• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Warner, Jared Goff and the art of a Stan Kroenke humblebrag

ITS COMING BACK BABY

The Los Angeles Rams are beginning a new chapter in their history when the 2016 NFL season kicks off and they'll have a new face of the franchise, rookie quarterback Jared Goff, taking over under center.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke is very pleased by this development, mostly because he sees a lot of Kurt Warner in Goff. And if anyone knows quarterbacks, it's Stan Kroenke?

Sure, why not.

The winners and the wealthy get the advantage of writing history and Kroenke, a very rich human being, basically claimed in a lengthy interview with USA Today he's the one who found Warner.

Kroenke claims “Dick Vermeil asked me my opinion on who the third quarterback should be” back in the summer of 1998, when the Rams were just starting to get The Greatest Show on Turf rolling.

He spied Warner and just ... knew.

“I had a great relationship with Dick,” Kroenke said. “Dick loved Will Furrer, the type of guy we'd all want to marry our daughter. He worked his tail off. Came out of Virginia Tech. I liked Will.

"Nobody knew anything about Kurt, but I watched the scrimmage, and this is the similarity with Goff: I told Dick, ‘OK, I've never played football, but you want my opinion? The kid from Northern Iowa can see. He's got vision. It's like a really good point guard. Some guys have it, some guys don't. Whether it's Arena Football that gave it to him or whatever, but he can see.'

“And Jared has that. It's the vision thing.”

Well, hopefully Goff can A) see and B) is a little bit further along than Warner was when he showed up from a grocery store to join the Rams.

Could Goff be the next Warner? Stan Kroenke (not pictured) thinks so! (USATSI)
Warner's story is one of the best NFL longshots in the history of the league, a guy who basically gave up on the dream of playing in the NFL, then was given one more shot and parlaying it into a Super Bowl MVP and one of the greatest offensive seasons in NFL history.

But back to the point for a second.

Kroenke is using Goff -- a quarterback he likes very much -- in order to tell everyone he's responsible for the miracle that was Warner.

Maybe Vermeil can confirm this? Who knows.

The important thing is making sure Goff can actually meet the lofty expectations. If he's half as good as Warner was during his run in St. Louis, the Rams will be plenty happy with their top selection.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get something for him!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am watching NFL Network's "A Football Life". Today's menu: Dick Vermeil when he went to the Eagles as the HC. Man he was a tough guy and he took a crappy-ass team and took them to the superbowl. The very same thing he did for the Rams. Super great memories man!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They showed highlights of THE Rams Superbowl and it brought tears to my eyes to see what Dick Vermeil had accomplished with the Rams with a completely dumbass, moronic ownership and FO. I had waited 40 years for that superbowl win and I remember yelling so loud, the people upstairs in my apartment complex thought I had flipped. Man, I would love to see that level of dominance again!!

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stan Kreonke pleased with the development of Goff? :pound: I'll bet he doesn't even know what a 1st down is! The only thing that he knows about development is constructing a Walmart parking lot! :L

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expectations will be high as Los Angeles Rams rookie Jared Goff makes transition to NFL
750x422.jpg
Rams quarterback Jared Goff is seen during the Rams rookie minicamp in Oxnard, Calif. on May 6.

Before he moves forward as Rams quarterback, Jared Goff needs to move backward. Again and again.

The No. 1 pick in last month's NFL draft is making the transition from a spread to a pro-style offense, taking snaps from under center for the first time since his freshman year in high school. It's a fairly common transformation these days — fellow first-round pick Paxton Lynch faces a similar learning curve with the Denver Broncos — but it's more complicated than meets the eye.

"Passing the football is rhythm and timing," Rams quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke said during a rookie mini-camp last week. "When I'm under center, that rhythm and timing is different than when I'm in the [shot]gun. If I haven't done it since I was 14 years old, and now I come to this level with the speed of the game, there's a transition."

"We felt like this kid has the mental capacity to pick it up, the physical ability to be able to make the transition, and we saw it today. We had a walk-through earlier, and from that walk-through to the second walk-through he got better. So there's growth on Day 1, and that's what we truly believed in when we drafted the guy."

The Rams say they won't play Goff until he's absolutely ready to step into the job and that they've got a sturdy bridge player in quarterback Case Keenum, who has won NFL games. But the reality is, the days of sitting a high-drafted rookie the way the Philadelphia Eagles did with Donovan McNabb, the San Diego Chargers did with Philip Rivers or the Green Bay Packers did with Aaron Rodgers are distant memories.

The expectation is a first-round rookie steps in and plays right away, especially one that cost so much in terms of draft picks, the Rams making an unprecedented trade up from No. 15.

Goff is not alone in that category. Carson Wentz, the No. 2 pick, is shouldering the same expectations in Philadelphia, as is Lynch in Denver. Second-round pick Christian Hackenberg is in the spotlight with the New York Jets, even as the expectations are that the club will eventually work through its contractual impasse with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

It used to be that young quarterbacks sat, sometimes for years, and learned at the elbow of reliable veterans. A seismic shift happened in 2008, when the Atlanta Falcons took Matt Ryan with the third pick, the Baltimore Ravens took Joe Flacco with the 18th and both quarterbacks not only started their entire rookie seasons but also reached the playoffs. No rookie quarterback had done that before. (Peyton Manning was the Day 1 starter for the Indianapolis Colts a decade earlier, for instance, but the Colts went 3-13 during his rookie season.)

Since Ryan and Flacco entered the league, at least one rookie quarterback has started his team's opener, among them the Detroit Lions' Matthew Stafford, the Colts' Andrew Luck, the Oakland Raiders' Derek Carr and last year's Nos. 1 and 2 picks, Jameis Winston of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Marcus Mariota of the Tennessee Titans.

Rams General Manager Les Snead was a scout in Atlanta when the Falcons drafted Ryan and said the team started him only because he was ready to go, not because of external pressure to do so.

However, Snead said the league could be in a "swing cycle" back to the time when it was OK to sit a rookie quarterback for a while because of what he sees as a widening gap in styles between NFL and college offenses.

"It's still relatively simple to go and pick out, 'That guy has the traits to play in the NFL and be successful,' " Snead said. "What's getting harder is, how long is it going to take that guy — whether he's a wide receiver, an offensive lineman, or a quarterback — to be ready? You've got to learn to take a snap for the first time, even if that seems odd. Learn to call a protection, learn multiple cadences. We all know that while you're learning something, you're a little slower. So the key is, don't put the guy out while he's still a little slower while he's learning it."

Former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner, who led the St. Louis Rams to a Super Bowl victory, said the act of dropping back to pass is more complex than most people realize. A quarterback's drop meshes with the route timing of his receivers, so a passer will know by his own feet where his receivers are at any given point.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another potential toy for Goff signed last night....D'haquille "Duke" Williams (Auburn). Was Kiper's #1 WR in the class in 2014, but his stock dropped as he injured his MCL late in 2014 then was kicked off the team for multiple infractions early this season (mostly team rules violations other than 1 bar fight, but he was not named in the police report). 1st round talent, 5 cent head. If he can get on the straight and narrow, he could be a steal. Apparently the Rams were quick to him in the UDFA process.

AXA20150919304LSU_at_Auburn.jpg

Report: Los Angeles Rams Sign WR Duke Williams

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another potential toy for Goff signed last night....D'haquille "Duke" Williams (Auburn). Was Kiper's #1 WR in the class in 2014, but his stock dropped as he injured his MCL late in 2014 then was kicked off the team for multiple infractions early this season (mostly team rules violations other than 1 bar fight, but he was not named in the police report). 1st round talent, 5 cent head. If he can get on the straight and narrow, he could be a steal. Apparently the Rams were quick to him in the UDFA process.

View attachment 116742

Report: Los Angeles Rams Sign WR Duke Williams

This could be good. I worry about these young/braindead fellas in LA though.

I knew a few girls that had $500 asses, but a .05cent head. Good times. :thumb:

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hek is hilarious, he had to set Goff straight that he was punting not him.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hek is hilarious, he had to set Goff straight that he was punting not him.
I just hope Goff can set Hekker straight, from his performance, that he is the best QB on the roster, not Johnny! :suds: