• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers in Anaheim for three 8/26-8/28

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many chances is this odor bum going to get realistically?

He’ll never be a good everyday player.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hesitate to even post this. But this is from several observations from Evan Grant.

Take the case of Rougned Odor, who by almost any valuation, should be sitting on the bench right now if it is purely results the team is chasing. But the Rangers are trying to get Odor to change a lot in his swing and his approach and he is making an honest-to-goodness effort, even if it has not had positive results so far. But because of the buy-in and the effort, Woodward and staff continue to reward him with playing time. The idea being: Buy in, trust the process, stick with the process, it's eventually going to provide results. It won't provide noticeable results this year, but, it will give Odor and the Rangers a baseline to go off next year. At that point, I think it becomes more focused on results. Even "the process" has an expiration date.

Perhaps Odor is not the real problem. Can't blame him if he is penciled in on the line up card. Just saying

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps Odor is not the real problem. Can't blame him if he is penciled in on the line up card. Just saying
Yep. It is the decision makers who should be questioned.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like I said, 'I hesitate to even post this.'

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, 'I hesitate to even post this.'
It was a good post. Seems like a lot of criticism about Odor is not always justified. Putting one's self in his position, wonder how many would say," don't put me in the game tonight because I might strike out". For his contract he can't be held accountable for the horrid mistakes of someone else. Odor is in over his head and no one seems to have the answer at this time. I am no fan of his but to much is being laid on a guy who earns millions of dollars and can't produce his worth at the expense of others who made a bad mistake.

Glad you made the post to give us a serious evaluation of the guy. I tried and hope I am fair.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good post. Seems like a lot of criticism about Odor is not always justified. Putting one's self in his position, wonder how many would say," don't put me in the game tonight because I might strike out". For his contract he can't be held accountable for the horrid mistakes of someone else. Odor is in over his head and no one seems to have the answer at this time. I am no fan of his but to much is being laid on a guy who earns millions of dollars and can't produce his worth at the expense of others who made a bad mistake.

Glad you made the post to give us a serious evaluation of the guy. I tried and hope I am fair.
Plus there are certain posters who will make comments like the guy doesn't even try and do anything different. At one time he was a solid contributor but as things decline you just wonder if a person is trying so hard and it gets to them mentally and messes them up. And he may not have a strong mental makeup but that I really do not know for sure either. We have seen it with some of our relief pitchers in the past.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Back in ST I wrote that I thought Odor would have a good year. I was fooled by ST results though.

I think there is some blame to be placed at Odor's feet and a lot at management's feet.

I do get a kick out of folks thinking players aren't to blame and then griping about a player's performance in individual at bats or about individual pitches for pitchers during games.

I guess different posters carry it too far in both situations according to others.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus there are certain posters who will make comments like the guy doesn't even try and do anything different. At one time he was a solid contributor but as things decline you just wonder if a person is trying so hard and it gets to them mentally and messes them up. And he may not have a strong mental makeup but that I really do not know for sure either. We have seen it with some of our relief pitchers in the past.

I think you’re too generous on our players. You mirror the Rangers front office in a way. Some people will say I’m too harsh, but I damn sure wouldn’t have let odor go out there every night, stink it up, and be the worst statistical player in MLB 3 years running.

I still like JD and I like the moves he’s mad to acquire cheap talent with upside lately, but he really fucked up on odor and he is having a devil of a time moving on from it like probably 90% of the rangers fan base desperately wishes he would do.

As for Odor, I think it’s a combination of pitchers adjusting to odor and odor hearing “what he wanted” from the prior regime. I’d have to assume that most ranger fans thought Banny and his band were a bunch of meatheads. Odor totally bought into the “swing for the fence everytime and if you strike out it’s ok” style that Banny and iapoce wanted.

We probably lead the league in strike outs for the season. You can’t win games when your team is striking out 10+ times a game and they rarely put the ball in play. The home runs are nice, but they’re almost always solos because we don’t have guys who get on base a lot.

Gallo is a similar player to odor, but he offsets the strikeouts by drawing walks, his batting average was much better, and he was much more efficient in general.

I’ve always agreed with the Oakland A’s mindset that “outs are precious”. Let’s focus on putting the ball in play, making the pitcher work, and wearing down the other team with hits. When or if the pitcher gets tired and makes a mistake, crush it. The only thing I disagree with Oakland on is there emphasis on walks. I generally like to see the ball put in play.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you’re too generous on our players. You mirror the Rangers front office in a way. Some people will say I’m too harsh, but I damn sure wouldn’t have let odor go out there every night, stink it up, and be the worst statistical player in MLB 3 years running.

I still like JD and I like the moves he’s mad to acquire cheap talent with upside lately, but he really fucked up on odor and he is having a devil of a time moving on from it like probably 90% of the rangers fan base desperately wishes he would do.

As for Odor, I think it’s a combination of pitchers adjusting to odor and odor hearing “what he wanted” from the prior regime. I’d have to assume that most ranger fans thought Banny and his band were a bunch of meatheads. Odor totally bought into the “swing for the fence everytime and if you strike out it’s ok” style that Banny and iapoce wanted.

We probably lead the league in strike outs for the season. You can’t win games when your team is striking out 10+ times a game and they rarely put the ball in play. The home runs are nice, but they’re almost always solos because we don’t have guys who get on base a lot.

Gallo is a similar player to odor, but he offsets the strikeouts by drawing walks, his batting average was much better, and he was much more efficient in general.

I’ve always agreed with the Oakland A’s mindset that “outs are precious”. Let’s focus on putting the ball in play, making the pitcher work, and wearing down the other team with hits. When or if the pitcher gets tired and makes a mistake, crush it. The only thing I disagree with Oakland on is there emphasis on walks. I generally like to see the ball put in play.
I want our young guys to succeed. But now that we have Solak (which we had no young alternatives at 2b until he arrived on the scene) up here then I am good with Odor being on the outs. You are ready to kick many players to the curb way to fast.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want our young guys to succeed. But now that we have Solak (which we had no young alternatives at 2b until he arrived on the scene) up here then I am good with Odor being on the outs. You are ready to kick many players to the curb way to fast.

I would’ve sat Guzman quicker

I would’ve sat odor quicker

I’m sure there’s a guy or two I would’ve given up on too soon, but my approach would have some advantages.

I haven’t given up on Guzman. He deserves a chance to fight for his spot in spring training next year.

I just want to see more competition and less preferential treatment.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another night for Odor to,work on things batting just behind Solak

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2019 a year of development and auditions. He of course has a longer rope due to the investment but do think there is an end....about a month

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2019 a year of development and auditions. He of course has a longer rope due to the investment but do think there is an end....about a month

It’s hard to take this club at face value on anything. They’re so secretive.

I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if odor has already been guaranteed opening day 2nd baseman next year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have kind of gotten the vibe that they are about done with Roogie as an everyday player. What was said about what Evan said seemed to conflict with that. This quote from Woodward makes what Evan said seem somewhat misinformed. But it gave me a chance to joke about Process Servers though.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New thread is up.