• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Questions on Sammy Watkins..........

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones -- all really big WRs.

DeSean Jackson is one of, if not, the fastest player in the NFL.

The only two guys who are comparable in size and speed to Watkins mentioned is Roddy White and Michael Crabtree. .

You keep trying to knock his size for whatever reason- are you operating under the impression that he's smaller than he really is? A WR doesn't have to be 6'3" or 6'4" to be successful in the NFL.

Watkins is 6'1"- Dez Bryant is 6'2", you already covered Jackson, Crabtree, and White. Jerry Rice was 6'2". Marvin Harrison was 6'0". Anquan Boldin is 6'1". Reggie Wayne is 6'0".

I could keep going, but I think I've made my point. Trying to knock Watkins' potential based on his size, which isn't small by any measure whatsoever, is simply silly.

I feel like what was posed as a seemingly genuine question (what's so great about this guy?) has turned into a witch hunt to prove everyone else wrong.

The dude isn't small or short, time to find a new crack in his armor to try to exploit...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

Maybe that is a bit overboard, but none of those players hit the scene, running like Watkins did. I'm assuming that Mayock's assessment may be mostly from his freshman year and how he dominated then. I dont believe Mayock will dis-credit him for not being taller. A lot of the tall WRs suck too.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep trying to knock his size for whatever reason- are you operating under the impression that he's smaller than he really is? A WR doesn't have to be 6'3" or 6'4" to be successful in the NFL.

Watkins is 6'1"- Dez Bryant is 6'2", you already covered Jackson, Crabtree, and White. Jerry Rice was 6'2". Marvin Harrison was 6'0". Anquan Boldin is 6'1". Reggie Wayne is 6'0".

I could keep going, but I think I've made my point. Trying to knock Watkins' potential based on his size, which isn't small by any measure whatsoever, is simply silly.

I feel like what was posed as a seemingly genuine question (what's so great about this guy?) has turned into a witch hunt to prove everyone else wrong.

The dude isn't small or short, time to find a new crack in his armor to try to exploit...

I mention his size because it takes a truly unique player to be elite at the WR without being 6'3" and up. Here is the list of WRs with 1400+ yards last year. Josh Gordon, Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffrey, Andre Johnson, Antonio Brown. What stands out about that list?

Look at the top 10 list for TDs for WR's -- With the exception of Dez Bryant, who is 6'2" -- All of them are 6'3" and up. The difference between Dez and Watkins -- Dez has one inch in height and 5 inches on his vertical over Watkins.

I have said all along -- I think Watkins is going to be a really good player. The elite WRs in the NFL though are all much bigger and use their size, as well as their speed and jumping ability to create mismatches against NFL DBs.

I actually think Watkins will excel in the slot and can be used on the outside as well, but the slot is where he will show his worth the most, IMO.

I'm not trying to disprove anyone on here -- I'm just stating, for all the SportsHoopla being talked about Watkins -- He would have to be extremely unique to end up in the same class as the elite WRs in today's NFL, as he doesn't have the same size, nor the jumping ability the truly elite guys have.

I've also stated -- I would be extremely happy to have him fall to 10 for the Lions -- I just don't want to see the Lions give up picks to move up in an extremely deep draft where they could find multiple quality players to strengthen the team. If Watkins was 6'3" or 6'4" with a 40 inch vertical and all the other atributes he has -- I would say make the deal to move up.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, all the analyst believe that his skills translate well to the NFL. We all know that NFL representatives are all intrigued by the players that have special things that can't be coached. With Watkins, it begins with his initial burst. After that, it's his ability to finish and threaten a football field. Some of the guys you mentioned don't even have these qualities.

Watkins is bigger than Steve Smith and Jackson, yet smaller than J. Jones. That's not too bad.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming that Mayock's assessment may be mostly from his freshman year and how he dominated then.

If that is the case -- why isn't Marquise Lee being talked about as a sure fire top 5 pick. He was the WR of the year as a sophomore, while in Watkins sophomore year, he only put up 700 yards and DeAndre Hopkins was the actual #1 WR for Clemson.

Look -- i'm not saying he won't be really good. I'm just saying, I don't see him as a can't miss prospect or someone who is going to step onto the field and dominate in the NFL. That is all I'm saying.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much of the conversation regarding Watkins goes towards "What's so great about him", I think the same can be mentioned concerning CB's Justin Gilbert and Darqueze Dennard. Who exactly (A WR) stood out that either of those 2 CB shut down this past year.

Oklahoma St played a 2013 schedule of the following; Miss St., Tex San Ant, Lamar, WVU, K-St, TCU, Iowa St, Tex Tech (Jace Amaro), Kan, Tex, Bay, Okl, Mizzou (Dorial Green-Beckham). I watched the Okl t vs Baylor game and Baylor WR Antwan Goodwin (5'11 220 lbs) smoke Gilberts ass 3x in that game but I don't knock him for that as it happens to CB's (forget the excuse it was already a blow-out by Okl St)

Michigan ST played a 2013 schedule of the following; W. Mich, SFL, Youngstown, ND (Nicklas, TJ Jones), Iowa, Ind, Pur, Ill, Mich, Neb, NWstn, Min, Oh St (Brown), Stan...

Not much to go there IMO as far as elite WR Prospects faced in 2013. Allen Robinson/Abbrederis for Dennard in 2012 ? Gilbert totally disappeared in 2012 just like Sammy Watkins' production slipped in 2012 after having been suspended 2 games for Ridin' Dirty. I'm sure there were other outlying factors.

I think the nitpicking on Watkins could be flipped just as much on those 2 CB's as well and I like both of those CB's but do not believe they're impact players this year or even possibly in year two.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am flying in the face of conventional wisdom but I still think Marqise Lee will be a better pro WR than Watkins. I guess I don't see where Watkins has an edge.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Watkins hopes NFL career matches his college hype - NFL.com

There have been 38 wide receivers selected in the first round in the past 10 drafts, and 14 were top-10 picks. Watkins is considered a top-10 lock.
Those 14 can be put into three groups.
Stars or rising stars: Larry Fitzgerald (third overall pick in 2004), A.J. Green (fourth in 2011), Calvin Johnson (second in 2007), Julio Jones (sixth in 2011).
Too soon to tell or journeyman talents: Tavon Austin (eighth in 2013), Justin Blackmon (fifth in 2012), Michael Crabtree (10th in 2009), Braylon Edwards (third in 2005), Ted Ginn (ninth in 2007), Darrius Heyward-Bey (seventh in 2009), Roy Williams (seventh in 2004). Note: Edwards was out of the league last season and Williams retired before the 2012 season.
Misses: Mike Williams (10th in 2005), Reggie Williams (ninth in 2004), Troy Williamson (seventh in 2005).
Here is some perspective on Watkins, those 14 receivers and how Watkins compares to that group:

Sammy Watkins

Size: Measured 6-foot-0¾ and 211 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine
Average size of the 14: 6-foot-2, 210 pounds

Stats at Clemson: 240 receptions for 3,391 yards and 27 TDs in three seasons.
Leading career receiver: Austin, with 288 catches in four seasons.
Leading per-season receiver: Crabtree, with 231 receptions in two seasons
Receptions yards leader: Roy Williams, with 3,866 yards in four seasons.
Leading yards-per-season receiver: Crabtree, with 3,127 yards in two seasons (1,563.5 yards per season).
Most TD catches: Crabtree, with 41 in two seasons. Blackmon had 40 in three seasons, and that was the second-highest total.
How Watkins ranks compared to the 14: His 240 catches are fifth-most, his yardage total is sixth-most and his TD catches are ninth-most.

WATKINS GOING FORWARD

It's not as if he has a lot to live up to. The majority of the 14 receivers who have gone in the top 10 in the past decade have been disappointments.
Johnson is a tremendous player, and Fitzgerald is another who lived up to the hype. There is hope for Green and Jones.

The other 10, though, did not meet or have not met the hype, with a handful being flat-out busts.
Watkins is both fast and quick, and also is elusive and strong. As Mayock said, he looks like a can't-miss guy. But it's not as if can't-miss receivers haven't missed before.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha troy williamson......forgot about him...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am flying in the face of conventional wisdom but I still think Marqise Lee will be a better pro WR than Watkins. I guess I don't see where Watkins has an edge.

Lee, IMO, is one of the top 3 Route runners (Jordan Matthews, Cooks, Lee) but he can be out-muscled and pushed off his routes by press corners more than he should be. Oregon CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu seemed to have his number at times as did a few others.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Evans is a better prospect than Watkins.

Evans reminds me of some of the over-rated former USC WR's who were a product of their system.

I cannot wait to see how Evans pro career goes if he ends up in Buf, Stl, or NYJ with the likes of EJ Manuel, Bradford or Geno Smith throwing to him

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans reminds me of some of the over-rated former USC WR's who were a product of their system.

I cannot wait to see how Evans pro career goes if he ends up in Buf, Stl, or NYJ with the likes of EJ Manuel, Bradford or Geno Smith throwing to him

He had Johnny manziel throwing him the ball. Every backup in the league's going to be an upgrade...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Evans is a better prospect than Watkins.

He had Johnny manziel throwing him the ball. Every backup in the league's going to be an upgrade...

:laugh3:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lee, IMO, is one of the top 3 Route runners (Jordan Matthews, Cooks, Lee) but he can be out-muscled and pushed off his routes by press corners more than he should be. Oregon CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu seemed to have his number at times as did a few others.
I've seen him play multiple times and I have never seen him out-jumped for a ball. I don't follow the combine but I bet he had one of the best (if not the best) vertical and long (or broad) jump. He separates at the LOS, has great hands (needs focus), and runs good routes. I will take him any day.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden Tate is at the Red Coat right now in Detroit. If he signs, no way in hell are the Lions going WR at 10.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen him play multiple times and I have never seen him out-jumped for a ball. I don't follow the combine but I bet he had one of the best (if not the best) vertical and long (or broad) jump. He separates at the LOS, has great hands (needs focus), and runs good routes. I will take him any day.

2014 NFL combine results: Vertical Jump (Wide Receivers) - CBSSports.com

tied for 10th in the vertical

2014 NFL Combine: Workout Results - Wide Receivers - The Phinsider

tied for 3rd in broad jump (better than Superman Watkins amazingly)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden Tate is at the Red Coat right now in Detroit. If he signs, no way in hell are the Lions going WR at 10.
If he signs, at least one fan in Danville, CA is going to do backflips.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info RB. As I said, Lee is one explosive dude. I would take him before even looking at Watkins or Evans

I'd take him if the Lions traded back into the first after 10, or if somehow he slipped into the 2nd. I also like him much more than Evans. If Lee hadn't run into injury issues, he'd be ahead of Watkins on everyone's boards. If he can stay healthy in the NFL he'll probably prove to be the best of the 3 long term.