• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rank the Most Important Positions

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you read the posts? The last couple have forget to even remember to even include Centers. Oh, and this crucial crucial position finally got someone on the NFL's top 100 list at 87. Such an important position and the guys who actually play the game listed the best Center, first team All Pro at #87 along with the Malcolm Jenkins and Doug Baldwins. BIG IMPACT THEM CENTERS HAVE!
This is just so dumb on to many levels.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are just so many points he ignores and so many weak points to his argument.
Examples:
Players not rated in the top 100: For the most part that list if the NFL equivalent of the Heisman. The Heisman seldom goes to the best player in college football, it mostly goes to the guy who scores the most points or has the most yards. It typically completely ignores defensive players and always ignores O Linemen It's a fraud.

How often Centers are drafted; This completely ignores how many college centers are converted to Guards you have to remember there are two tackles, two guards and one center the need is less.

Teams hold onto good centers: It's not often you hear of teams letting a top center go, because they know they are hard to replace if your team has a top notch center they will make every effort to retain him.

O-Line Careers: Typically O Linemen have long careers so the need to fill those positions is less frequent than almost any other position. Now if guys get picked up by other teams or just get old then the need presents itself.

QB Confidence: Any QB at any level will tell you how important his center is, it's like the holder for a kicker there is so much that goes into one NFL play and so much information exchanged on one play.

The problem with his argument and he simply isn't mature enough to admit it is that he thinks importance ties into how flashy, or how many points a player scores. In the end he simply does not understand what a center must do.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the change in passing offenses has altered value at several positions.
The LT and pass rusher values have gone up. A CB and run blocking OG's value have gone down.
Today more good CBs are needed, but the single lock down CB can't accomplish as much.
Because more players on defense have to cover, it's more valuable to be able to pressure the QB with fewer players, so a dominant pass rusher's value is up.
Also the day of the MLB who can't drop into coverage is over, or at least his value is very diminished. Players like Ogletree and kuechly's value is way up, they are every down, every situation players.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are just so many points he ignores and so many weak points to his argument.
Examples:
Players not rated in the top 100: For the most part that list if the NFL equivalent of the Heisman. The Heisman seldom goes to the best player in college football, it mostly goes to the guy who scores the most points or has the most yards. It typically completely ignores defensive players and always ignores O Linemen It's a fraud.

How often Centers are drafted; This completely ignores how many college centers are converted to Guards you have to remember there are two tackles, two guards and one center the need is less.

Teams hold onto good centers: It's not often you hear of teams letting a top center go, because they know they are hard to replace if your team has a top notch center they will make every effort to retain him.

O-Line Careers: Typically O Linemen have long careers so the need to fill those positions is less frequent than almost any other position. Now if guys get picked up by other teams or just get old then the need presents itself.

QB Confidence: Any QB at any level will tell you how important his center is, it's like the holder for a kicker there is so much that goes into one NFL play and so much information exchanged on one play.

The problem with his argument and he simply isn't mature enough to admit it is that he thinks importance ties into how flashy, or how many points a player scores. In the end he simply does not understand what a center must do.

Responding to your first paragraph... There are tons of defensive players and lineman on that list so I disagree. I've listed about 10 reasons why Centers aren't valued as high as several other positions and all people reply with is personal opinion.
1. Why don't they ever get drafted in the top 15 if they are soooo critical.
2. Why don't fellow NFL players rank them on their top 100 list if there so important
3. Why can the Eagles get the 3rd rated C in the draft off the undrafted list if teams need such a crucial position
4. Why do NFL players like Brooks write articles on position importance and they are waaay down the list
5. Why are they one of the lowest paid positions in the league if GMs thought they were so critical
6. If every player was a FA and we could redraft every player your telling me one of the 1st picks would be a Center.... Cause they are soooo important right.

Everyone ignores all these points which ypu could swap with a special teams gunner proving a gunner is unimportant, but its somehow different from a Center.

Jesus, I can't believe in actually arguing with people. Freaking Center? Jeeezus.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the change in passing offenses has altered value at several positions.
The LT and pass rusher values have gone up. A CB and run blocking OG's value have gone down.
Today more good CBs are needed, but the single lock down CB can't accomplish as much.
Because more players on defense have to cover, it's more valuable to be able to pressure the QB with fewer players, so a dominant pass rusher's value is up.
Also the day of the MLB who can't drop into coverage is over, or at least his value is very diminished. Players like Ogletree and kuechly's value is way up, they are every down, every situation players.

The game has changed but wasnt it like 22 CBs taken in the first 100 picks? CB is super important in today's passing game. Coincidentally 1 Center went in the first 100 picks... BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IMPORTANCE, RIGHT?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Responding to your first paragraph... There are tons of defensive players and lineman on that list so I disagree. I've listed about 10 reasons why Centers aren't valued as high as several other positions and all people reply with is personal opinion.
1. Why don't they ever get drafted in the top 15 if they are soooo critical.
2. Why don't fellow NFL players rank them on their top 100 list if there so important
3. Why can the Eagles get the 3rd rated C in the draft off the undrafted list if teams need such a crucial position
4. Why do NFL players like Brooks write articles on position importance and they are waaay down the list
5. Why are they one of the lowest paid positions in the league if GMs thought they were so critical
6. If every player was a FA and we could redraft every player your telling me one of the 1st picks would be a Center.... Cause they are soooo important right.

Everyone ignores all these points which ypu could swap with a special teams gunner proving a gunner is unimportant, but its somehow different from a Center.

Jesus, I can't believe in actually arguing with people. Freaking Center? Jeeezus.

I've put out points but you choose to ignore them.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game has changed but wasnt it like 22 CBs taken in the first 100 picks? CB is super important in today's passing game. Coincidentally 1 Center went in the first 100 picks... BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IMPORTANCE, RIGHT?

It makes sense to need more good CBs when more receivers need to be covered, but conversely the single CB's unique value is lessened. The day when Sanders could go from San Francisco to Dallas and shift the scale enough to give The Cowboys the edge might to a thing of the past. There is only one QB on the field, get to that QB and you've altered the game. Lock down a single receiver though and on a passing down you still have several other options for the offense to be successful. That makes a dominant pass rusher more valuable in my opinion.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point it's obvious phoenixeagle is just ignoring anything anybody has to say. His purpose is solely to keep a dead thread alive. One of two things is true here, 1. He is ignoring the simple truth and undervalues the importance of the Center position. 2. He knows very little about how the game is played, you can look at numbers all day but they mean very little in this matter.

For me I think it's best to ignore him at this point at least in this thread. He is now like that annoying kid that lives next door, if you just walk past him and ignore him he goes away.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point it's obvious phoenixeagle is just ignoring anything anybody has to say. His purpose is solely to keep a dead thread alive. One of two things is true here, 1. He is ignoring the simple truth and undervalues the importance of the Center position. 2. He knows very little about how the game is played, you can look at numbers all day but they mean very little in this matter.

For me I think it's best to ignore him at this point at least in this thread. He is now like that annoying kid that lives next door, if you just walk past him and ignore him he goes away.

Yawn. I don't keep it going. It's when others bring it alive. All I've heard is... the make the calls for the entire line. I listed point after point.

Like I said... if we drafted the entire league from scratch you're telling me Fredricks would be one of the first guys picked cause C is soooo important
I know football extremely well. And I've seen how centers are never dafted high just like Kickers and ST gunners. They aren't paid like other positions. They are pretty much ignored in the draft cause you can pick up just about anyone and plug them in. I've seen how Centers can't play LT or RT because they aren't gifted enough

I've seen multiple articles by ex NFL players rank them near the bottom. Center... Jesus christ.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't think centers are important, talk to Matt Ryan.

in 2015, I think the center's name was Mike Person or something like that. He struggled with his blocking concepts, and shotgun snaps were always an adventure.

Team goes out and gets Alex Mack, a guy that knew and understood his assignments and was pretty good at them, and it was an entirely new offense for the better.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

in 2015, I think the center's name was Mike Person or something like that. He struggled with his blocking concepts, and shotgun snaps were always an adventure.

Team goes out and gets Alex Mack, a guy that knew and understood his assignments and was pretty good at them, and it was an entirely new offense for the better.

Every position could have the same impact. We could say the same about Long Snappers. If the Patriots had a horrific long snapper they still wouldnt have won a SB. Every position is important. Centers are just down the list of importance.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dont use logic

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every position could have the same impact. We could say the same about Long Snappers. If the Patriots had a horrific long snapper they still wouldnt have won a SB. Every position is important. Centers are just down the list of importance.
you know centers make the calls most the time right, not the guards or tackles

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know centers make the calls most the time right, not the guards or tackles

MLBers make the calls too and arent as important as DE's, QB's, LT's, CB's.

Again... my favorite point out of many I listed is that if the NFL hypothetically disbanded and every player became a FA and we had a redraft of EVERY player you're telling me Jason Kelce would be one of the first guys selected in the redraft. He was 1st team All Pro this year and you'd draft him over Antonio Brown, Tom Brady, Khalil Mack, Leveon Bell, Carson Wentz, Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, Gronk, Julio Jones, Luke Kuechly, Jalen Ramsey, Fletcher Cox, Calais Campbell, Tyron Smith, Bobby Wagner, Odell Beckham, Aaron Rodgers