• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers visit Los Angeles Angels of Orange County of Anaheim of California of America...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This subject is going to get beat to death over the next few days I'm sure.

But here's one take on it.

Sherrington: Re-acquiring Josh Hamilton is not a matter of why; it's a question of what do Rangers have to lose? | Dallas Morning News

Thats my whole point. If for some reason a miracle happens and he infuses some life into the offense then great. If not then neither is anyone else. I was just as ticked as bmurph was about him when he left but I am over it now and it is not like we are in a pennant chase. So here is hoping that we have some excitement out of this.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From DMN article:

The current Rangers believe Hamilton can win back his fans in Texas.

“People say stupid things, we’ve all done it,” Beltre said. “But if you move forward and do the right thing after that, people will notice that, too.”

“I think he’s got a lot left in the tank,” said pitcher Colby Lewis. “I think being back in a place where he is comfortable with the team and the atmosphere will be good for him. I think it will be a recipe for success.”

“If he can help us win games, I’m open to it,” said third baseman Adrian Beltre. “If he comes here, I hope he is in a good place. I hope he can be the Josh we all know. As a teammate, we’d do everything we can to help him stay focused on baseball and to keep things as simple as possible.”

“We’ve always done a good job of having his back and supporting him,” shortstop Elvis Andrus said. “We will support him again. We just want him to come in, show up and play. He can help us.”

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone notice that Thomas Field is hitting 340 with 5 HRs at RR?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats my whole point. If for some reason a miracle happens and he infuses some life into the offense then great. If not then neither is anyone else. I was just as ticked as bmurph was about him when he left but I am over it now and it is not like we are in a pennant chase. So here is hoping that we have some excitement out of this.

I agree with you, that all we can basically hope for now is some excitement.

But ya know, we're getting back a player who left here under poor circumstances (both on and off the field), he's now lost some of the physical skills he had when here, had problems with falling off the wagon when here and it's only gotten worse in LA, he'll be 34 next month (going on 47, if you know what I mean?) and he's costing us $5 mil. Did I leave out much?

But let me ask anyone/everyone this, what happened to the budget which we were so tied too in the off season?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But ya know, we're getting back a player who left here under poor circumstances (both on and off the field), he's now lost some of the physical skills he had when here, had problems with falling off the wagon when here and it's only gotten worse in LA, he'll be 34 next month (going on 47, if you know what I mean?) and he's costing us $5 mil. Did I leave out much?

But let me ask anyone/everyone this, what happened to the budget which we were so tied too in the off season?

Bennie really talked that budget restriction up. I felt like it was way overblown. However, I'm not really pleased this is how we're choosing to spend our dollars. It makes no sense to me. Maybe something will come out in the final deal that makes me go "ah yes!", but this is one of those few times JD really has me scratching my head.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on Hamilton coming back. I think it's a low risk move that could refuel the offense a bit if all goes well. Not saying he will play like an MVP though. But could give us a little spark. 5 million a season isn't to bad at all

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But ya know, we're getting back a player who left here under poor circumstances (both on and off the field), he's now lost some of the physical skills he had when here, had problems with falling off the wagon when here and it's only gotten worse in LA, he'll be 34 next month (going on 47, if you know what I mean?) and he's costing us $5 mil. Did I leave
But let me ask anyone/everyone what happened to the budget which we were so tied too in the off season?
Good question. My guess is they have a reserve above the budget or the budget figures are bogus to the public. Just a guess.:noidea:

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers provide Hamilton a "life coach" like they did before, there is a chance for success. The Angels failed to do that, and we all saw the results.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rangers provide Hamilton a "life coach" like they did before, there is a chance for success. The Angels failed to do that, and we all saw the results.

Given Josh's history it boggles my mind why Arte and clan wouldn't spend a little to give Josh a life coach and support system around him to try their best protecting their 125M committment.

As Angels you must love the fact that Arte is willing to spend money but at the same time there's quite a few head scratchers in what he's spending on and how much.

tnerb57

Rams 50+ Club Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given Josh's history it boggles my mind why Arte and clan wouldn't spend a little to give Josh a life coach and support system around him to try their best protecting their 125M committment.

As Angels you must love the fact that Arte is willing to spend money but at the same time there's quite a few head scratchers in what he's spending on and how much.
Don't feel we're getting much of a return on Pujols, either. Nor will we ever. That was a dumb deal.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennie really talked that budget restriction up. I felt like it was way overblown. However, I'm not really pleased this is how we're choosing to spend our dollars. It makes no sense to me. Maybe something will come out in the final deal that makes me go "ah yes!", but this is one of those few times JD really has me scratching my head.
The budget restriction that I talked up was based on offseason spending. The interview I heard with JD a year and a half ago was related to the next two offseasons(the one that just past and the previous one). Then he proceeded to say the same kind of things early this past offseason. In season spending has always been separate. That is why we go after guys like Lee, and Adams during the season and not similar players in the offseason. I do believe JD when he says the budget will be a certain amount.

I don't believe JD ever imagined being able to land Hamilton and only spend $5 million per season on him though. My claim was always that the offseason budget proclamations were JD being honest and not simply a smokescreen to throw folks off. If he tells us at the beginning of next offseason what he expects the next budget to be I will believe him again. He has proven to be honest when he is open about it. Now if he is vague and doesn't give a real answer then I will assume he doesn't want anyone to know.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between me spending a night out with my wife and then coming home to no electricity I haven't been on here. I see I have missed about 16 pages worth of comments. I don't really feel like going back through that many pages so I may repeat some things.

I am happy for Josh that he gets to come back here. I think it is a good risk for the Rangers, but I have no idea if he can contribute much to our success. I really can't believe that we can make a deal where we don't have to give anything up. I was hoping to include our bad outfielder contract in return, but once I saw we would only be out $5 million per year on Josh's salary I knew that wasn't going to happen.

This will be very good for Josh personally and I am happy for that because I hope he gets his life and his marriage back together.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The decision not to increase the budget very much was made in October 2013 and I don't think they ever envisioned this kind of scenario. Based on what JD told Norm back then the decision was based on who would be free agents last offseason and this past offseason. Also, the organization has always seemed to take a different approach regarding the budget during the season as opposed to in the offseason.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant says less than 7 million commitment because Josh is going to sacrifice a lot to the lack of state income tax. Wow that's a steal guys...

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between me spending a night out with my wife and then coming home to no electricity I haven't been on here. I see I have missed about 16 pages worth of comments. I don't really feel like going back through that many pages so I may repeat some things.

I am happy for Josh that he gets to come back here. I think it is a good risk for the Rangers, but I have no idea if he can contribute much to our success. I really can't believe that we can make a deal where we don't have to give anything up. I was hoping to include our bad outfielder contract in return, but once I saw we would only be out $5 million per year on Josh's salary I knew that wasn't going to happen.

This will be very good for Josh personally and I am happy for that because I hope he gets his life and his marriage back together.

Hopefully, for his sake, he isn't at all interesting in putting his marriage to that bitch back together. In fact, the exact opposite. Now that he's back in a more friendly "divorce atmosphere" he needs to get the best attorney available and be rid of her forever.

I do hope he gets his life, gets to see his kids, etc back in order though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At that price, what have we got to lose? I bet he has more in the tank than some of the bums we're currently trotting out in the OF.
Wise old Indian say: Bad split tail and dope head make bad medicine for Rangers.:pound:

Status
Not open for further replies.