• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Racist Parrots fans

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's asking too much for Dusty to take SOME kind of action. A pre game ump conversation, or at least to come out of the dugout after Choo was drilled to object no warnings from the umpire might have been nice. One thing is sure, if the Pirates are headhunting, they'll keep doing it as long as it supplements their game plan, AND if no Reds take exception to it. I don't think Dusty gets ejected enough. It adds to his low key, low energy, passive approach, and just is one more predictable attribute to aid opposing teams in making the Reds do things THEY don't want to do, while they implement their will against the Reds. I'd make the Pirates think twice about hitting my players. Does that make me a reactionary nut-job ?

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how you insert and spin baker into discussions, at times, is laughable. i seriously have taken to laughing at some of your propositions. what makes you reactionary is letting your disdain for one man fog your critical baseball thinking.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like passive managers hiding in the safety of the dugout while his team is left to flounder for lack of leadership. Dusty is a tumor in orherwise healthy tissue.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think all aspects of the game are open to discussion. Pretending something doesn't exist or that it's the product of perception doesn't preclude the fact that beanballs have been thrown and our second baseman missed 4 games as a result.

It does not dismiss the fact that the Pittsburgh TV broadcasters have attacked -- ON THE AIR -- the Reds and their "MO for throwing at hitters" and hinting at whether the Pirates will continue to throw pitches at Brandon Phillips. (Now, of course, they say it's about his on-field demeanor, which is tantamount to throwing at a guy because he's good at baseball. I guess somebody asked about the racism and they went ... gulp ... better find some other reason to keep up this shit.)

This is about highly-paid broadcast teams and sportswriters. The nutbags fuel the message and the delivery reflects what the fans want to tune in to hear. There's a connection.

So until it ends, I will pay homage to it. At least the last time the Cardinals played the Reds, I didn't have to watch highlight films of the brawl on ESPN. There is some hope. Not much, but some.

If this particular topic is offensive, please ignore it.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed opinions on the actuarial odds of getting injured by a purpose pitch, vs. being injured in a brawl, as people have died in both. There are usually only 1 guy at risk on a beaning ( the beanee), if there is no retaliation. A brawl assumed multiple people , and potentially multiple people harmed, with injury, suspension, or both. The intellect in me says to do nothing except take your base and plead your case...do far, what the Reds have done. The Neanderthal in me wants to inflict I'll will and bodily harm on the next offender though. Sometimes a thug only responds to violence. I'd like it all to stop though, and without umps or MLB intervening, I'd hate to rely on the charitable good will of men, or the forebears nice of lighting to change it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, nobody has charged the mound in this rather pointless promotion of contrived "bad blood" between these teams. The team's broadcasters helping to fill up the ballpark (or enhance social media clicks) with half-witted fans will do more to accomplish this than retaliation on the field.

I suppose that is generally where I am on this ... it's truthfully contrived and the TV media has been sucked into it without so much as a question about ... why exactly DID the Pirates not retaliate against Mike Leake? The answer should be pretty obvious.

There are just too many people who are inclined to not discuss it for what it's worth as opposed to "our guy was beaned and *we* will get even with your guy." (Specifically, Brandon Phillips.)

Hitting a guy in the hip is not beaning him. Hitting him in the head is beaning him. The idiots who report this stuff don't even know the difference, let alone what's being discussed in the clubhouses.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All else equal, id rather avoid drama and trauma. Bad blood does oftem make for better baseball, and hype sells tickets...I also believe in order for there to be a REAL "rivalry" the two teams have to be relatively similar talent... possibly the Cardinals distaste of the "upstart" Reds challenging them had something to do with the infamous "brawl"...At risk of appearing overly confident, I shudder to think the Reds should consider a team that hasn't played .500 since Barry Bonds was their 180 lbs LF, close enough talent to be a "rival"... Of course the standings say otherwise, and Clint Hurdle had the Pirates believing...always a dangerous thing.

The best the Reds can do is bw the Reds that beat bad teams so regularly, and stop being the Fleds, when it comes to living up to beating winning teams. I'm not sure why, because I believe the talent is there, but the Reds seem to be more inept, prone to mistakes and swing like drunken blind men against a plus .500 team. Is it panic ? Is it lack of confidence ? Is it jus low baseball IQ that isn't a factor against terrible teams ? I'm stumped.