• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers in Cleveland August 5-7

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article above makes me baffled that our announcers and Emily Jones polish the odor turd so much. Maybe they think he’s our only hope. For our sake, he had better not be.

I still think odor is a triple A player at best.
I think the announcers are biased because of who pays them. I believe some folks, like Adam Morris are Odor cheerleaders because they see Odor as an example of JD's decision making since JD signed him to an extension. They are huge JD fans and are somewhat blinded to his mistakes.

Then there are probably some who like his tough guy image and overrate that aspect of his personality.

I actually believe Roogie would have benefited greatly by some extended time in the minors. They should have sent him to Hickory and made him force his way all the way back up the ladder even if it took all year. Not doing that was a huge fail on management's part.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan has discovered what we have been discussing the last few weeks.

Rangers’ inability to compete against top teams is magnified by Rougned Odor, Nomar Mazara

Woodward's point is justified when you look at the stark juxtaposition of the Rangers' performance against the AL's best. Start with wins and losses. Against the teams featuring the top five ERAs in the AL, the Rangers are 16-27, against the bottom five they are 28-14.

Now, look inside those numbers.

Against the bottom five teams, the Rangers are slashing .281/.342/.486/.828 and averaging 5.9 runs per games; against the top five: .230/.296/.414/.710 and scoring 4.8 runs. A significant difference between performance against bad and good pitching is expected, but a difference of more than 100 points on the OPS scale? It suggests two different teams entirely.

And, of course, the difference is magnified with Odor and Mazara, which only suggests the sharpest teams remain a step ahead of them and they are unable to make quick adjustments.

Odor walked in his first plate appearance at Cleveland, then failed to reach in any of the 10 that followed. He struck out four times in seven at-bats Wednesday, and all of them included chases out of the zone. He popped up breaking balls in the zone in the other three. Odor went 1-for-25 against Cleveland for the season, and his slash line against the best pitching teams indicates somebody who would be considered overmatched: .154/.232/.325/.557. His OPS against the bottom five teams is .897.

Mazara was 0-for-7 on Wednesday with three strikeouts. He had three of the Rangers' six at-bats with runners in scoring position during the doubleheader. Against the four teams currently holding AL playoff spots, he's 12-for-83 (.145). He has had success against Oakland to bring his overall batting average against the best five teams to .231, but that's 50 points lower than against the worst teams.

Look like the facts to me. Would think this is now being weighed by club.

Tough decisions ahead with replacement level players holding spots

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the announcers are biased because of who pays them. I believe some folks, like Adam Morris are Odor cheerleaders because they see Odor as an example of JD's decision making since JD signed him to an extension. They are huge JD fans and are somewhat blinded to his mistakes.

Then there are probably some who like his tough guy image and overrate that aspect of his personality.

I actually believe Roogie would have benefited greatly by some extended time in the minors. They should have sent him to Hickory and made him force his way all the way back up the ladder even if it took all year. Not doing that was a huge fail on management's part.

The million dollar question :

Is the Rangers front office so freaking arrogant that they pick up odors team option in a few years when every other team in the league would decline?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look like the facts to me. Would think this is now being weighed by club.

Tough decisions ahead with replacement level players holding spots
We will have to wait and see. Seems Woody sees what needs to be done but has been reluctant to take the first step. Hope it comes quick.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is the Rangers front office so freaking arrogant that they pick up odors team option in a few years when every other team in the league would decline?
Don't borrow trouble. Much to do before that time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't, but I do expect him to remain the starter up until that point.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Scott Lucas:

Baseball America released its "best tools" survey of minor league managers:

Best power: Sam Huff (Carolina and Sally Leagues)
Best reliever: Joe Barlow (Carolina)
Best breaking pitch: Demarcus Evans (Carolina)
Best defensive 2B: Yonny Hernandez (Carolina)
Best defensive 3B: Ryan Dorow (Carolina)
Best defensive SS: Anderson Tejeda (Carolina)
Best infield arm: Anderson Tejeda (Carolina)
Best defensive OF: Leody Taveras (Carolina)
Best manager prospect: Corey Ragsdale (Carolina)

I assume that Rags wasn't the only Carolina League manager to turn in a ballot, but I haven't confirmed it. Five of the seven players listed have already graduated from high-A, and two have a chance to finish their seasons in Arlington.

International League managers voted Kolby Allard's changeup best, and BA placed Taveras on its "All-Glove" team.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Scott Lucas:

I've been asked about Matt Davidson, who's hitting .257/.338/.513 with 26 homers. Back in March, manager Chris Woodward extolled him as "close to an elite guy" and said "I would not be surprised in three or four years if he is one of the top right-handed hitters in the league." Davidson is having a nice season, but based on what I've seen, I think if he were called up he'd be what he was: a low-average, low-OBP slugger. Perhaps better than replacement level as he was in 2018 (1.1 WAR in 123 games), but probably not the answer at one of the corner infield spots.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Phillip's had a good game last night. Scott broke down his AA starts this year.

First 7: 6.68 ERA, .319/.351/.551 opposing line
Last 7: 4.21 ERA, .243/.289/.436

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will have to wait and see. Seems Woody sees what needs to be done but has been reluctant to take the first step. Hope it comes quick.

I’m hoping he has the “new guy” outlook where he doesn’t want to come in, immediately make wholesale changes, and rock the boat.

He needs to be more assertive in fixing this team in the offseason.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m hoping he has the “new guy” outlook where he doesn’t want to come in, immediately make wholesale changes, and rock the boat.

He needs to be more assertive in fixing this team in the offseason.
It is JD's team to fix and Woodward's team to manage.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock Burke pitched his first game for AAA Nashville and did great.

SP Brock Burke: 5 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1.80 ERA

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palumbo, Burke and Allard belong in the rotation next year.

If Hearn ever gets completely well he shouldn't be far behind.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock Burke pitched his first game for AAA Nashville and did great.

SP Brock Burke: 5 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1.80 ERA

Burke could end up being a steal.

Is he originally an Oakland or TB product?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is JD's team to fix and Woodward's team to manage.
You're are absolutely right. But Woody has every right to ask certain moves be made and evaluated if he is expected to manage to his best ability. JD should invite that input.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're are absolutely right. But Woody has every right to ask certain moves be made and evaluated if he is expected to manage to his best ability. JD should invite that input.

I’m still not 100% sure if it’s woodys decision to play Mazara and Odor everyday..... or the front office could be forcing him to play them.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m still not 100% sure if it’s woodys decision to play Mazara and Odor everyday..... or the front office could be forcing him to play them.
They probably have organizational meetings about such things. At the end of the day what JD wants is the way it goes. I think Woody can bench anybody he wants to, but he knows JD still believes in Odor and takes that into consideration. The best way to get fired is to know the GM feels strongly about something and then ignore that.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3