• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams 9, Seahags 27-Ninth loss of the Season and the Finale

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This day started out auspicious enough with Clemens throwing a pick-six with a pass that went through the hands of Kendricks who was mere yards away. The Special Teams had penalties that just would not stop all day. The hopes of getting to .500 as Laurinaitus had wanted went slowly downhill from there as the true state of our offense was exposed by a pretty good Seattle defense. Clemens went on to throw another pick, we gave up two sacks, our offense never got on track of which at one point in the third we had 38 plays for 98 yards, our running game stalled, and we watched the defense play the majority of the minutes of the game like we have so many times before this contest.

Then in the third quarter, all of the frustration, trash-talking, and refs singling us out over the year of another losing season boiled over to one of the craziest quarters to date. Fisher stood dumbfounded as players began getting ejected and trash-talking from both sides continued. Langford got ejected for basically being too demonstrative and bumping a ref with his outstretched arms unbeknownst to Langford. Then the refs missed calls on the Seahags and the wheels officially came off.

The statistics are not important at this juncture at all levels of the game. Everyone saw yet again just how bad our offense is and if Fisher and Snead do nothing in the draft and FA to change this offense, we will be right back here a year from now stating the same things we stated last year-hoping for things to be better with better picks in the draft. We have to start with our O-line and add some WRs and vets who can show our young team the way on so many fronts.

For the record, we have made some small progress. Our defense was stellar again this year with a second consecutive season with 50+ sacks and Robert Quinn set a sack record with 19 for the year. Quinn is simply a defensive freakazoid. He and Hekker made the Pro Bowl. We officially finished 7-9 and by virtual of Washington's won-loss record, secured the second overall pick. Our defense finished mid pack in many of the categories and we finished 7th in the league in run defense which is a big change from last year when we were near the bottom in that category. Our offense began to to do some things right for a while but today reverted back to their old habits. They finished near the bottom in many categories and Stacy did not get his 1000 yard season.

Well, Gents. This year was enjoyable for me overall. Getting to talk Rams football with all of you is always fun and we have added a few new faces. Hopefully that will continue. I'll be around as a mod over the next couple of months as we prepare for the draft and I am going to slide over to the Lakers and Flyers boards for the rest of their seasons.

The highlight of the season for me was getting to meet Vita and his friends at the Rams game here in Phoenix. If you ever get a chance to hang with Vita and friends at a game, you won't be disappointed whatsoever. Great people!! Enjoy the rest of the Holidays and I shall be around!

Last edited by a moderator:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game taught me one thing and one thing only... The offense HAS to get addressed in the offseason.

Of course, this should come as a surprise to no one, but the O has been the anchor around this team's neck the last 3 years. I'd love to get a playmaker like Sammy Watkins, or Mike Evans... but I don't know that either is completely worth a first round selection. Maybe they are. Others will know better than me.

To me, though... this game showed that the offensive line is where to start off. All it took was Jake Long to go down, a little shuffling up front, and BAM!... Zac Stacy rushes for a career low, 15 yards (On 15 carries. That's 1 yard per carry, for those who don't feel like doing the math) and Seattle looks like they have a team full of Robert Quinns coming at Kellen Clemens all day.

It starts up front, people. Whether it's through free agency, the draft, or whatever... this line MUST be addressed, if we're going to have a shot at any semblance of success in 2014.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad you stated that Caynine because I have been saying this since our last O-line that went to the bowl was dismantled and we have whiffed on so many blue chip players. I have read many posts here indicating that we really don't need O-lineman in the first when Barksdale or whomever is playing so well.

The answer unequivocally is yes we do need to take a Matthews or Kouandijo and a guard because as you correctly stated, it begins up front. Without a studly stellar line on both sides of the ball, the total game product on the field is completely reduced. I hope Fisher gets that through his head and rescinds his usual practice of not taking an O-lineman in the first. WE NEED THE UPGRADE a Matthews or Kouandijo provide.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game taught me one thing and one thing only... The offense HAS to get addressed in the offseason.

Of course, this should come as a surprise to no one, but the O has been the anchor around this team's neck the last 3 years. I'd love to get a playmaker like Sammy Watkins, or Mike Evans... but I don't know that either is completely worth a first round selection. Maybe they are. Others will know better than me.

To me, though... this game showed that the offensive line is where to start off. All it took was Jake Long to go down, a little shuffling up front, and BAM!... Zac Stacy rushes for a career low, 15 yards (On 15 carries. That's 1 yard per carry, for those who don't feel like doing the math) and Seattle looks like they have a team full of Robert Quinns coming at Kellen Clemens all day.

It starts up front, people. Whether it's through free agency, the draft, or whatever... this line MUST be addressed, if we're going to have a shot at any semblance of success in 2014.

IMHO the Oline is blown out of perportion. We had 7 different Oline configurations this year, thats crazy! I think Dahl is done. Wells probably has one more good season left in him. J Long should be back at the beginning of next season. Barnes is a serviceable player @ C and Jones should be ready to go at Guard next year. Biggest question mark is Saffold. Will he be back? and will he want to play RG/LG over tackle? He'll most certainly get some attention in the FA due to his versatility. Not to mention when we had the our starters in we played pretty damn good on the line.

Long/Jones/Barnes-wells/Saffold/Barksdale
Thats a really good line if you ask me. Sure we'll pick up a FA and draft some needed talent at guard and tackle but it wont be until later rounds.

It's frustrating how fans are so short sighted. Our last 5-6 weeks we were #1 or #2 in Rushing. Our best Olineman goes down and we have trouble against a good defense and everyone freaks out. It's not the end of the world, it's our back -ups being outmatched. Not to mention we kicked the snot out of their Defense the first time when our Oline was at full strength.

Other teams do more than with less. We have to learn to do the same.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well jacobarch. That is the point. You want to get past the mentality of always having to do more with less especially in light of the notion that we created this mess and this axiom by whiffing on so many good players in the last two decades or so. The Rams have been propagating that mentality since they left LA and I for one have grown tired of it when we can have the alternative that is within our grasp. You want the best guys on the front lines on both sides of the ball.

Do you agree that one of the reasons we have such a good defense is because we totally upgraded the D-line over recent years with our Elite Eight who are top of the line players that we selected except for Langford and Hayes whom we obtained through FA?

I agree that since they have found a very good niche for Saffold at guard, it would be in our best interest to re-sign him and then add to the line a blue-chipper such as Matthews or Kouandijo in the same way we built the Elite Eight. Do you agree with that assertion?

I also agree we have some pretty decent O-lineman already but just as the Seahawks and the Niners have proven, you can never have enough really elite players.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's frustrating how fans are so short sighted. Our last 5-6 weeks we were #1 or #2 in Rushing. Our best Olineman goes down and we have trouble against a good defense and everyone freaks out. It's not the end of the world, it's our back -ups being outmatched. Not to mention we kicked the snot out of their Defense the first time when our Oline was at full strength.

No one is "freaking out", at this point. I'm not saying anything like Matthews MUST BE the pick at #2 overall. I'm just saying that with the two first rounders at our disposal, it might be a good time to address the line early. The line that Zac Stacy has been running behind the last month or so, has been good. But, one guy going down (granted he was arguably our best lineman) shouldn't devastate the offense the way it did. Obviously, we can't "do less with the same".

I like Jake Long (even though it's not guaranteed he'll be back, or even full-strength come week 1) I like Rodger Saffold (at guard). Tim Barnes has played pretty decently at center, so far. No real complaints. Joe Barksdale has been servicable at RT. As far as "reliable" linemen go... that's it. 4 out of 5. We know little to nothing about Barrett Jones, just yet and we have zero depth to speak of. Which is why you get the result we got yesterday. Good teams don't "shuffle" linemen due to injury... they bring in that lineman's backup.

A great offensive line can do wonders for the rest of the offense. Hell, we just fielded a "good" one for a few weeks and Zac Stacy responded beautifully. All I'm saying is, it's something we may want to consider, moving forward. I'm all for any pick as long as it will help this offense. Up front is always a good place to start.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well jacobarch. That is the point. You want to get past the mentality of always having to do more with less especially in light of the notion that we created this mess and this axiom by whiffing on so many good players in the last two decades or so. The Rams have been propagating that mentality since they left LA and I for one have grown tired of it when we can have the alternative that is within our grasp. You want the best guys on the front lines on both sides of the ball.

Do you agree that one of the reasons we have such a good defense is because we totally upgraded the D-line over recent years with our Elite Eight who are top of the line players that we selected except for Langford and Hayes whom we obtained through FA?

I agree that since they have found a very good niche for Saffold at guard, it would be in our best interest to re-sign him and then add to the line a blue-chipper such as Matthews or Kouandijo in the same way we built the Elite Eight. Do you agree with that assertion?

I also agree we have some pretty decent O-lineman already but just as the Seahawks and the Niners have proven, you can never have enough really elite players.

I agree we have a good defense line because we have drafted well and brought guys in and developed them. They've also stayed healthy which is something our Oline hasn't been able to do. Wells, Dahl, Saffold, and Long are all guys that will make any Oline better 'if' they can stay on the field. However when 85% of our Oline can't stay healthy so you're going to run into a problem no matter how much depth you have.
The biggest problem I have is picking a Tackle at #2. I'd be happy trading out with the Browns for their first picks and pick up Kouandrjo and Watkins/Lee and grabbing a Safety last first round. That would address most of our needs. We also have FA to contend with fairly soon so we'll see where they head with that and that will give us a better idea of how we'll draft.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we are talking about our oline, it was our interior that wasn't doing much. Jeff Fisher has yet to spend a high draft pick on a tackle so I'm not really sure what to expect from the #2 pick if we don't go QB.

I'd be against drafting a WR. I think we have a lot of guys with potential. I like Bailey. I like Austin. I like Pettis. Givens and Quick could both work out but I think they need one more offseason.

7-9 is a decent year considering that Bradford went down and the D wasnt playing well when he was starting. I am kinda expecting playoffs next year, though. Our pass rush is too good

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is "freaking out", at this point. I'm not saying anything like Matthews MUST BE the pick at #2 overall. I'm just saying that with the two first rounders at our disposal, it might be a good time to address the line early. The line that Zac Stacy has been running behind the last month or so, has been good. But, one guy going down (granted he was arguably our best lineman) shouldn't devastate the offense the way it did. Obviously, we can't "do less with the same".

I like Jake Long (even though it's not guaranteed he'll be back, or even full-strength come week 1) I like Rodger Saffold (at guard). Tim Barnes has played pretty decently at center, so far. No real complaints. Joe Barksdale has been servicable at RT. As far as "reliable" linemen go... that's it. 4 out of 5. We know little to nothing about Barrett Jones, just yet and we have zero depth to speak of. Which is why you get the result we got yesterday. Good teams don't "shuffle" linemen due to injury... they bring in that lineman's backup.

A great offensive line can do wonders for the rest of the offense. Hell, we just fielded a "good" one for a few weeks and Zac Stacy responded beautifully. All I'm saying is, it's something we may want to consider, moving forward. I'm all for any pick as long as it will help this offense. Up front is always a good place to start.

Sorry about the freaking out thing...I'm on 3 different boards and I kind of take everything I read and mash it all together. Some people (not you) have the whole "the sky is falling" mentality whenever we lose. I understand most fans only see whats right in front of them and I understand the NFL has the "what have you done for me now" attitude.

Well one thing I disagree with you on is we didn't have "one" guy go down. We've had 4. Wells, Dahl, Saffold (at RT) and now Long. You really have no choice but to reshuffle at that point. Sure Saffold was an upgrade over Dahl and Smith at RG but it I'm sure they were just experimenting in practice when they saw Shelly Smith couldn't handle RG on a consistent basis. I agree Barnes is a good player and I think he'll only get better so we might have lucked out on him. And yes, there are huge question marks around Jones. Hopefully he'll actually get some playing time next season.
Also, yes it's hard to argue with you. We could always use better backups for these guys. I don't like having so many backups that can play all the line positions but are just average at playing them. We need guys who can step in and possibly be better than his successor.