• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams closing in on deal with Bobby Wagner.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, this surprises me .. I thought the Rams were cash strapped, also Bobby is getting up there, BUT he’s still productive… He’s a physical beast..

According to Spotrac, before this deal (not included yet) they have $8.8M in cap space, plus likely AD and Kupp extensions/restructures to follow.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was largely signing bonus in year 1, then non-guaranteed money in years 4 and 5 (if not 3 as well).

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care for Rams very much but they are all in for another championship, and I sure don't fault the thought behind that.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Spotrac, before this deal (not included yet) they have $8.8M in cap space, plus likely AD and Kupp extensions/restructures to follow.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was largely signing bonus in year 1, then non-guaranteed money in years 4 and 5 (if not 3 as well).

Good point … If the Rams worked that out so the later years aren’t guaranteed it’s a dam good move… If he declines in a couple years it won’t hurt you guys to cut ties .. But for now, Wag still has it, Rams upgraded at middle LB for sure …

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oooooo Oh Snap GIF

A lot of people think that it went into my decision, being able to play the Seahawks. I don’t have that much hate in my heart,” Wagner said, via The Associated Press’ Greg Beacham.
“I really wanted to be happy, and I wanted to be close to home and stay on the West Coast. That was important to me. But playing the Seahawks twice a year is the cherry on top. I’ll make sure they see me every time we play. They’ll know where I’m at, and I’ll make sure I’ll tell them. It won’t be a quiet game for me."

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have to ask… Seattle doesn’t communicate with this future HOF, cuts him and let’s him go basically to a division rival..

I have to think they could have traded him for a 5th? 6th? To someone outside their own division?

Explain this Seattle fans. Please. BW seems like a really good dude.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I have to ask… Seattle doesn’t communicate with this future HOF, cuts him and let’s him go basically to a division rival..

I have to think they could have traded him for a 5th? 6th? To someone outside their own division?

Explain this Seattle fans. Please. BW seems like a really good dude.
Wagner wasn't willing to take a paycut, and the $20 million in salary coming due next year would have been transferred during a trade (a single roster bonus payout, not guaranteed salary bonus that would have been spread out over years). No team would trade for him with that cap number.

The not informing BW before the trade was all on Seahawk management though. They should have shown a little class and contacted him before the cut. They claim it was an error but it wasn't the first time this type of "error" has happened.

As for "letting him go to a division rival", well it was out of their hands at that point. BW is from LA and had previously indicated he would like to play there, so I assumed he would end up on the Rams or the Chargers well before he signed. So no real surprise there.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wagner wasn't willing to take a paycut, and the $20 million in salary coming due next year would have been transferred during a trade (a single roster bonus payout, not guaranteed salary bonus that would have been spread out over years). No team would trade for him with that cap number.

The not informing BW before the trade was all on Seahawk management though. They should have shown a little class and contacted him before the cut. They claim it was an error but it wasn't the first time this type of "error" has happened.

As for "letting him go to a division rival", well it was out of their hands at that point. BW is from LA and had previously indicated he would like to play there, so I assumed he would end up on the Rams or the Chargers well before he signed. So no real surprise there.
Makes sense and I figured that. I didn’t know he wasn’t willing to take a pay cut but then again I wouldn’t want to either and be on a bad team or at least a team rebuilding.

Pissing matches can happen in sports

I like that he’s a little chippy about it it’ll be interesting when we play Seattle

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract has an out after 3 years with $2M in dead money at that time. So, it's basically 3 years, $28.5M with a 2022 cap hit of only $2.5M.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract has an out after 3 years with $2M in dead money at that time. So, it's basically 3 years, $28.5M with a 2022 cap hit of only $2.5M.

And around 6 mm towards the cap in 2022?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And around 6 mm towards the cap in 2022?

$7.16M cap space left per Spotrac (Wagner's $2.5M offset by pushing a $825K contract out of the top 51). The Rams are projected to need about $2.025M to cover their draft picks (top 51), so they have about $5M to work with in FA (with AD and Kupp extensions/restructures yet to come).

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really got to wonder how incompetent Schnieder's and Carroll's working relationship is right now after reading that they didnt bother to tell Wagner that they were going to move on without him. One of the other or both must have just decided to phone in this offseason after trading Wilson.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's $10M for the 1st year, (if the Rams want out), and it's $10M for the 2nd year. Much of the cap cost is delayed. It's a little higher than i'd want to be paying. He's still a good player but I don't think he's worth $10M per year at this point. The divisional comparison is the Seahawks are paying $17M for 2 years of blocking TE Will Dissly and $4M for a year of C/G Austin Blythe.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably bump the grade to an A+... Bobby's hit this year is $2.5M, hardly anything.

If the Rams need to release him next year they can do it post 6/1 and only incur $4M of dead cap which $1M is incurred 2023. So the contract itself basically has ZERO risk... and for that I'd give it a high grade.

I don't think he's quite worth $10-12M once he turns 33 but the Rams can release him after this year for basically no major cost hit.

Really too bad Seattle didn't want to retain him, but Wagner may be trying to fetch a ring and while I don't think Seattle will be BAD, I don't see them winning a Super Bowl with the QB situation unless they luck out with another Wilson.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knees can be fixed. Hands can't be taught.
Knees can be fixed but not very reliable after the 2nd fix. He should "try" to come back and fail - then collect the career-ending insurance.
Note that if they try and it doesn't work, he may need knee replacement surgery to walk in the park.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they tried to trade him but teams these days are very smart they know the Seahawks werent going to be able trade him without him taking a pay cut and that they would eventually force their hand and release him. This is exactly what teams are doing with the browns and baker mayfield knowing they arent going into the season with both him and watson on the roster and that they would most likely have to release him.

Apparently Baltimore offered him a little more money but like someone said earlier he is from the LA area and he most likely still lives on the west coast from playing in seattle so it would all makes sense. Personally I think it was wrong if true that they didnt communicate the situation with him but things are the way things are and I dont blame Bobby at all for taking the opportunity that was in front of him.