, but he wasn't that impressive in 2019. Yet, I do have to say that late spring, shopping for catchers, he may have felt the need to pounce on the first one he could find but why pick up additional when Garcia was going to be at AAA (with Vogt)? And who knew Murphy would have had the season he did in 2019?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted in the solid D+ C- area. Mainly for trades he should have made and did not. He is getting a bunch of AAAA players and no real players to build for the future. We have had veterans that teams would have over paid for to get to the Series, but instead of trading them held on to them eating cap space and being mediocre
I don't think he could have moved most of those guys for little more than C grade prospects, with their contracts. Maybe he could have pulled a Melancon miracle but I think Melancon is a little different in that he is a reliever and teams hunger for those more than position players with large contracts and declining abilities.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave him a "D". Here are the actual results thus far...

eitRIwp.png