• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Acquire #1 Pick

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I freakin knew it!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is horrible.

It makes no sense. Both of the QB's have huge question marks whether they can even succeed in the NFL on a good team, let alone on a team with a young Oline and 1 decent WR.

And you just traded away basically all your draft capital to get this young QB any help.

Do they not remember what happened when the Saints did basically the same thing for Ricky Williams?

After ending last night on such a high with Kobe's epic last game, this sure is a huge letdown.

Ikr! Usually when you give up the farm to move up you know who the team is going to pick.... we really have no clue. It's insane. One of the QB's would have almost certainly fell to six. Then you could've traded up with the ravens and probably just gave away two second round picks vs the next 2 years ugh.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this, the more I just don't get it...We traded up to #1 in a draft with no true #1 overall player. Makes no sense...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLUS, we could've had 4 of the top 76 players in this draft and God knows we need all the talent we can get. Now, we get one guy who isn't even a consensus top overall rated player and how do we fill the other holes with no picks and little cap room?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is horrible.

It makes no sense. Both of the QB's have huge question marks whether they can even succeed in the NFL on a good team, let alone on a team with a young Oline and 1 decent WR.

And you just traded away basically all your draft capital to get this young QB any help.

Do they not remember what happened when the Saints did basically the same thing for Ricky Williams?

After ending last night on such a high with Kobe's epic last game, this sure is a huge letdown.

Or what the Redskins did to acquire the #2 pick from us to get RGIII.

Those were picks that we could've used to improve other areas of our team. If we were just one QB away from being a serious contender, I'd at least somewhat get it. If there was a can't miss QB prospect like Peyton Manning, I'd get it. This, I don't get because there's still quite a few needs this team needs to address to become a serious Super Bowl contender.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THU APR. 14, 2016
The Play for No. 1: Inside the Titans-Rams Trade
A major move at the top of the draft, as the Titans trade the No. 1 pick to the Rams, who are surely lined up to take a potential franchise quarterback for their first season back in Los Angeles

by Peter King
rams-titans-carson-wentz-les-snead-jared-goff.jpgan astonishing eight trades in the top 50 picks of the previous four drafts.

Talks heated up during the day Wednesday, when the Rams sent the final proposal, and when Robinson and Snead agreed on the terms of one of the biggest draft trades in NFL history: The Rams get the first pick overall in the April 28 draft, plus Tennessee’s fourth- and sixth-round picks. The Titans get the Rams’ top four picks this year (a first, two seconds and a third), plus Los Angeles’s first- and third-round picks in 2017.

The other day, one prominent GM in the league told me why he thought the Rams would move way up to pick a quarterback. He said they can’t compete in the NFC West (with Russell Wilson and Carson Palmer in place in Seattle and Arizona, respectively) without getting a quarterback. This was the text-message from this GM Thursday morning, upon hearing of the deal:

“Just like we said … Bravo, Rams.”

The upshot of the trade that radically remade the 2016 NFL draft.

• The Titans own the next two drafts. Tennessee now has six picks in the top 76 of the 2016 draft—numbers 15, 33, 43, 45, 64 and 76. With many evaluators saying the meat of this draft is between 20 and 70, Tennessee, depending on its board, could draft six players this year whom Robinson would consider starting-caliber. And the Titans set themselves up nicely for 2017—they’re the only team right now with two picks in the first round next year.

• The Rams will take a quarterback No. 1. I can tell you a final decision has not been made as to which quarterback that will be. But they obviously felt that either Carson Wentz of North Dakota State or Jared Goff of Cal was capable of being the franchise quarterback the Rams have lacked during the Jeff Fisher era. The Rams did the precise opposite of what they did in in 2012, when they traded down four spots, allowing Washington to pick Robert Griffin III number two overall and capturing four high picks in return. The Rams moved up 14 spots his year to get a quarterback.

• To a much lesser degree, the two players who’d been in play at No. 1 for Tennessee, Tunsil and cornerback Jalen Ramsey of Florida State, now muck up the very top of the draft. One or both of them could be in play beyond the top two picks—and before this trade, no one could have said that.

mmqb-robinson-jon-pk.jpg
Photo: Peter King/The MMQB
Titans GM Jon Robinson.
It’s clear why Tennessee made this trade. Very clear, in fact. Robinson saw a team that needs help on the offensive line, in the secondary and on the pass-rush, and that needs a versatile playmaking linebacker … and he thought that subtracting one single player, a franchise tackle or corner, was worth the value of getting six choices in the first three rounds of the next two drafts. Who can blame him? Smart move for Robinson and the Titans.

• QUARTERBACK CAMP WITH CARSON WENTZ: Emily Kaplan went behind the scenes for the ND State passer’s session with Jon Gruden

But the Rams, the youngest team in football over the last four seasons and a team with many defensive pieces in place, knew they’d never catch quarterback-rich Seattle or Arizona in the NFC West with Case Keenum, Nick Foles or Sean Mannion atop their quarterback depth chart. In some ways, the price was the price. It’s ridiculously exorbitant, to be sure, but without a quarterback the Rams would face another season of fighting for third in a stacked division and putting off the inevitable search for a passer.

• INSIDE THE FILM ROOM WITH JARED GOFF: Andy Benoit breaks down tape with the Cal QB

This is a league with a greater emphasis on quarterback than ever. Teams threw the ball more often last year, and for more yardage, than in any previous season in the NFL’s 96-year history. That’s why I don’t think it was especially hard for Snead and Fisher and COO Kevin Demoff to pull the trigger on this deal. Brock Osweiler, with seven career starts and a lot of question marks, just got $18 million a year in Houston. That shows how desperate teams are to get fixed at quarterback. This trade shows that the Rams believe they’re a quarterback away—and when you watch their swarming defense some Sundays, it’s hard to argue with that logic.

Why now? Why not wait to try to get a better deal and give away less value to Tennessee? I think it’s because the Rams wanted two full weeks to investigate Goff and Wentz—to find out everything they can about each guy, on and off the field. The Rams are on the clock, and they two weeks of investigative time to spare.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, at this point, can someone please explain why we wasted a pick on Mannion last year? He's obviously NEVER going to play, so that's yet another pick we threw away.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, at this point, can someone please explain why we wasted a pick on Mannion last year? He's obviously NEVER going to play, so that's yet another pick we threw away.

If I can think of a convoluted enough answer to give you, I'll let you know.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am speechless at the moment. I may try again later.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about this, the more I just don't get it...We traded up to #1 in a draft with no true #1 overall player. Makes no sense...

Exactly. I mean the only way this can possibly work for the Rams if they get totally lucky and guy ends up being a total stud which is a very long shot. Even then you'll never know who you passed up on with all the other picks.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snead has shown to be a master at trades, which makes this trade so shocking.

why give up so much? when you consider the (2) 2nds could be traded to get back into the end of the first round, they basically are giving up (3) 1st and (2) 3rds for the #1 overall and a 4th and 6th.

in a draft that doesn't have a clear #1 prospect ( ala Luck or Manning ), why give up that much?

this team has no room to improve now. they still have holes at WR and TE ( weapons your supposed franchise QB will need ) and no way to fill those holes. so, how is said QB supposed to succeed?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

exactly

gave up on him before they even let him play.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I mean the only way this can possibly work for the Rams if they get totally lucky and guy ends up being a total stud which is a very long shot. Even then you'll never know who you passed up on with all the other picks.

This is the exact kind of draft where it will be getting lucky since there are no real clear cut top players...It's mind boggling...

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snead has shown to be a master at trades, which makes this trade so shocking.

why give up so much? when you consider the (2) 2nds could be traded to get back into the end of the first round, they basically are giving up (3) 1st and (2) 3rds for the #1 overall and a 4th and 6th.

in a draft that doesn't have a clear #1 prospect ( ala Luck or Manning ), why give up that much?

this team has no room to improve now. they still have holes at WR and TE ( weapons your supposed franchise QB will need ) and no way to fill those holes. so, how is said QB supposed to succeed?

The only possible explanation is you know at best you're going to be 7-9 with Keenum. So I guess they just said fuk it we have to take a chance. That's the only thing I can think of. They would've been better off picking a starter at 15 and trading back up into the first round to get Paxton Lynch. Wth?