• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question on Umpires

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do they get graded throughout a season?
Meaning if one consistently misses on balls & strikes are they or can they be replaced or fired?

I understand teams cant question their calls, but throughout a season if one guy is bad, do they answer to anyone?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K-Zone isn't accurate in the sense that umpires have their own strike zone. As Kruk said if the umps been calling strikes on the inside part of the plate all game long, why bitch about it in the 8th inning?

I hate inconsistency but if you're consistent I can't really hate on the ump

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K-Zone isn't accurate in the sense that umpires have their own strike zone. As Kruk said if the umps been calling strikes on the inside part of the plate all game long, why bitch about it in the 8th inning?

not talking about tonights game, although this game did make me think about it.
If there is a bad ump, does he answer to anyone about it? move him from behind the plate or fire him or whatever. Not talking about in a game, but during a season. I know they can have a bad call on a particular pitch. I understand the human element of calling balls & strikes. But what if a guy is just horrible, or as you say highly inconsistent? Assuming they have a union (maybe not) do they have a checks & balances in place?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB supposedly grades umpires throughout the season, every season. But we don't get to see the results and CB Bucknor and Country Joe (Mr West is now nvolved the reviewing of calls at the league office, i believe.)both got to call games for decades. So... The grades make no difference. And that stupid Kzone thing should just go away.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umpires do have an union.

One thing you have to remember with the box you see on TV, it is recorded from a CF camera that is not centered correctly because they have to see around the pitcher. High/low pitches are correct, but inside/outside pitches are off a little bit.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the best way to see who was graded good and who was graded poorly.....Check out (if you can) who been the umps in the playoffs in all 3 rounds.

I'm pretty sure just like the NFL & NBA they have some type of grading system for umps and if you do not have a great grade then you won't be an umpire in the playoffs

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok I am not talking about the box thing. Has there been an Ump taken from behind the plate during a season, or in between seasons because they graded lowly or however they are measured? Or is there a certain amount of calls to the whoevers office needed before they look at umps? Just curious if there is a plan in place if there is an Ump that isn't good enough to be behind the plate? What is the steps taken if any? Put them back in Ump training or whatever LOL.
BTW I am not talking about any particular game or Umpire.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they fire umps and if they do it must be one of the newer umps....It isn't a big name like Buckner or West

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
technology is in place to measure the entire trajectory of a ball down to the mm.

tennis does it with serves that cover more than 60 feet 6 inches, and reach speed over 140 mph.

i'm hoping that within the next decade, balls and strikes are called electronically. the variable of the batter's height/batting stance isn't a concern given the measuring instruments that are available.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is kzone even accurate? I remember watching the playoffs last yr and several pitches that weren't even close to the strike zone in the strike zone according to kzone

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not the inside ball that they are inconsistent with. Once the umpires switched to the under-the-shirt pads they got scared of the ball because they lost protection that the big pad used to give them. They hide out behind the inside shoulder of the catcher and they'll nail the inside calls but there's basically a big forgiveness zone on the outside because of their viewing angle. I think if they just went back to those big protective pads you'd see a lot more consistent calls on the outside part of the plate. Plus those umps would probably be cooler in the sun rather than looking like a turtle wearing that equipment all game.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB supposedly grades umpires throughout the season, every season. But we don't get to see the results and CB Bucknor and Country Joe (Mr West is now nvolved the reviewing of calls at the league office, i believe.)both got to call games for decades.

This is correct. ( I've been to the big league umpire schools) Sometimes veterans (umpires) will show up at one or two of the academies to "readjust or make adjustments" to the slot position. Bottomline your taught is simple, if your gonna call that outside corner then you better call it all game.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
technology is in place to measure the entire trajectory of a ball down to the mm.

tennis does it with serves that cover more than 60 feet 6 inches, and reach speed over 140 mph.

i'm hoping that within the next decade, balls and strikes are called electronically. the variable of the batter's height/batting stance isn't a concern given the measuring instruments that are available.

Shut your hole!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are some very accurate K-Zones out there, like the ones used for PitchF/X, which may or may not be the ones we see on TV. They accurately account for the camera angle parallax or are based on a camera angle above the plate.

The math isn't that hard for a computer. I imagine most K-Zones are pretty accurate, even the TV ones.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked the fact that umps had different strike zones, some loose and some tight. Either way, players were left to figure out which ump had what.

No need to change this aspect of the game at all.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after facing Oakland A's pitching... I hear this after damn near every series.

lol Mariners. sheesh. don't feel bad, Texas was complaining about the A's strike zones vs the Twins earlier. I am sure we are about to hear from the Angels fans after the next 3 games.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KZONE isn't accurate at all

there is technology that is accurate down to the millimeter for the entire trajectory of the ball, and to also measure the strike zone of individual hitters.

different strike zones is one of the silliest things in any sport. it's as absurd as having different sized service boxes in tennis depending on what the tournament wants to consider an in serve.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many an ump will call a strike just outside a square box placed on a tv replay. Nothing wrong with that as long as the ump calls the pitches consistently for both teams.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many an ump will call a strike just outside a square box placed on a tv replay. Nothing wrong with that as long as the ump calls the pitches consistently for both teams.

ya the worst is inconsistency. Squeezing one guy and giving the other pitcher a wider zone.:gaah: