• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Los Angeles Kings at Anaheim Ducks 12/3/13 | 10:00pm

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight King with the winner for the Kings!!!!! Martin Jones incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings skaters need to buy Jones anything he wants for dinner tomorrow night.

Ox

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KingsSOWinner.gif

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings skaters need to buy Jones anything he wants for dinner tomorrow night.

Ox

Looks like he needs it, he's about as skinny as me but way taller. Dude should eat a few Double Doubles on the way home tonight.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is wrong with Brown?
His horrible pass led to the 3-2 break with no hustle by him getting back.
Paying him a hell of a lot of money with minimal return

Been this way all season long as well as last season.

Sure he got the GTG tonight, but he was directly responsible for that 4 on 2 break that led to the goal right after the Kings scored. Simply doesn't seem like the same player from the Cup season - not scoring, not hitting, not really making a difference. Looks like a full time overpaid third/fourth liner.

That extension is looking awful already.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to get the win
Too bad it went to a shoot out
I hope Jones' dad made the game.
That OT was funny watching the refs trying to decide how many skaters were suppose to be on the ice. I don't think they did it right. The 4 on 3 should have stayed and the 2 minute second penalty should not have started until the first penalty was over. There should not have been a 5 on 3.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to get the win
Too bad it went to a shoot out
I hope Jones' dad made the game.
That OT was funny watching the refs trying to decide how many skaters were suppose to be on the ice. I don't think they did it right. The 4 on 3 should have stayed and the 2 minute second penalty should not have started until the first penalty was over. There should not have been a 5 on 3.

Nah it was right. This is from the rule book.

Official Rules - Rule 84: Overtime - NHL.com - Rules

In overtime, if a team is penalized such that a two-man advantage is called for, then the offending team will remain at three (3) skaters while the non-offending team will be permitted a fifth skater.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah it was right. This is from the rule book.

Official Rules - Rule 84: Overtime - NHL.com - Rules

In overtime, if a team is penalized such that a two-man advantage is called for, then the offending team will remain at three (3) skaters while the non-offending team will be permitted a fifth skater.

Ok it just looked like the refs were not sure what to do. I dont think i have seen that many penalties in OT

blk4x499

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Been this way all season long as well as last season.

Sure he got the GTG tonight, but he was directly responsible for that 4 on 2 break that led to the goal right after the Kings scored. Simply doesn't seem like the same player from the Cup season - not scoring, not hitting, not really making a difference. Looks like a full time overpaid third/fourth liner.

That extension is looking awful already.

I think he has issues with his knee. He should have had surgery on it.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has issues with his knee. He should have had surgery on it.

That may explain this season, but what about last season?

Recall my "players have shelf lives on teams" post from a few weeks back. Long timers - Modano, Taylor, whoever - have their skills diminish, not to mention become bored in the same place for so long. It's just human nature and a change of scenery is sometimes necessary.

Brown has been here since 2003, and the Cup was his shining moment, as it should have been. He was everything he was expected to be that season. While I didn't expect him to look like that every game moving foward, certainly didn't expect him to look like the lost youngster he was in 2003-04 and part of when he came back after the lockout.

My personal belief is he is done in terms of emotional output with the Kings, which directly affects the tangible output (production). There is a whole discipline dedicated to the psychology of sports, and as unreal as this sounds it's a very real and studied topic.

Brown is tapped out and either needs to find something to reenergize himself or be moved.

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's frustrating not being able to watch these games live working nights. And with my line of work it's very difficult to not have the score show up on twitter or facebook.

Having said that though I'm glad LA got the win both in Anaheim and in Jones first NHL start.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck you never really liked Brown. I think you have wanted him gone since he got here.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may explain this season, but what about last season?

Recall my "players have shelf lives on teams" post from a few weeks back. Long timers - Modano, Taylor, whoever - have their skills diminish, not to mention become bored in the same place for so long. It's just human nature and a change of scenery is sometimes necessary.

Brown has been here since 2003, and the Cup was his shining moment, as it should have been. He was everything he was expected to be that season. While I didn't expect him to look like that every game moving foward, certainly didn't expect him to look like the lost youngster he was in 2003-04 and part of when he came back after the lockout.

My personal belief is he is done in terms of emotional output with the Kings, which directly affects the tangible output (production). There is a whole discipline dedicated to the psychology of sports, and as unreal as this sounds it's a very real and studied topic.

Brown is tapped out and either needs to find something to reenergize himself or be moved.

Just spitballing here, maybe he needs a little bit of time off? I think it'd be hard to justify considering he's the captain, but maybe give him a bit of rest from time to time, maybe keep him out of practice - I'm not sure if he practices all the time when the team does have practice, but who knows

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck you never really liked Brown. I think you have wanted him gone since he got here.

Not true at all.

The first time I even entertained the idea of moving Brown was about 3 years ago. He steadily improved his game, his contributions, his development up to that point. The two years prior to him taking off at the Trade Deadline 2012 (when all those rumors were swirling) were really stagnant for him, and that is when I was thinking maybe the Kings should move him.

Then he completely blows up the rest of the of the regular season and the playoffs and that put my thoughts to rest. He completely proved me wrong and I was very happy about that obviously as the Kings brought us fans a Cup. I thought he had finally realized the potential he has an what an impact player he could be.

Then comes last season and he reverted back to the early years of his career, a complete non-factor. Fine, I brushed it off as a shortened season, Cup hangover, whatever you want to call it. It's not like he was the only guy who didn't play well.

This season starts and I honestly don't see any difference between the player from last season and this season. Non factor, doesn't hit to create chances, not doing anything offensively. Add in the contract extension and it's more about looking at the future of the franchise and if this contract will end up haunting them.

One thing I will say: he has 4 kids, and they are all very young. Seemed like he rattled them off faster than I did, although I had two in one year. My point is young kids tire you the hell out - I have two 3 year olds and an 11 month old - and sleep has been awful this year. I didn't think a fourth kid would be this exhausting but believe me, it is.

I don't have a nanny or help like they probably do, after all he is gone a lot during the season, but I'm sure whenever he is home there isn't much resting time.

That too could be affecting him, I have been sick more times this year from what I think the root cause is (lack of sleep = lowered immune system, tired, not mentally sharp) than in the last 5 years combined so I think if possible he should rest up as much as he can but it's going to be a challenge for some time until those kids are older.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spitballing here, maybe he needs a little bit of time off? I think it'd be hard to justify considering he's the captain, but maybe give him a bit of rest from time to time, maybe keep him out of practice - I'm not sure if he practices all the time when the team does have practice, but who knows

It may be something they address internally but if my theory that he is emotionally spent from the time in LA as well as his family situation is true, I think he should definitely pace himself and go full bore only at game time. Right now he is hurting the team more than helping them with his play.

The problem with that is you need a solid base - feeling good physically and mentally, nutrition, exercise - to start from and with screaming kids at home that probably doesn't happen.

It's a Catch 22, you need the rest and balance to be at a good place to take time off but still be effective at game time but you can't get the rest at home so you have no choice but to practice hard and play hard.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be something they address internally but if my theory that he is emotionally spent from the time in LA as well as his family situation is true, I think he should definitely pace himself and go full bore only at game time. Right now he is hurting the team more than helping them with his play.

The problem with that is you need a solid base - feeling good physically and mentally, nutrition, exercise - to start from and with screaming kids at home that probably doesn't happen.

It's a Catch 22, you need the rest and balance to be at a good place to take time off but still be effective at game time but you can't get the rest at home so you have no choice but to practice hard and play hard.

What makes me think that it is mental is that it's not Dustin Brown's been physical at all this season, it'd be one thing if he was and was wearing down, but it has to be mental - I hope he turns it on because the Kings would be so dangerous, having that physical element will really help this team - it's hard for certain players to consistently play that way throughout the season - maybe he's saving some for later in the season when he'll feel like he needs to do it

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A little late to the party here, but happy they won. I was at the game and it wasn't loud if you take away the little bam bam sticks or whatever you call them. It's sad Ducks fans needed that to increase the noise level.

Two Duck fans behind me, one was a decent guy, the other was just a tool. All that ever came out of hi mouth was F the Kings. He had no other comments, when the shootout ended he was so quick to bolt before I could even turn around and stick it to him.

Loved it that Dwight King so of all people scored the GW in the SO! So fitting for the Ducks to lose like that lol