• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rankings Game

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All seem to be valid points. Personally, I like consistency even if its a little lower than the guy that puts up randomly big numbers. But then again, I don't have 3 MBBRL Championships either. ....

The 'penalty' for games missed seems to help smooth things out.

From Treff's point of view, I've lost my share of 'studs' due to injury/susp during playoff time - - they sure didn't feel very valuable to me at that particular time - even though they got me there. ..... :gaah: Yet, value to a team is very subjective, game to game, in itself.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All seem to be valid points. Personally, I like consistency even if its a little lower than the guy that puts up randomly big numbers. But then again, I don't have 3 MBBRL Championships either. ....

The 'penalty' for games missed seems to help smooth things out.

From Treff's point of view, I've lost my share of 'studs' due to injury/susp during playoff time - - they sure didn't feel very valuable to me at that particular time - even though they got me there. ..... :gaah: Yet, value to a team is very subjective, game to game, in itself.

this is not intended to punish the elite... chances are the elite AND consistent will not be affected at all by this, they will remain on top... really what this is for is to show that Players like Mark ingram had a better season than latavius Murray...

Lat murray is actually the perfect example to what i am trying to do... he played 16 games last season, and had 162 points in standard leagues... that is just over 10 points per week... that is just not that good for the 10th best RB...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
value to a team is very subjective, game to game, in itself.

Lefty coming out with good sensible stuff today. Must be getting his game face on! :nod:

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
isnt part of the charm including those that get injured
Injuries = charm?

I'm with Treff on this PPG skim milk idea.
I get what Milk, tlance and Lefty are saying, but at season's end, where a player finishes is just that - the end. His finish becomes the new barometer for the next season. Projecting his value for the upcoming season is when games missed, and consistency should factor in to the equation.
A guy that finishes in the top 25 or top 36 is helping somebody, whether he played in 10 or 16 games, or whether he was a pillar of dependability or inconsistent. He had to be a starter on someone's team.

Just looked at last year's MBBRL finishes.
Of the top 25 QB only 2 guys tied. Eli and Rodgers.
Of the RB, 11 players tied in the top 36.
And of the WR, 9 players tied in the top 36.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries = charm?

I'm with Treff on this PPG skim milk idea.
I get what Milk, tlance and Lefty are saying, but at season's end, where a player finishes is just that - the end. His finish becomes the new barometer for the next season. Projecting his value for the upcoming season is when games missed, and consistency should factor in to the equation.
A guy that finishes in the top 25 or top 36 is helping somebody, whether he played in 10 or 16 games, or whether he was a pillar of dependability or inconsistent. He had to be a starter on someone's team.

Just looked at last year's MBBRL finishes.
Of the top 25 QB only 2 guys tied. Eli and Rodgers.
Of the RB, 11 players tied in the top 36.
And of the WR, 9 players tied in the top 36.

either way... this has been a fun debate...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well again. .this isn't about assigning value to players, or holding them in high regards. .it's about predicting where they'll finish, as a ranking. Doesn't really matter that you or I do or don't hold player X as a high value whether or not he misses a few games, what matters is where they finish and seeing which of us, can most accurately predict it. Guessing who may or may not get injured, getting hosed becuase your guy did get hurt, is all part of the fun of the whole thing.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well again. .this isn't about assigning value to players, or holding them in high regards. .it's about predicting where they'll finish, as a ranking. Doesn't really matter that you or I do or don't hold player X as a high value whether or not he misses a few games, what matters is where they finish and seeing which of us, can most accurately predict it. Guessing who may or may not get injured, getting hosed becuase your guy did get hurt, is all part of the fun of the whole thing.

first off, i will never do something JUST because it is the way it has always been done... So i can care less if that was the way Wilwhite did it...

so i am not afraid to tweak the purpose of the game... especially if i think the game would be better by doing so...

thats why i brought up the option to change...

and predicting injuries is still a major part of the game... it is not like a player who only plays 4 games will be in the top 10...

Honestly, i don't even see how the proposed change would affect peoples ranking lists... It will only affect the end of season rankings

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first off, i will never do something JUST because it is the way it has always been done... So i can care less if that was the way Wilwhite did it...

so i am not afraid to tweak the purpose of the game... especially if i think the game would be better by doing so...

thats why i brought up the option to change...

and predicting injuries is still a major part of the game... it is not like a player who only plays 4 games will be in the top 10...

Honestly, i don't even see how the proposed change would affect peoples ranking lists... It will only affect the end of season rankings
it's an end of season rankings prediction contest!!! Smh..that's the whole point!

If you don't want to run THIS contest/game, then don't do it, start your own.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk, I like your enthusiasm. But I would think that if you have to do multiple calculations each week to keep us abreast as to how our rankings are doing, you'd want to keep it simple. Like the 4 things you originally mentioned.

Not to mention keeping up with the 10 or 12 leagues you might be maintaining each week.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milk, I like your enthusiasm. But I would think that if you have to do multiple calculations each week to keep us abreast as to how our rankings are doing, you'd want to keep it simple. Like the 4 things you originally mentioned.

Not to mention keeping up with the 10 or 12 leagues you might be maintaining each week.

its not multiple calculations... Great thing about excel is that you can make EVERYTHING automatic...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's an end of season rankings prediction contest!!! Smh..that's the whole point!

If you don't want to run THIS contest/game, then don't do it, start your own.

Never said i don't want to do it.. But one of my pet peeves is when someone says we won't change something because this is the way it has always been....

I don't mind whatever we decide, but at least let it be an option...

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way sounds good to me think i'm going to submit my list a little closer to the deadline though i'm sure there will be a ton of injuries again.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blaine Gabbert, 2016 MVP!!! :pound:

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lefty coming out with good sensible stuff today. Must be getting his game face on! :nod:

I have occasional moments of clarity ..... must be because I've been spending added time with the kids and grandkids. ...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be on vacation from August 14-26 so I will push the deadline to Sunday August 28

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said i don't want to do it.. But one of my pet peeves is when someone says we won't change something because this is the way it has always been....

I don't mind whatever we decide, but at least let it be an option...
Ok, is not just becuase that's the way its been, it's becuase that's the way it has been, and it's effing worked perfectly fine. It's been that way with the MBBRL you wanted to come in and change, it was that way when you wanted to come in and change the suicide leagues, and it's that way in this instance. It's be different if people complained that is was stagnant, or want scored properly, or just plain want fun, but that's not the case. Everyone, to a man, says these are the funnest leagues and associated little contest/games that they've ever been a part of, and im so sick and tired of one person, just one person, constantly thinking of ways to change everything. Not just tweaks, but things that radically change the way the whole setup would operate. It ain't broke, stop trying to fix it. You want to take over and add a little tweak here and there, fine, I was actually somewhat looking forward to see what tweaks you might come up with, but no, first thing outta the gun a proposal that changes the entire point of the whole thing.

I'm just sick and tired of hearing how something that's been amazing for 5, 6, 7 years now, Milk thinks it needs to done differently. To me, that's someone coming in and saying, this sucks, you all have been doing everything all wrong and I need to change it. It's a slap in the face. Well it doesn't suck, it doesn't need any fixing.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting Le'Veon Bell does not get ranked #1...

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how the point changes. As milk said it shouldn't change anybodys rankings really. That said I don't really care which way we do it.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting Le'Veon Bell does not get ranked #1...

:gaah:

Looks like I'm all in on AP this year... unless tlance shocks me at 1 overall... which he won't.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how the point changes. As milk said it shouldn't change anybodys rankings really. That said I don't really care which way we do it.
Just to expand on why I think that, not to open another point of debate on the subject..

It changes the point becuase attempting to predict or account for guys missing games, LeVeon Bell being a prime example since he routinely misses 2-3 games with some random injury and now is suspended, is part of the strategy in compiling your rankings, adding in per game averages, regardless of weight given, negates that aspect, and creates a "most valuable player" prediction, as opposed to just comparing our rankings. And this whole thing started becuase we wondered, as a group, how would our rankings stack up against the "experts"? That's why the guys from ESPN, CBS, Yahoo, and others are included, so how are we going to get an accurate comparison of how we stack up against them if we're compiling rankings based on a different set of rules than they are?

That's the point as to why it changes the entire premise of having this thing