• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rapoport on Aldon situation

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The Aldon arrest thread was hijacked so I'll post this hear. Interesting, I suppose.

Ian Rapoport:

From #GameDayMorning: #49ers pass-rusher Aldon Smith will play today, but he may play sparingly, per source. Adds a different dynamic.

Why did #49ers suspend DeMarcus Dobbs in similar situation not Aldon? Dobbs missed team meetings & the bus. Suspended for football reasons.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers need Smith, they don't need Dobbs. That is why Smith will play. That's just the way it is. Values and ethics don't mean shit as long as you can play.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Mort just talked about it in detail and shed some light on the decision to play Smith. He said a consensus has been reached that Smith needs help with his substance abuse issues, but that right now, the 49ers can't do much in terms of punishing him. League officials have told him that under the CBA and Substance Abuse policy, the team CANNOT suspend Smith, and even deactivating him is "under question". He will certainly be punished eventually, but right now his personal well being is taking priority.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mortreport: Aldon Smith could not be suspended by 49ers under CBA; consensus is get Smith to treatment once they get thru weekend. Help the young man.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mort just talked about it in detail and shed some light on the decision to play Smith. He said a consensus has been reached that Smith needs help with his substance abuse issues, but that right now, the 49ers can't do much in terms of punishing him. League officials have told him that under the CBA and Substance Abuse policy, the team CANNOT suspend Smith, and even deactivating him is "under question". He will certainly be punished eventually, but right now his personal well being is taking priority.

Ya right! I wonder if those 19 sacks he had last year have anything to do with the priority being on his personal well being. What a crock of shit. The focus is on what helps the 49ers win.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Chris Mortensen:

Aldon Smith could not be suspended by 49ers under CBA; consensus is get Smith to treatment once they get thru weekend. Help the young man.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Mortensen:

Aldon Smith could not be suspended by 49ers under CBA; consensus is get Smith to treatment once they get thru weekend. Help the young man.

Bullshit! Teams can always suspend a player for conduct detrimental to the team. Being drunk at 7 o'clock in the morning and being on your way home from an all nighter when you are supposed to be at practice in less than an hour certainly qualifies as such.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ann Killion needs to retract her story about Harbaugh and niners. Went back and forth on twitter last night about her story bashing the niners for not suspending aldon

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Jay Glazer:

Aldon Smith could enter rehab as early as this week. Those close to him and team are concerned about him and are pushing for it in order for him to get help. Has already been discussed

49ers working w Aldon on this totally independent of league punishment. There is genuine concern. It's up to Aldon to decide this week if he goes or not

jarrod49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mort also reported that he spoke with Santa Clara authorites and that there was no marijuana in Aldons vehicle.

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit! Teams can always suspend a player for conduct detrimental to the team. Being drunk at 7 o'clock in the morning and being on your way home from an all nighter when you are supposed to be at practice in less than an hour certainly qualifies as such.

What do you not get that alcohol addiction is considered a disease. So when alcohol-related incidents arise, employers must offer treatment and in some incidents, handcuffed from handing out punishment. It's not a conspiracy.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The problem with that is that the NFLPA will challenge any suspension the Niners hand down as a violation of the CBA, even if they wrap it in a nice "conduct detrimental" cloak. Why would SF take that chance when they KNOW the NFL has the right to issue a suspension for the DUI? It would be picking a fight that doesn't need to be picked.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is that the NFLPA will challenge any suspension the Niners hand down as a violation of the CBA, even if they wrap it in a nice "conduct detrimental" cloak. Why would SF take that chance when they KNOW the NFL has the right to issue a suspension for the DUI? It would be picking a fight that doesn't need to be picked.

I'm just saying they could. I know they won't because they want to win.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm just saying they could. I know they won't because they want to win.

It has nothing to do with wanting to win. It's about knowing that discipline is coming that is agreed to in the CBA. Why step on those toes? They could go with the theory that the NFLPA grievance wouldn't be heard in time to change things for today, but there are consequences for violating the CBA.

And the CBA rules on Conduct Detrimental have changed considerably ever since the Bucs decided to send Keyshawn home.

If a cop finds a serial killer he can't just shoot him, knowing that he'll get the death penalty anyway. He arrests him and they follow due process. Why are you asking the Niners to ignore due process and piss of the NFL and NFLPA with the same move when you KNOW punishment will be coming?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with wanting to win. It's about knowing that discipline is coming that is agreed to in the CBA. Why step on those toes? They could go with the theory that the NFLPA grievance wouldn't be heard in time to change things for today, but there are consequences for violating the CBA.

And the CBA rules on Conduct Detrimental have changed considerably ever since the Bucs decided to send Keyshawn home.

If a cop finds a serial killer he can't just shoot him, knowing that he'll get the death penalty anyway. He arrests him and they follow due process. Why are you asking the Niners to ignore due process and piss of the NFL and NFLPA with the same move when you KNOW punishment will be coming?

I'm not asking them to suspend him. I want him to play because I want to win. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the 49er position that they won't suspend him because they want to "help the young man". They won't suspend him because they want to win. You notice they suspended a scrub like Dobbs for the same thing?

The reason they should suspend him though is to teach him a lesson and set an example. He put the public in danger by driving drunk enough to not be able to control his vehicle. He showed a blatent disreagrd for public safety. It would be the right thing to do ethically.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not asking them to suspend him. I want him to play because I want to win. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the 49er position that they won't suspend him because they want to "help the young man". They won't suspend him because they want to win. You notice they suspended a scrub like Dobbs for the same thing?

The reason they should suspend him though is to teach him a lesson and set an example. He put the public in danger by driving drunk enough to not be able to control his vehicle. He showed a blatent disreagrd for public safety. It would be the right thing to do ethically.

My understanding of the Dobbs was that he wasn't suspended, but was in court or something at the time the flight left so he was deactivated and missed the flight (last year).
If you're talking about this year, then I don't know the two situations are as analogous as you prtray them.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ann Killion needs to retract her story about Harbaugh and niners. Went back and forth on twitter last night about her story bashing the niners for not suspending aldon

Its like there is no level of sanctimonious moralizing that is too much for writers these days. They seem to feel very comfortable sitting in judgment of humanity, pointing fingers, like its their responsibility.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its like there is no level of sanctimonious moralizing that is too much for writers these days. They seem to feel very comfortable sitting in judgment of humanity, pointing fingers, like its their responsibility.

I like Ann Killion's writing, but I had to unfollow her after that stupid article. At least get all the facts first and then spew your one-sided bullshit.

This is why I like the beat writers better. They have a good pulse on the team and are focused on the facts. People like Ray Ratto, Tim Kawakami, and (now) Ann Killion are worthless to me with their op-ed pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mort also reported that he spoke with Santa Clara authorites and that there was no marijuana in Aldons vehicle.

Which just shows why people like ann killion jumping to conclusions and blame are being rediculous.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaioccoCSN: Aldon Smith's locker is completely empty -- the only such locker in the 49ers' locker room.