• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams release Wagner

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit Bobby.

I would not mind Seattle signing him to a short term deal for the right price but given how he left I don't think that's gonna happen.

When he retires I’m sure they’ll sign him and he’s gonna retire a Seahawk …

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramsey imo will eventually move to a safety position later in his career, where he will be good there too. His physicality, instincts and intelligence will make him a valuable player.
I effin love Ramsey’s game, he’s legit ..

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit Bobby.

I would not mind Seattle signing him to a short term deal for the right price but given how he left I don't think that's gonna happen.

I wouldn't mind seeing them reunite either, but on a more limited basis and for FAR less money. Seattle simply couldn't afford paying him $20M last year... I think he parted on good terms with Seattle, it's just simple economics. And signing with the Rams was probably just going with the highest bidder (the Rams have been overpaying people the last 3 years.. they've put themselves into oblivion because of it - Rams will be in the shitter for the next 5+ years due to the draft capital and money they've constantly been surrendering).

That said, if Bobby could come back and maybe between him and Barton do a 65/35% snap count split (35% going to Barton) on the cheap, that'd be great.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im am dumber for having had to listen to that.

Dude is wrong on so many levels.

The basis of his theory is that the NFL isnt going to value top flight corners as much at some point…..because teams pass more now. Lol.

Hell one of the reasons that the Ram's could trade Ramsey is because how much the league values CB's right now.

….

The Rams are rumored to be shopping Ramsey for one reason and one reason only. He is the only player of any value on the team that can net them actual draft picks for the start of a rebuild that they can trade where it makes sense cap wise. Full stop. No other reason. If Kupp had Ramsey's contract and Ramsey had Kupp's contract, it would be Kupp that they would be shopping. It has nothing to do with positional value.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im am dumber for having had to listen to that.

Dude is wrong on so many levels.

The basis of his theory is that the NFL isnt going to value top flight corners as much at some point…..because teams pass more now. Lol.

Hell one of the reasons that the Ram's could trade Ramsey is because how much the league values CB's right now.

….

The Rams are rumored to be shopping Ramsey for one reason and one reason only. He is the only player of any value on the team that can net them actual draft picks for the start of a rebuild that they can trade where it makes sense cap wise. Full stop. No other reason. If Kupp had Ramsey's contract and Ramsey had Kupp's contract, it would be Kupp that they would be shopping. It has nothing to do with positional value.
But if they end up keeping it they'll say it was brilliant to NOT trade him

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch every Rams game obviously, but based on what I saw I am not surprised he was cut. He's still a tackling machine and instinctive player, but he looked to be losing a step out there to me. He's not as quick as he used to be and his stats might not tell the whole story.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW said the same thing to Seattle fans, then all of a sudden he’s in Denver. So I guess we’ll see.
Ramsey has a dead cap number of $32.1M this season. No reason to pay $7M over his 2023 salary to trade him. Next year.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramsey has a dead cap number of $32.1M this season. No reason to pay $7M over his 2023 salary to trade him. Next year.

Some of that $32M is guaranteed salary so the trading team would take ownership of that.

If they just trade him normally right now, they would take a dead cap hit of $19.6M instead of the $25.2 he is owed currently. So a little over $5M in savings. I believe that they could designate him as a post June 1st trade (I think, but exactly sure) in the same way teams do with cuts. If they can do that, it would mean they would only take a $8.2M hit this year for him and take another $11.4 dead cap hit next season. So I believe there are ways to do it that would actually be about $17M in cap savings this coming season.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please learn about contracts, the salary cap, and salary cap numbers before you make such statements.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of that $32M is guaranteed salary so the trading team would take ownership of that.

If they just trade him normally right now, they would take a dead cap hit of $19.6M instead of the $25.2 he is owed currently. So a little over $5M in savings. I believe that they could designate him as a post June 1st trade (I think, but exactly sure) in the same way teams do with cuts. If they can do that, it would mean they would only take a $8.2M hit this year for him and take another $11.4 dead cap hit next season. So I believe there are ways to do it that would actually be about $17M in cap savings this coming season.
He's not owed $25.2M. He's due to earn $17M, of which $12.5M is fully guaranteed.

The Rams have previously paid Ramsey $19.6M which they haven't yet accounted for in the salary cap. The Rams are accounting for $8.2M of that $19.6M this season and nothing can change that. If the Rams trade Ramsey before June 1 2023, (as seems likely), the remaining $11.4M will also have to be accounted for this season, rather than over the next 2 seasons. The Rams can't avoid accounting for that $11.4M. It's merely a question of when they account for it. Since some other 2023 cap hits can be delayed until future years it's a case of juggling those impacts to best net effect as suits the team. If the cap is $224.8M in 2023 and $240M in 2024 then moving around a maximum figure of $11.4M within those budgets, (whilst also losing responsibility for Ramsey's $17M salary in 2023), is not a big deal. The big deal is not having Ramsey on the field. It comes down to whether the Rams would prefer to have Ramsey for 1 year at $17M or spend the $17M elsewhere, (not necessarily in 2023), and gaining whatever trade compensation they can get.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing them reunite either, but on a more limited basis and for FAR less money. Seattle simply couldn't afford paying him $20M last year... I think he parted on good terms with Seattle, it's just simple economics. And signing with the Rams was probably just going with the highest bidder (the Rams have been overpaying people the last 3 years.. they've put themselves into oblivion because of it - Rams will be in the shitter for the next 5+ years due to the draft capital and money they've constantly been surrendering).

That said, if Bobby could come back and maybe between him and Barton do a 65/35% snap count split (35% going to Barton) on the cheap, that'd be great.
I believe Barton is a FA so I hope they just let him be some other teams problem. They can find at least 2 guys in the 4th to 7th rds of the draft that can provide anything Barton has to offer. Of Course, old Pete has a hardon for the guy so who knows.
As for Bobby, obviously has lost a step and in the twilight but he still believes he has value and I doubt he signs a bottom dollar deal. He knows he's going into Canton at some point so likely expects a certain level of pay based on that. He also represents himself. Tough sell in Seattle when we need guys that can play sideline to sideline with speed. Wagz has serious smarts and leadership though and could make a contending team better. Good luck to him.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the Bills being aggressive to signing Wagner.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Barton is a FA so I hope they just let him be some other teams problem. They can find at least 2 guys in the 4th to 7th rds of the draft that can provide anything Barton has to offer. Of Course, old Pete has a hardon for the guy so who knows.
As for Bobby, obviously has lost a step and in the twilight but he still believes he has value and I doubt he signs a bottom dollar deal. He knows he's going into Canton at some point so likely expects a certain level of pay based on that. He also represents himself. Tough sell in Seattle when we need guys that can play sideline to sideline with speed. Wagz has serious smarts and leadership though and could make a contending team better. Good luck to him.

Wagner is a warrior... but he was almost a 100% snap count last season, which was RIDICULOUS.

Barton is OKAY at about 35% snap count. There's some positives there. I think if Wagner had about a 65-70% snap count he'd play at a MUCH higher level even at 33. Yes you're going to earn less money at that point, but you're also creating less wear and risk of injury on your body.

I'd be perfectly fine signing Barton/Wagner to a combined $8M per (for both). Wagner/Barton shared percentage of snaps for 65/35% split is worth $8M IMO. Barton at 50 snaps a game is fuckin' ridiculous.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florio is saying Ramsey wants a new contract, of course Florio is the only one saying that. Ramsey himself thinks he is going to be traded.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to lie, losing Jalen Ramsey sucks. He was great for the Rams and no off the field issues.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3