• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams release Wagner

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to read your take as you obviously saw him more than me this past season. While I agree that it looked like the Rams overpaid at the time and will even one up you a little because I didn't think he even looked like an $8M player in 2021, I thought he was fantastic in 2022 and is absolutely worthy of what they would have paid him and more for 2023 (then it gets tricky after that as he ages). I think it is more that they just couldn't afford him than they don't think he is worth the salary. I think whichever team he ends up on in 2023 will get a lot better when he walks through the door.
Looking at Spotrac I believe Wagner missed out on the $2M incentives because the Rams, (surprisingly from a preseason perspective), missed the playoffs. He was a shoo-in for 90% snaps and top 27 defense. He played well this year, especially against the run. However it's a passing league and most MLBs will need lateral speed and coverage ability in the modern game over being an inside banger. ILBs are getting smaller and quicker. Wagner looked a bit slow and he was making tackles for 10 yard gains rather than breaking up plays. He's a player I think PFF massively overrated. The Rams could have kept him but I thought it was an easy cut to make. He's still an NFL starter but I can't justify the contract. I don't see him being claimed or his getting a similar contract. I've been wrong before and I could be again here.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no doubt Wagner should sign up with a team who's pretty much assured they'll be in the playoffs this year and even next. Wagner's getting up there in the years, but he still brings tremendous effort and experience to his game. If the Eagles do let White and Edwards walk, I'm sure they could figure out a way to work in Wagner's salary. Of course there will be other teams in similar situations as well.
Eagles defenders don't like to tackle. I don't think Wagner would fit in there. :whistle:

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at Spotrac I believe Wagner missed out on the $2M incentives because the Rams, (surprisingly from a preseason perspective), missed the playoffs. He was a shoo-in for 90% snaps and top 27 defense. He played well this year, especially against the run. However it's a passing league and most MLBs will need lateral speed and coverage ability in the modern game over being an inside banger. ILBs are getting smaller and quicker. Wagner looked a bit slow and he was making tackles for 10 yard gains rather than breaking up plays. He's a player I think PFF massively overrated. The Rams could have kept him but I thought it was an easy cut to make. He's still an NFL starter but I can't justify the contract. I don't see him being claimed or his getting a similar contract. I've been wrong before and I could be again here.

He looked a bit slower than prime BW but he was still good enough. Our defense was fine even with Donald out. Thought he did a helluva job. Good luck to him

Rams need to try to lock up Gaines unless he’s asking too much.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also looking like the Rams are gonna try and trade Jalen Ramsey

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RW said the same thing to Seattle fans, then all of a sudden he’s in Denver. So I guess we’ll see.
Lol, Wilson was also trying to get his head coach and gm fired.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey now idk what Ramsey is doing behind the scenes. He could be trying to get stupid sexy McVay fired.
Or at least pull a Goff on his girl friend

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
140 tackles 6 sacks 2 int's 10 tackle for losses 5 passes defensed.
2nd team all pro.

This move isnt about Wagner not living up to a contract. Not in the least. He was everything you could have wanted from him last year.

This move is about the Rams already getting the white flag they plan to waive in 2023 all ready to go.
You could be right, but if you are multiple teams should be interested in claiming Wagner off waivers. Alternatively they should be offering Wagner similar terms. I don't see any team offering Wagner $10M+ in 2023. If other teams don't offer that sort of money then the Rams aren't making a mistake.

The Rams are up against it in regards to the salary cap. Spending in 2022 on WR Robinson and Wagner was realistically the last year of their 'push' window. They're not in cap hell but they can't outspend the cap any more so choices are limited. Part of the limitation is because they signed up some of their potential 2023 free agents during 2022. The Rams have 2 DTs they'd like to keep, (Edwards at LG is expendable), but they couldn't retain both of them and Wagner. The DTs will still be cost/value decisions.

The Rams aren't totally out of contention in 2023 but they'll need to be lucky with rookies and bottom of the roster players. It's likely the last season with Stafford and Donald.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing to see here
all part of the plan
Trading Ramsey would obviously be huge. Ramsey is still value at $17M but he's a press cover CB and frustratingly Rams DC Morris plays the softest zone that just about every Rams fan hates with a vengeance. Morris moves Ramsey around in his key position philosophy, (named 'star'), rather than putting Ramsey against a specific opposing WR. Ramsey says he's happy with the Morris scheme but fans don't believe this. Fans hoped Morris would get a HC job, (or failing that he would be fired), and that Staley would come back after the Chargers fired him. #3 CB Kendrick lost the job for not tackling. #2 CB Hill is leaving as is #4/5 CB Long. If Ramsey goes the Rams defense would be a total reset.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Ramsey would obviously be huge. Ramsey is still value at $17M but he's a press cover CB and frustratingly Rams DC Morris plays the softest zone that just about every Rams fan hates with a vengeance. Morris moves Ramsey around in his key position philosophy, (named 'star'), rather than putting Ramsey against a specific opposing WR. Ramsey says he's happy with the Morris scheme but fans don't believe this. Fans hoped Morris would get a HC job, (or failing that he would be fired), and that Staley would come back after the Chargers fired him. #3 CB Kendrick lost the job for not tackling. #2 CB Hill is leaving as is #4/5 CB Long. If Ramsey goes the Rams defense would be a total reset.
In the right scheme Ramsey is still an above average player now but he is not worth the 17 million salary unless you’re way under the cap and have the right man coverage press defense. Will be curious to see where Ramsey is traded if he is traded at all. Ramsey got his ring so he might be open to anybody where he won’t be asked to take a salary cut. My bet is he will be asked to renegotiate his contract as part of any trade. I’m not up on his actual contract terms so that is just a guess.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the right scheme Ramsey is still an above average player now but he is not worth the 17 million salary unless you’re way under the cap and have the right man coverage press defense. Will be curious to see where Ramsey is traded if he is traded at all. Ramsey got his ring so he might be open to anybody where he won’t be asked to take a salary cut. My bet is he will be asked to renegotiate his contract as part of any trade. I’m not up on his actual contract terms so that is just a guess.
Ramsey is due $17M in 2023. $12.5M of his salary is fully guaranteed so there's no chance of his being cut - so there's no way to get him to take a pay cut. He's due $18.5M and $19.5M in the following 2 seasons, which isn't guaranteed. If he was a FA his salary asking price would be higher, so I think he has trade value.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about if they do also end up trading Ramsey?
I was think full fire sale in 24, I was thinking Ramsey, Stafford, Donald and McVay had one more year before jettisoning. But you could probably get more in trade now than in 24. Right now from all I'm hearing 24 is full rebuild mode and 23 is retool year.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 CB Kendrick lost the job for not tackling. #2 CB Hill is leaving as is #4/5 CB Long. If Ramsey goes the Rams defense would be a total reset.
That is why it is vastly important for the Rams to get that Defensive line straight and of course the offensive line. The game is always won in the trenches.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramsey imo will eventually move to a safety position later in his career, where he will be good there too. His physicality, instincts and intelligence will make him a valuable player.