• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rank the 32 GM's

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Broncos winning the Super Bowl this year Manning was the highest paid QB to ever win the Super Bowl. Those $100 million contracts are definitely tough to overcome.

Yeah, you have to hand it to Elway, the Ware/Talib signings were huge, but it certainly helps to have your most impactful DEF player on a rookie contract.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you have to hand it to Elway, the Ware/Talib signings were huge, but it certainly helps to have your most impactful DEF player on a rookie contract.

Every team that has won the Super Bowl since the Salary Cap came into play has had to have that impactful rookie. Just part of building a team these days in you have to depend on your 1st contract guys to contribute. Can't buy a championship

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team that has won the Super Bowl since the Salary Cap came into play has had to have that impactful rookie. Just part of building a team these days in you have to depend on your 1st contract guys to contribute. Can't buy a championship

That last part of your post goes w/o saying. We're talking about a bit more than just contributing. I've seen 2 CD...Russell Wilson and Von Miller.

Can't buy a title...in large part, isn't that what DEN just did with Manning, Talib, and Ware? Not that I'm critiquing or have issues with it...and NE before them with the CBs..it's the new NFL...I wish PIT would splurge on top FA talent more often.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big question with him is whether he can stay off the booze. He's been good everywhere he has gone. Until he wasn't.

Well I believe it is a risk worth taking & he appears to have this under control. This was tested quite a bit when his wife (soon to be ex?) put him through quite a bit in the preseason.

In any case - this is certainly better than some of the sober ex-GMs who were just flat out awful.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last part of your post goes w/o saying. We're talking about a bit more than just contributing. I've seen 2 CD...Russell Wilson and Von Miller.

Can't buy a title...in large part, isn't that what DEN just did with Manning, Talib, and Ware? Not that I'm critiquing or have issues with it...and NE before them with the CBs..it's the new NFL...I wish PIT would splurge on top FA talent more often.

Well just looking at the past 3 champions. They all went into FA spending on some big names. The Seahawks went and got Bennett and Clemens to improve the pass rush. The Patriots went and got some ridiculous Corners. The Broncos went and got a few guys although I wouldn't say Manning was a big part of us winning it this year but his contract was almost a hindrance if we didn't have so many guys on their 1st contract. So yeah it takes everything really of having those 1st contract guys, FA's that come in and contribute, then the players that you have built up that are on the 2nd contract. It is why it is so hard to stay on top in the NFL these days unless you have that top-7 QB. So yes the Broncos were aggressive in spending on FA's but it was all 53 players really contributing. I mean Manning, Ware, and others missed big chunks of this season but the team kept going as their back ups came in and played at a very high level. To me for the Broncos it is not so much about FA and who they sign but can they have the same level of depth this next year?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I believe it is a risk worth taking & he appears to have this under control. This was tested quite a bit when his wife (soon to be ex?) put him through quite a bit in the preseason.

In any case - this is certainly better than some of the sober ex-GMs who were just flat out awful.

If I were a Redskin fan I would be pretty excited but also temper it with the fact that he has worn out his welcome in the past.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just with a flippant ranking, I came up with this.

1. John Schneider (SEA)
2. Hoody (NE)
3. Ozzie Newsome (BAL)
4. Steve Keim (AZ)
5. Dave Gettleman (CAR)
6. John Elway (DEN)
7. Mike Brown (CIN)
8. Ted Thompson (GB)
9. John Dorsey (KC)
10. Colbert (Pitt)
11. Reggie Mckenzie (Oak)
12. Scot McCloughan (WSH)
13. Rick Smith (HOU)
14. Rick Spielman (MINN)
15. Maccagnan (NYJ)
16. Jerry Jones (DAL)
17. Howie Roseman (PHI)
18. Doug Whaley (BUFF)
19. Les Snead (LAR)
20. Dave Caldwell (JAX)
21. Trent Baalke (SF)
22. Ryan Pace (CHI)
23. Bob Quinn (DET)
24. Dimitroff (ATL)
25. Grigson (IND)
26. Loomis (NO)
27. Mike Tannenbaum (MIA)
28. Jason Licht (TB)
29. Tom Telesco (SD)
30. Jerry Reese (NYG)
31. Grier (TENN)
32. Brown's interim (CLE)

I'm torn on a guy like Reggie McKenzie. Yes the Raiders look better and have some promising young players but at the same time when they have been picking Top-5 most years for the past 10-15 years eventually you have to start hitting on some of those players. They are still though considered the 2nd least likely franchise that players have said they would be willing to sign with. Across the league they are still considered a place you never want to go as a FA. Heck they were linked to every top FA this past year with so much money and didn't even bring in a single one to discuss a contract. They don't have the cash flow to sign them which I guess isn't really McKenzie's fault but I just don't know that I have been all that impressed with his work. Heck in FA they already cut one of the biggest FA's they signed last off season because he didn't produce and cut almost every FA they signed from the year before that already.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well just looking at the past 3 champions. They all went into FA spending on some big names. The Seahawks went and got Bennett and Clemens to improve the pass rush. The Patriots went and got some ridiculous Corners. The Broncos went and got a few guys although I wouldn't say Manning was a big part of us winning it this year but his contract was almost a hindrance if we didn't have so many guys on their 1st contract. So yeah it takes everything really of having those 1st contract guys, FA's that come in and contribute, then the players that you have built up that are on the 2nd contract. It is why it is so hard to stay on top in the NFL these days unless you have that top-7 QB. So yes the Broncos were aggressive in spending on FA's but it was all 53 players really contributing. I mean Manning, Ware, and others missed big chunks of this season but the team kept going as their back ups came in and played at a very high level. To me for the Broncos it is not so much about FA and who they sign but can they have the same level of depth this next year?

I applaud it CD...not condemn it.

IMO Manning was the catalyst...granted his skills were not the reason DEN won the SB this year, but w/o him...are Ware & Talib even in DEN?

And...you're so right about the 53...take kids like Shaq Barrett...that one still burns me because PIT had the inroads there because of Joey Porter...lost him over a damn $10k bonus I've heard. I also heard they were in the midst of extending Ben when Barrett was brought in, but still...he's making pennies.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on a guy like Reggie McKenzie. Yes the Raiders look better and have some promising young players but at the same time when they have been picking Top-5 most years for the past 10-15 years eventually you have to start hitting on some of those players. They are still though considered the 2nd least likely franchise that players have said they would be willing to sign with. Across the league they are still considered a place you never want to go as a FA. Heck they were linked to every top FA this past year with so much money and didn't even bring in a single one to discuss a contract. They don't have the cash flow to sign them which I guess isn't really McKenzie's fault but I just don't know that I have been all that impressed with his work. Heck in FA they already cut one of the biggest FA's they signed last off season because he didn't produce and cut almost every FA they signed from the year before that already.
Generally most people should be torn on the GM works of guys outside of maybe 5 or 6 GMs. Getting Carr, Mack and Cooper while signing Crabtree has been huge for them. They still need more, though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I applaud it CD...not condemn it.

IMO Manning was the catalyst...granted his skills were not the reason DEN won the SB this year, but w/o him...are Ware & Talib even in DEN?

And...you're so right about the 53...take kids like Shaq Barrett...that one still burns me because PIT had the inroads there because of Joey Porter...lost him over a damn $10k bonus I've heard. I also heard they were in the midst of extending Ben when Barrett was brought in, but still...he's making pennies.

I think Talib and Ware are in Denver whether Manning is here or not. They both signed top dollar contracts for their position so not like they took this huge discount to come to Denver. Now maybe Sanders is not in Denver without Manning at the helm or Mathis for the OL. The defensive guys though they were paid very well for their services.

And guys like Barrett yeah you have to find a few of those as well. Can't just hit on the 1st-3rd round guys but have to find those late round/UDFA guys to come in and be very good contributors as well. For the Broncos this year they had Paradis, Anderson, Barrett, Fowler, Green, Jackson, and Trevathan all as late round or later guys that really stepped up for us at different moments. They were not all starters but all found ways to make impact plays.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bellichick is pretty good but he seems to have a hard time drafting good Wide Receivers and Cornerbacks.

Great with the waiver wires and walk-on's but the draft? Not as great.

The draft is good for obvious stuff.

But they don't draft high enough for the really obvious stuff.

I can already see a couple of "failures" from other teams he will be interested in this year. Several from his own division.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally most people should be torn on the GM works of guys outside of maybe 5 or 6 GMs. Getting Carr, Mack and Cooper while signing Crabtree has been huge for them. They still need more, though.

I guess to me guys like Cooper and Mack were pretty no brainer picks though. Like I said with them picking top-5 or so most years you would think they have to start hitting on some of those guys. Carr to me has been the best pick as it wasn't that top-5 guy but has contributed very well. I'm very interested to see what they do now that they are out of the top-10. Can they find that impactful 1st round pick again and how do the past couple of drafts beyond the top guys begin to contribute. Also how will FA go for them this year as it hasn't been that great the past 2 years...Are players more willing to go to Oakland with some of the young talent showing up?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Talib and Ware are in Denver whether Manning is here or not. They both signed top dollar contracts for their position so not like they took this huge discount to come to Denver. Now maybe Sanders is not in Denver without Manning at the helm or Mathis for the OL. The defensive guys though they were paid very well for their services.

And guys like Barrett yeah you have to find a few of those as well. Can't just hit on the 1st-3rd round guys but have to find those late round/UDFA guys to come in and be very good contributors as well. For the Broncos this year they had Paradis, Anderson, Barrett, Fowler, Green, Jackson, and Trevathan all as late round or later guys that really stepped up for us at different moments. They were not all starters but all found ways to make impact plays.

My point on Talib & Ware..they were going to get paid well where ever they went, but to go play with Manning for that cash had to mean something more than getting the same money from say CLE who could just as easily stroked the check. Note, I use CLE purely as an ex...they may not even have been in the picture, but you get my point. To get paid well playing on a winner is double the fun. You mentioned Sanders...former Steeler...another one. Actually really happy for him btw...guy played out his contract to the fullest in PIT, didn't hold back in his contract year...got paid, and got a ring.

I think most teams have those later rd picks that contribute...they just shine more when you win it all.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess to me guys like Cooper and Mack were pretty no brainer picks though.
I actually don't think Cooper was a no brainer pick. I think he had a drops problem in college and he definitely has a drops problem in the NFL. The other two top WR prospects that I liked just missed the whole year with injuries and DGB is still too raw to judge. I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper has a very average NFL career.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don't think Cooper was a no brainer pick. I think he had a drops problem in college and he definitely has a drops problem in the NFL. The other two top WR prospects that I liked just missed the whole year with injuries and DGB is still too raw to judge. I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper has a very average NFL career.
Ok good point on Cooper. I did have Kevin White ahead of him because of the drops problem and I probably still would today. I meant more when you are picking top-5 for the most part everybody knows the players who are going top-5 every single year. While NFL teams still have to do their homework on the prospects because it is a big investment I would think it is easier to find a top talent early in the draft rather than late. For me with McKenzie I haven't seen at on of those late round guys turn into rising stars or what I would call a major productive player.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think McKenzie is on the right track...came from a strong organization, knows how to build a team. He inherited some bad contracts he needed to wade through before he could really start making a dent. It's tough to turn around a decade of losing football.

If OAK is not a playoff team by '17...then I think we can point the finger squarely at McKenzie.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think McKenzie is on the right track...came from a strong organization, knows how to build a team. He inherited some bad contracts he needed to wade through before he could really start making a dent. It's tough to turn around a decade of losing football.

If OAK is not a playoff team by '17...then I think we can point the finger squarely at McKenzie.

Here has been my 2 problems with him. 1) FA wise he has not done good at all. I understand he came into a mess but the last 2 years he has had money to spend and both FA classes have had very little return. They have gotten a little from guys like Crabtree and a couple of others but for the most part not all that impressed with the groups considering the money they have had to spend. 2) Beyond the 1st 3 rounds of the draft he really hasn't done much for the Raiders. Heck even in the 1st 3 rounds he has had a lot of busts so far. I mean Hayden, Watson, and Moore the 1st 3 picks of 2013 could all be gone from the team this year. The last 2 drafts he did much better in those rounds but again very little production from the lower rounds. GM's always say that is where you really build a roster is with finding those late round contributors that really fill out your depth. Well I think we saw with the Raiders this year they started out looking pretty good but really fell off as the year went on. I think part of that is a real lack of depth.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The draft is good for obvious stuff.

But they don't draft high enough for the really obvious stuff.

I can already see a couple of "failures" from other teams he will be interested in this year. Several from his own division.

Do you Know who is good at finding gems in that Obvious stuff............

john-schneider.jpg

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, idk that I would call it luck, but that happens in a tough DIV...you might win 9 gms and actually be a pretty good team.

I don't want to make this just about the N...imo the same thing would apply in the W...NE has just has an easy run of it....too easy for professional football. Now...considering what took place LY...maybe that's about the change.

It's hard to say. Every year, the Jets, Bills and/or Miami are supposed to be better but who knows.