• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move on the Geno restructure. I know some people think this is "kicking the can down the road" but I don't really agree with that. The cap hit on that $9.6M was in the pipe no matter what, and pushing half of it to 2025 comes without interest and means the deferred $4.8M will be a smaller percentage of the cap in '25 than in '24 since the cap is nearly guaranteed to increase every year. Really a no-brainer move.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good move on the Geno restructure. I know some people think this is "kicking the can down the road" but I don't really agree with that. The cap hit on that $9.6M was in the pipe no matter what, and pushing half of it to 2025 comes without interest and means the deferred $4.8M will be a smaller percentage of the cap in '25 than in '24 since the cap is nearly guaranteed to increase every year. Really a no-brainer move.

Agreed. Next year is going to be decision time with Geno either way. His cap hit is $38M next year. Unless he goes back to 2022 form and is on an MVP track, I doubt he'll be worth $38M. So he'll either be released (about a savings of $25M) or he'll be extended. Seattle was also slightly over the cap... you gotta get back to even before March 13th... so something had to be done. We know Adams will be released but if they're planning for a post June cut, that doesn't help us meet the March 13th requirement.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Next year is going to be decision time with Geno either way. His cap hit is $38M next year. Unless he goes back to 2022 form and is on an MVP track, I doubt he'll be worth $38M. So he'll either be released (about a savings of $25M) or he'll be extended. Seattle was also slightly over the cap... you gotta get back to even before March 13th... so something had to be done. We know Adams will be released but if they're planning for a post June cut, that doesn't help us meet the March 13th requirement.
Yeah, I think most/many of us figured Geno's 3-year deal was really 2 years when he signed it last off-season. Things still seem to be heading in that direction and maybe even picking up steam. I would say the chances he'll be on the team in 2025 with a $38M cap number are remote.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Seahawks have not interviewed Penix. I don't think you can put too much into that though. Obviously Grubb knows Penix pretty well and if the Hawks were to go with him it will be because Grubb is personally vouching for him, IMO.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, from what I'm reading we won't have a chance at JJ as just about every mock I'm seeing has him going no later than 12 to Denver.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, from what I'm reading we won't have a chance at JJ as just about every mock I'm seeing has him going no later than 12 to Denver.

Frankly I see Nix more of a Payton guy but who knows... I still think Seattle trades down and tries to snag Colson in the 2nd round for their future LB. Colson can actually cover. I also don't see McCarthy going top 15... Nix will be attractive cause he was one of the best QBs under pressure last year in NCAAF. And he was also pretty good without pressure. McCarthy was OKAY under pressure... he's a better pocket passer but still developmental.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Seahawks have not interviewed Penix. I don't think you can put too much into that though. Obviously Grubb knows Penix pretty well and if the Hawks were to go with him it will be because Grubb is personally vouching for him, IMO.
they have a limited number of interviews so spending one on penix seems like a waste.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly I see Nix more of a Payton guy but who knows... I still think Seattle trades down and tries to snag Colson in the 2nd round for their future LB. Colson can actually cover. I also don't see McCarthy going top 15... Nix will be attractive cause he was one of the best QBs under pressure last year in NCAAF. And he was also pretty good without pressure. McCarthy was OKAY under pressure... he's a better pocket passer but still developmental.

1709308139660.png

JJ McCarthy converted 55% of his 3rd and long throws. That is an astonishing number.

McCarthy also had a 73% completion percentage when throwing out of the pocket which absolutely blows away anyone else. Nix was 2nd at 58%.

Right now I don't see a lot of folks putting Nix above Penix or McCarthy. I think there are a lot of concerns that Nix is a system QB and the fact that he threw 30% of his passes at or behind the line of scrimmage doesn't help him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 355878

JJ McCarthy converted 55% of his 3rd and long throws. That is an astonishing number.

McCarthy also had a 73% completion percentage when throwing out of the pocket which absolutely blows away anyone else. Nix was 2nd at 58%.

Right now I don't see a lot of folks putting Nix above Penix or McCarthy. I think there are a lot of concerns that Nix is a system QB and the fact that he threw 30% of his passes at or behind the line of scrimmage doesn't help him.
Heard someone who thinks that Spencer Rattler will be drafted by Seahawks as QBOTF, actual made a good argument for it based on what the Seahawks can afford and traits that JS likes in a QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard someone who thinks that Spencer Rattler will be drafted by Seahawks as QBOTF, actual made a good argument for it based on what the Seahawks can afford and traits that JS likes in a QB.

Entirely possible. I think it is more likely that the Seahawks trade down from 16, pick up a day 2 pick and use that on a QB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is more likely that the Seahawks trade down from 16, pick up a day 2 pick and use that on a QB.
That's possible, I've seen mocks like that. JS has us baffled TBH, we just don't know what the plan is.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's possible, I've seen mocks like that. JS has us baffled TBH, we just don't know what the plan is.

I think he wants to grab a QB of the future. He may really love Penix or McCarthy or Nix but he also knows there is a significant chance that none of them are there. So he has to account for that. Which either means look for a different QB or be prepared to trade up.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he wants to grab a QB of the future. He may really love Penix or McCarthy or Nix but he also knows there is a significant chance that none of them are there. So he has to account for that. Which either means look for a different QB or be prepared to trade up.
Drafting a QB of the future seems like something JS would want to do but of course without reaching and this is where the lack of a second round pick complicates things, along with the number needs that he would want to fill. Kind of surprising that this is the third draft since the RW trade with all that excellent draft capitol they got for him and the Seahawks still have all these holes despite not using any of the draft capitol on a QB thus far.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafting a QB of the future seems like something JS would want to do but of course without reaching and this is where the lack of a second round pick complicates things, along with the number needs that he would want to fill. Kind of surprising that this is the third draft since the RW trade with all that excellent draft capitol they got for him and the Seahawks still have all these holes despite not using any of the draft capitol on a QB thus far.

Well hopefully Oluwatimi and Bradford can make some leaps this year with a new OL coach... we kind of need some of those mid round picks to step up a little bit. We spent a lot of early picks on EDGE and RB which is fine... even last year the two 1st rounders were skill positions. It also didn't help that we only had Denver's first in 2022 because we ditched ours for Adams :L Really sad we could've had Wilson (no need for JSN), Hamilton, or J. Davis.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also dying to see what MacDonald can get out of D. Hall... nearly a 1st round pick and he was barely getting snaps as the season went on...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree that the team has a ton of holes per se. I think, relative to the league, the team has a pretty good collection of talent. Of course it has holes just like all teams do.

They made a decision to not invest in QB because Pete was 70+ years old and wasn't going to do a full rebuild. They figured they could retool and be highly competitive with a competent QB.

But ultimately they failed at rebuilding the defense.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree that the team has a ton of holes per se. I think, relative to the league, the team has a pretty good collection of talent. Of course it has holes just like all teams do.

They made a decision to not invest in QB because Pete was 70+ years old and wasn't going to do a full rebuild. They figured they could retool and be highly competitive with a competent QB.

But ultimately they failed at rebuilding the defense.

We have some holes at ILB, one at FS, a bit on the DL, TE, and IOL, but it's not too bad.. and outside of DL those aren't SUPER expensive positions. You could argue we have a hole at QB, but JS seemed to indicate Geno is their guy this season.

I agree our defense has more talent than we think if we can resign Williams. Interestingly PFF had them ranked 14th (grades) yet we were one of the worst defenses in the league. That's an issue with scheme and coaching... and I think it's one of the reasons Carroll is gone. There was way too much talent on that team last year for us to be one of the worst defenses in the league with the 3rd worst 3rd down conversion rate allowed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some holes at ILB, one at FS, a bit on the DL, TE, and IOL, but it's not too bad.. and outside of DL those aren't SUPER expensive positions. You could argue we have a hole at QB, but JS seemed to indicate Geno is their guy this season.

I agree our defense has more talent than we think if we can resign Williams. Interestingly PFF had them ranked 14th (grades) yet we were one of the worst defenses in the league. That's an issue with scheme and coaching... and I think it's one of the reasons Carroll is gone. There was way too much talent on that team last year for us to be one of the worst defenses in the league with the 3rd worst 3rd down conversion rate allowed.
Pretty obvious that Clint Hurtt was a really bad DC, one of the worse in Seahawks history I'd say. Don't think the 3-4 was Pete's forte but he wanted to show he was open to changing things up. He just made a bad choice with hiring Hurtt and probably would of made a change at DC if still in charge.
I still personally feel the Seahawks roster is lacking vs their division rivals like the 49ers and Rams, but if the new staff can get the young players to step it up who knows what is possible.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty obvious that Clint Hurtt was a really bad DC, one of the worse in Seahawks history I'd say. Don't think the 3-4 was Pete's forte but he wanted to show he was open to changing things up. He just made a bad choice with hiring Hurtt and probably would of made a change at DC if still in charge.
I still personally feel the Seahawks roster is lacking vs their division rivals like the 49ers and Rams, but if the new staff can get the young players to step it up who knows what is possible.

Lots of people were saying that Ken Nortion was the worst DC in history. And before Kris Richard, although to a lesser extent.

The truth is that the defense was Pete's defense. And he simply failed to get the right pieces to fit his defense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of people were saying that Ken Nortion was the worst DC in history. And before Kris Richard, although to a lesser extent.

The truth is that the defense was Pete's defense. And he simply failed to get the right pieces to fit his defense.
Pete always seemed to prefer a 4-3 with some his own tweaks and yes those DC were criticized heavily also because frankly the defense been lacking for a long time and IMO is why Pete did the move to 3-4 which was a pretty drastic change and not really a defense that Pete was as well versed in and unfortunately neither was Hurtt. At the end of the day the HC has the responsibly for the results of both the coordinators but I feel folks over estimate just how hands on Pete ( and most HCs) was in developing either on a day to day bases. Coordinators have positions in the NFL ( and college) by necessity. Pete was more about the philosophy or approach of limiting turnovers, time of possession, giving up long plays on defense and not so much about the X's and O's as some here attribute to him.