• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams reaping rewards from Griffin trade

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team that lost the RG3 trade was the Browns

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams won the trade in my opinion. A healthy RGIII makes the Redskins a threat. Without a healthy RGIII, the Redskins are cellar dwellers. I think its plain to see how good RGIII is. He's going to be great next season, and the Redskins will have a bright future with him. Problem is, can the organization stop making bad decisions and actually build a team worth a damn around him? RGIII and Alfred Morris carry that team. Fact.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no one is arguing they got a great deal. I'm just saying there isn't any proof of a huge one sided advantage that a few, including yourself are saying. We just went 10-6 and have a franchise QB. The rams are in total disarray, in one of the toughest divisions. The Rams did indeed finish better than us BUT still were under .500. Thats not good.
And who knows if Sam Bradford will still be there in a couple years. He can't stay healthy or go 10-6 and host playoff games.

IF RGIII regains his health and confidence AND if Sam Bradford can gel with his new offensive weapons then it will simply be a deal. (not ideal, but a deal)

:scratch:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WAS may be one year removed from hosting a playoff game, but they are also two months removed from a 3-13 season (in one of the worst divisions in football) that saw their "franchise" QB get benched for the last 3 games of the season. The Rams had to suffer through using a backup QB for most of the season, in a very good division and still did better than WAS. When they get to add two more top 15 picks, it will be pretty obvious to see that they indeed are getting the better end of the deal.

Exactly… :agree:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread doesn't make any sense? We all know the Rams got a bunch of picks, what is your point?
We are just one year removed from hosting a playoff game, while the rams(no offense) are going to be stuck at the bottom of a tough division for a few years. How are they clear cut winners in the deal?

Also your theories don't make sense. You say the 2013 NFL pro-bowl ROY QB is a bust after just two years?
C'mon man, I could clown Russell Wilson for not winning the Superbowl MVP but that would be pure hating.
Which is how this thread is coming across

Far from hating just pointing out the fact that the Rams I feel got the better deal… I don't think Rg3 sucks or anything I just think it was a desperate move putting all your stock in one player giving up 3 first round picks and a 2nd… Right now the Skins could use that top pick in a bad way… And yes the Rams are in a tough division but there not a bad team and if they nail some of these picks there gonna be even better soon…

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The redskins would have been worse without a QB and would still need one badly.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree they would need a qb but who's to say they wouldn't have found a decent one in the last couple years OR maybe found one in this years draft all while keeping there picks and building things up… And I don't think Cousins sucks he looks like he has potential… Gems do exist later in the draft

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Worse than 3-13?

Maybe they are better, maybe not. But you cant get much worse than 3-13. If they had not traded everything to pick him, perhaps they find a QB that wasn't as touted as RG3 but used the picks well to take pressure off of him. Maybe you still need a QB, but at least you're looking for one with other pieces in place rather than be in a rush to find all the other pieces to take pressure off your QB before he breaks.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, worse than 3-13, and worse than a playoff berth last year as well. RG3 will make it blatantly obvious he was worth it in another year or two. Any extended success absolutely requires top of the line QB play, and Griffin has more talent than anyone else in the league.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, worse than 3-13, and worse than a playoff berth last year as well. RG3 will make it blatantly obvious he was worth it in another year or two. Any extended success absolutely requires top of the line QB play, and Griffin has more talent than anyone else in the league.

And to get top of the line QB play, it takes time. Either by building a team around him or by development. And if you're going to build it while he's developing, he better be damn tough. Putting the cart before the horse is dangerous, going all in to do so is crazy.

But there is no way to know that they would have been a worse team this last year. Especially if they got some good young players with those draft picks they gave up and started a QB on two good legs all year.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to get top of the line QB play, it takes time. Either by building a team around him or by development. And if you're going to build it while he's developing, he better be damn tough. Putting the cart before the horse is dangerous, going all in to do so is crazy.

But there is no way to know that they would have been a worse team this last year. Especially if they got some good young players with those draft picks they gave up and had a QB on two good legs.

Who helped mastermind this Mike Ditka? I'll never forget him giving up the farm for Ricky Williams

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But there is no way to know that they would have been a worse team this last year. Especially if they got some good young players with those draft picks they gave up and started a QB on two good legs all year.

I wouldn't trust the Redskins organization to do something that smart.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There will not be a talent close to RG3's level to come out in the next few years. He was not worth passing up.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree you need to build a team around him.....and I am sure that was the plan, but after the trade was made, they got hit with a 36Mil cap hit that they had no idea was coming....don't you think it is reasonable to believe, had they had that money, they could have put more pieces in place around him to make the team better? That to me sounds like a plan they would have had in place when they made the trade.....

Who knows how much better the team would have been if they would have been able to operate the last 2 years on an even playing field salary cap wise....

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will not be a talent close to RG3's level to come out in the next few years. He was not worth passing up.

I think the guy has talent no question... But I thought the Redskins gave up way to much... He had a good 1st year but relied on his legs more than anything... He's gonna have to develop his game as a thrower and not so much a runner... Especially now after his injury... Qb's are a hit and miss and so many don't pan out so I think it's way to risky giving up so much....

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the guy has talent no question... But I thought the Redskins gave up way to much... He had a good 1st year but relied on his legs more than anything... He's gonna have to develop his game as a thrower and not so much a runner... Especially now after his injury... Qb's are a hit and miss and so many don't pan out so I think it's way to risky giving up so much....

relied on his legs his first year huh??? so his arm and head had nothing to do with setting the rookie record for highest passer rating of 102.4? all his legs huh? I would say he can throw the ball accurately, if given the time, and not having to rehab the entire offseason....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worse than 3-13?

Maybe they are better, maybe not. But you cant get much worse than 3-13. If they had not traded everything to pick him, perhaps they find a QB that wasn't as touted as RG3 but used the picks well to take pressure off of him. Maybe you still need a QB, but at least you're looking for one with other pieces in place rather than be in a rush to find all the other pieces to take pressure off your QB before he breaks.

3-13...Idk if they would've been worse. Actually had they started Cousins at the beginning of the season...yea, the guy taking most of the reps during camp, and preseason, there's a good chance they would've been better...RG3 clearly was not ready to play football...

Here's the deal...if RG3 is a one contract player, and only the 1 playoff appearance, unless that playoff run results in a SB win, WAS will have taken a serious bath on this trade. If he's a 10 yr starter and they make some more showings in the playoffs, I think WAS would've done well regardless of what happens in STL.

The main point is...now is not the time to determine whether the trade was a good one or not.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WAS swapped the 6th spot for the 1st spot and for that privilege they gave up 2 more 1st rounders (2013/2014) and a 2nd rounder (2012). The price was steep...I don't think anyone would say otherwise.

I think this has blown up largely because WAS had a poor season and the pick is very high...If STL was picking in the 20s as they did with WAS's pick LY I'm not sure if this is looked at in the same light.

The Redskins knew they were going to be on the short end of the draft, and probably were planning to add via FA for a yr or so....the bad is they don't have the 2nd pick in this draft...the good is they will have paid STL in full after this draft...i.e. it's done.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 and the Redskins had a successful rookie season because NFL defenses did not have a full offseason to understand the "read option" AND the Redskins got an insanely easy schedule down the stretch.

Seattle was the only team with a pulse RG3 played in that 8 game stretch and lost.
Andy Reid quitting Eagles twice, Browns, Giants amidst 3-12 stretch of 15 games, Cowboys in December whom everyone beats....... other than a flukish Kirk Cousins led comeback over the Ravens....it was a series of patsies.

It contributed to overblown Egos with both the quarterback and coaching staff.
Winning is great, but you have to make sure that the wins are quality wins to build upon rather than just a bunch of other teams mailing it in.

That stretch unfortunately convinced Shanahan that he was Vince Lombardi and RG3 was Joe Montana.
The humbling of 2013 will have a positive effect.
The Redskins needed that dose of reality.

I think he will bounce back a bit in 2014 and the Skins will be a better team overall than 2012 even if the record is not as good.