• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Q. Which 2 teams have the worst pass defense in the NFL?

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A: Green Bay (400 passing yds allowed per game) and New England (381 passing yds. allowed per game). They're #1 and #2 respectively on this week's ESPN Power Rankings.

It would seem that if you have enough offense, a great secondary is not a prerequisite.
I was just examining the stats of the top teams to see what they might share in common.
Thoughts?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of it is that the teams they play also have to resort to passing more to play catch up.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of it is that the teams they play also have to resort to passing more to play catch up.

Carolina was leading GB up until sometime in the 3rd Quarter... and by Halftime Newton already had over 200 yards. So, I think your point works for the Patriots to an extent, but not so much for the Packers.

You also have to add in that the Packers played the Saints and the Patriots played the Chargers, two teams with bigtime QBs and teams that lean on the pass to win.

Although with Collins going down for the year, GB's secondary should get even worse.

Back to the original post though, having a high powered offense has always covered up other weaknesses. The 49ers with Steve Young did that for a number of years, the Rams won a Super Bowl because nobody could keep up with their offense. Usually it catches up with the team in the playoffs though, like it always did for Young's 49ers. I think the 99 Rams are an anomaly, and the truth is they won by inches... so all they did was dodge a bullet.