• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Questions on Sammy Watkins..........

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On several occasions, watching Clemson play (I've been a bit of a fan), I've heard the announcers discuss how teams attempt to prepare for Sammy. They said teams often wouldn't jam at the line because of his tremendous first step. Teams found it easier to play off just to make sure they keep him in front of the defense. Teams knew screens were coming but to counter them, they played a lot of "off" coverage to attempt to make the tackle after the catch.

Clemson's offense was based on getting the ball into their players hands as quick as possible.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On several occasions, watching Clemson play (I've been a bit of a fan), I've heard the announcers discuss how teams attempt to prepare for Sammy. They said teams often wouldn't jam at the line because of his tremendous first step. Teams found it easier to play off just to make sure they keep him in front of the defense. Teams knew screens were coming but to counter them, they played a lot of "off" coverage to attempt to make the tackle after the catch.

Clemson's offense was based on getting the ball into their players hands as quick as possible.

I realize that. Do you think it is going to be the same way in the NFL? I highly doubt you are going to see CBs dropping 5-7 yards off at the line of scrimmage. He is fast, but his speed is the norm at WR in the NFL.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to wait and see. The good thing is that if he played for the Lions, he would face team's #2 CB consistently in one otree on one situations. Plus, its not like he won't get coached up.

Press coverage is something all rookie WRs must learn to beat. CJ even had issues with this just a few years ago. D. Jackson use his quickness to beat it and Im sure he had to learn.

Its hard for me to buy into the notion that Watkins would struggle with NIL coverages after getting the proper coaching and the fact that I havent heard one NFL analyst mention it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to wait and see. The good thing is that if he played for the Lions, he would face team's #2 CB consistently in one otree on one situations. Plus, its not like he won't get coached up.

Press coverage is something all rookie WRs must learn to beat. CJ even had issues with this just a few years ago. D. Jackson use his quickness to beat it and Im sure he had to learn.

Its hard for me to buy into the notion that Watkins would struggle with NIL coverages after getting the proper coaching and the fact that I havent heard one NFL analyst mention it.

Once again -- I agree. I think he would be a great player to have line up as a #2. The only issue I have with him, other than the limited routes he was used on in college is trading away picks to acquire him.

I would do cartwheels if he fell to #10. I just don't see him being a player who will make or break the Lions, as they have multiple needs to fill. Any way we look at it -- Detroit will get an elite talent at #10 and with the depth of this draft -- they will also get another high quality player who would normally be a 1st round pick in prior years in the 2nd round too. Would you rather an elite talent and another high quality player or Sammy Watkins, as Detroit will most definitely have to trade away their 2nd round pick to move up at the very least.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would depend on what the other team is looking for whether or not the Lions would have to give up a second rounder. The Raiders, for example, might take a third if they feel like they can still grab a player they like at 10.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would depend on what the other team is looking for whether or not the Lions would have to give up a second rounder. The Raiders, for example, might take a third if they feel like they can still grab a player they like at 10.

If Detroit could get Oakland to take a 3rd round pick to move up 5 spots to #5 overall -- I would do it in a heartbeat. I just don't see Oakland being dumb enough to move down 5 spots for only a 3rd round pick. If that was the case, I guarantee Atlanta would do that if Clowney was still on the board and Oakland would only drop 1 spot. Minnesota would do that if the QB they want is still on the board and Oakland would only drop 3 spots.

With the rookie contracts now -- Impact rookies are like gold to teams. Imagine if Detroit had drafted Suh, one year later. His contract would have been for 21 million over 5 years, instead he has a cap hit of 22 million in 2014 alone. That is absurd.

Then again -- IF Oakland said yes to that -- I wouldn't be upset at all if the Lions were to make that deal.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit could get Oakland to take a 3rd round pick to move up 5 spots to #5 overall -- I would do it in a heartbeat. I just don't see Oakland being dumb enough to move down 5 spots for only a 3rd round pick. If that was the case, I guarantee Atlanta would do that if Clowney was still on the board and Oakland would only drop 1 spot. Minnesota would do that if the QB they want is still on the board and Oakland would only drop 3 spots.

With the rookie contracts now -- Impact rookies are like gold to teams. Imagine if Detroit had drafted Suh, one year later. His contract would have been for 21 million over 5 years, instead he has a cap hit of 22 million in 2014 alone. That is absurd.

Then again -- IF Oakland said yes to that -- I wouldn't be upset at all if the Lions were to make that deal.

The Raiders moved from #3 overall in the 2013 draft all the way down to #12 overall (Miami's slot, with them taking DE Dion Jordan) merely swapping 1st round picks and acquiring Miami's 2nd round... 9 slots is nearly double of a move from 5 to 10, not to mention that going from #3 to #12 is even more drastic, IMO

It might be a perfect position for the Raider's if they are looking at OLB Barr or possibly QB Derek Carr whom many talking heads seem to be pointing towards as their selection...

REMEMBER we're talking about the Raiders.. Reggie McKenzie was last on the NFL Best GM's list, minus the (3) new GMs

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders moved from #3 overall in the 2013 draft all the way down to #12 overall (Miami's slot, with them taking DE Dion Jordan) merely swapping 1st round picks and acquiring Miami's 2nd round... 9 slots is nearly double of a move from 5 to 10, not to mention that going from #3 to #12 is even more drastic, IMO

It might be a perfect position for the Raider's if they are looking at OLB Barr or possibly QB Derek Carr whom many talking heads seem to be pointing towards as their selection...

REMEMBER we're talking about the Raiders.. Reggie McKenzie was last on the NFL Best GM's list, minus the (3) new GMs

That is why I said -- if they can make the deal for a 3rd rounder -- I'd be all for it. I think last year was a perfect storm though, as it lacked truly elite talent at the majority of the most sought after positions. That isn't the case this year.

Eric Fisher was the #1 pick last year and some analyst said if he were in this draft, he'd be drafted in the bottom of the 1st round. The 3 OL in this year's draft would have all been drafted ahead of the 3 OL who were taken in the top 4 last year, at least according to the draft analysts.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the Lions probably would throw in a future pick too.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why we keep thinking that a "compliment" to CJ should be equal to what we classify as a #2 WR when its all about putting the best player possible opposite CJ. CJ and Watkins would compliment each other in my mind. When could we ever say that?

Focusing on the screen passes that Clemson ran is an attempt to find a weakness in his game and it doesnt completely define his skill-set. He's been a very productive player his entire career and I believe thats another thing teams covet about him. If it doesnt cost much to trade for him, it might be worth it. Evans is a good bet too and Im sure the Lions will be at his pro-day too.

There are alot of receivers that would complement CJ well in this draft. Montcrief for instance. For the lions to trade up to draft a receiver such as watkins that would require picks they cant afford to give away and while addressing their wr hole that would leave not much for the defensive side of the ball. CJ and watkins would be amazing if stafford can turn it around. Great qbs (and I think stafford will be one) dont need two number one receivers, hell many of them succeed without one true number one. Stafford has the weapons, he doesnt need another number one receiver at the expense of their entire defense. If they want to win, stafford needs to turn it around and they draft defense and pick up a WR later in the draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with pretty much ALL that you have stated above, TrustMeImRight.

I'm more set on HOPING Mayhew trades down to acquire/hit on picks with talent that could be impact players or starters. After the 4th round though, the talent appears to thin out. Mayhew could still find a starter if a team(s) approach him with trade down opportunities.

While I like Watkins a lot, I'd much rather draft 2 impact players/starters in the 1st 2 rounds. Like a DB (Clinton-Dix or Pryor or Gilbert or Dennard) OLB (Mosley, Shazier, VanNoy).. Then go after a draft dropping WR in the 3rd...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My $.02 is that he's getting all this love because he's the best prospect to come out in a few years. I've seen a lot of articles/threads/tweets/whatnots saying he's the best since Julio Jones and A.J. Green a few years ago, haven't seen anything at all saying he's the best since Megatron.

As for why they think he's the best in a few years is because he's the "total package" imo. He's got fair size at 6'1" and 205 lbs. He's got great quickness to go along with "plus" speed. His combine showed good athleticism and "plus" strength for a WR. He's got soft hands and can run all the routes.

So, while he may not be the biggest, the fastest, or jump the highest, he does all those things as a whole better than anyone who has came out over the last few years...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think Evans is a better prospect than Watkins.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My $.02 is that he's getting all this love because he's the best prospect to come out in a few years. I've seen a lot of articles/threads/tweets/whatnots saying he's the best since Julio Jones and A.J. Green a few years ago, haven't seen anything at all saying he's the best since Megatron.

As for why they think he's the best in a few years is because he's the "total package" imo. He's got fair size at 6'1" and 205 lbs. He's got great quickness to go along with "plus" speed. His combine showed good athleticism and "plus" strength for a WR. He's got soft hands and can run all the routes.

So, while he may not be the biggest, the fastest, or jump the highest, he does all those things as a whole better than anyone who has came out over the last few years...

I think too many people are forgetting the QB who'll be throwing to Watkins or any WR drafted this year. Maybe Stafford gets his pocket presence/mechanical/technical flaws under-wraps with this new regime. But, let's not guarantee that Caldwell, Lombardi and Jim Bob Cooter-Lover will emphatically get it done in their 1st year or ever just because they have worked with QB's like P. Manning or Brees.

Drafting any WR in the 1st round, unless Watkins falls to #10, is a mistake when looking at all the holes that need to be filled plus Stafford's issues and then even depending on FA signings.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows Stafford needs to correct a few things but that doesn't mean that you don't draft a guy because of it. Lol. I think I'm more concerned with bringing in guys that can actually catch. Watkins or Evans please.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock: Watkins amongst best WRs of decade
130768.jpg

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock calls Clemson WR Sammy Watkins one of the best wide receivers he has seen on tape in the last decade.

This is a truly impressive statement when you consider the WRs Mayock has scouted over the past 10 years, a list that includes A.J. Green (Georgia/Bengals), Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech/Lions), Dez Bryant (Oklahoma State/Cowboys), Roddy White (UAB/Falcons), Larry Fitzgerald (Pittsburgh/Cardinals), Julio Jones (Alabama/Falcons), Michael Crabtree (Texas Tech/49ers) and DeSean Jackson (Cal/Eagles). Watkins is a top-10 lock, and some (including NFL.com's Gil Brandt) insist there is no chance he's falling below Oakland at No. 5.
Source: NFL.com
Mar 9 - 9:50 PM

RobBase, you stated this earlier (no chance Watkins gets past Oakland).

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock? Lol.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock calls Clemson WR Sammy Watkins one of the best wide receivers he has seen on tape in the last decade.

This is a truly impressive statement when you consider the WRs Mayock has scouted over the past 10 years, a list that includes A.J. Green (Georgia/Bengals), Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech/Lions), Dez Bryant (Oklahoma State/Cowboys), Roddy White (UAB/Falcons), Larry Fitzgerald (Pittsburgh/Cardinals), Julio Jones (Alabama/Falcons), Michael Crabtree (Texas Tech/49ers) and DeSean Jackson (Cal/Eagles). Watkins is a top-10 lock, and some (including NFL.com's Gil Brandt) insist there is no chance he's falling below Oakland at No. 5.

AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald, Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones -- all really big WRs.

DeSean Jackson is one of, if not, the fastest player in the NFL.

The only two guys who are comparable in size and speed to Watkins mentioned is Roddy White and Michael Crabtree. If he turned into Roddy White -- I would be very impressed. The biggest different between White and Watkins -- an 8" difference in their vertical leap, which makes Roddy White's high point on contested throws in the same ball park or better than taller WR's.

I think Watkins is a faster version of Michael Crabtree, who in 4 years in the NFL has only 1 1,000 yard season, as the #1 WR in SF, but still a high quality WR. I think Watkins will be a consistent 1,000 yard WR, but mentioning him in the same breathe as the elite of elite WRs is going overboard, IMO.

IF he was actually in the same ballpark as the receivers mentioned by Mayock -- Houston would be talking about drafting him, as Andre Johnson is getting old or teams would be handing out draft picks to jump up in the draft to take him.

I'm going out on a limb and saying -- if he is drafted by the Rams, Oakland, Minnesota or Buffalo -- He isn't going to be happy, as he will have terrible QBs attempting to throw the ball to him. Not many teams are fighting over Bradford, Pryor, Ponder or EJ Manuel.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock? Lol.

Sure, I'll bite. What's wrong with Mayock? He seems to be one of the most accurate and well informed draftnicks, imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayock? Lol.

Sure, I'll bite. What's wrong with Mayock? He seems to be one of the most accurate and well informed draftnicks, imo.

I honestly think Evans is a better prospect than Watkins.

In JDM's world, only he is right on how a prospect projects to NFL level.

Anyone who starts out a sentence with "I honestly" is already in question regarding their opinion, IMO