• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers Claim Rios, but still have to work out deal.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he can't. Murphy provides even less value as dh and that still doesn't eliminate the problem of Murphy being in the lineup. Frankly, I want Murphy's ass glued to the bench, but that's not happening.

The only "sense" that can be made if we agree to terms on Rios is that Murphy is gone as part of the deal. Unless JD is looking at a platoon of Murph and Rios and sends Butler or E. Beltre back to AAA RR.

But you don't pay an everyday player "price" for someone you are going to platoon. Rios has played in 109 games this year, which tells me his price tag is for everyday player and not a platoon player. If JD retains Murph (again love the guy) it is as you say. We will see less of Martin, much less of Gentry and E. Beltre and Butler should just go back because Wash is going to play Murph.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're expecting more they're gonna be disappointed.
I think every team that is out of it throws a guy on waivers just to see. The Phillies threw MY out there this year. If they get a nibble they will investigate it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only "sense" that can be made if we agree to terms on Rios is that Murphy is gone as part of the deal. Unless JD is looking at a platoon of Murph and Rios and sends Butler or E. Beltre back to AAA RR.

But you don't pay an everyday player "price" for someone you are going to platoon. Rios has played in 109 games this year, which tells me his price tag is for everyday player and not a platoon player. If JD retains Murph (again love the guy) it is as you say. We will see less of Martin, much less of Gentry and E. Beltre and Butler should just go back because Wash is going to play Murph.

I don't care what happens, Martin better be in the lineup every day. I've backed off my wash rants because he does seem to have positively affected the team, but if Martin is losing playing time to Murphy ill be the first calling for wash's head.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin CF
Andrus SS
Kinsler 2B
Beltre 3B
Cruz RF
Pierzynski C
Rios LF
Moreland 1B
Profar DH

If we get rios and Cruz comes back that lineup all of a sudden looks nice

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way I want him is if he takes Murph spot... otherwise I'm not sure how much he helps anyway. JD might have to send Murph in the trade to make sure that happens. I hate to say all that b/c I love Murph but he has just been really bad this season.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way I want him is if he takes Murph spot... otherwise I'm not sure how much he helps anyway. JD might have to send Murph in the trade to make sure that happens. I hate to say all that b/c I love Murph but he has just been really bad this season.

I like Murphy as a guy a lot, but the fact is it doesn't matter who JD brings in, he'll have to get rid of Murphy to keep him from taking playing time away from Martin, Gentry, and Beltre.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope nobody is getting their hopes up too high on this. I say that, as I know the Rangers were kicking the tires on him before the trade deadline, and, they were supposed to be very far apart on the conpensation then.

Who knows, but I think I would temper my expectations accordingly.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin CF
Andrus SS
Kinsler 2B
Beltre 3B
Cruz RF
Pierzynski C
Rios LF
Moreland 1B
Profar DH

If we get rios and Cruz comes back that lineup all of a sudden looks nice

Rios at 7?!?!?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every team that is out of it throws a guy on waivers just to see. The Phillies threw MY out there this year. If they get a nibble they will investigate it.

Yeah, it might be becoming the new thing to do with the wild card expanding to include 2 teams and more teams feeling like they are still in it at the deadline. I mean it seems like teams could manipulate it so that it works pretty closely to how trading goes before the deadline.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope nobody is getting their hopes up too high on this. I say that, as I know the Rangers were kicking the tires on him before the trade deadline, and, they were supposed to be very far apart on the conpensation then.

Yeah, based on what they were asking before, its pretty tough to see this actually working out but it doesn't hurt to try.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't have my expectations too high and I wouldn't be too upset if we don't get him because while I think he makes the team better, I'm not sure he makes it that much better.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this went through whats the lineup?

Here is my go at it:

1. Martin RF
2. Andrus SS
3. Kinsler 2B
4. Beltre 3B
5. Rios LF
6. AJ C
7. Moreland 1B
8. Profar/Soto/Baker/Berkman/ Manny (just kidding) DH
9. Gentry CF

Or do you move Rios closer to Gentry or the top of the lineup to clump all the speed together?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have my expectations too high and I wouldn't be too upset if we don't get him because while I think he makes the team better, I'm not sure he makes it that much better.

Yeah, thats my thoughts too.

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The way I see it (and Terps et al can counter this with better experience than I) before the 31 July trade deadline it is a sellers market. The seller knows you want a guy and are going to make you pay for them. With the waiver trade the seller is looking to dump salary. Teams in contention usually absorb the contracts (like LAD did for Boston), and offer lesser prospects since they are taking the money on. That is why you see buyers before the July deadline always negotiate how much $$$ the seller is going to assume and higher level prospects traded.