• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Putting MY Stock in

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Tolzien out there with scrubs or not i just see a poise about the young guy that says future Star!! Kap is looking like :thumbsdown: to me jmo tho..

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely a big fan of Tolzein. I would hate to see us cut him, but It's still too early to tell on Kaepernick. He deserves to at least finish out his contract and get an opportunity before anyone can write him off. I'd like to see Tolzein get an opportunity as well if he keeps this up.

cwrector77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tolzien just gets it, nothing flashy or anything. I remember watching him with San Diego last year and thinking same thing about him then.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kap has tons of ability, i wouldn't give up on him being the qb of the future, but we might be talking a couple years before he's ready.

if smith was to get hurt, tolzien might be the man to start but then again how many qb's look good against 3rd stringers?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if I discount him for playing against 3rd stringers, I liked what I saw from him as a QB. He has shown undeniable poise in every game I've seen him in. He has that "something about him" factor. He intrigues me more than any other QB on our team. I hope we get to see him against stronger competition .

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Badger fan, I got to watch ST play a lot and he is a great leader, very accurate and doesnt make bad decesions. Hes not an NFL starter because his arm strength isnt that good and hes not all that athletic but can be a good back up in this league

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a lot of time left in the preseason. But i also am liking Tolzien and it looks like he will edge out Johnson and make the roster. Heck maybe even be 2nd behind smith.

Still lots of time left though. Would hate to let him go only to become a good QB for someone else. I bet the Cardinals would put try and grab him...

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Badger fan, I got to watch ST play a lot and he is a great leader, very accurate and doesnt make bad decesions. Hes not an NFL starter because his arm strength isnt that good and hes not all that athletic but can be a good back up in this league

In my mind intangibles and efficiency win out over strength. As long as he isn't throwing easy to pick off floaters, and can complete passes beyond 10 yards, then arm strength doesn't concern me as much. It's always nice to have, but I've never felt like it was damning.

Some quarterbacks aren't gunslingers, they are surgeons. I think Tolzien has some surgeon in him. I don't know where his ceiling is at, but I'm excited to see how he develops under Harbaugh.

He has shown accuracy, he seems to be making good reads, he gets the ball out quickly, and he's looks poised in the pocket. He may not have picture perfect mechanics, but he still looks strangely natural back there. Now Whitner is saying he has good leadership, and you can see he has some command out there. With experience and proper development each of these things should only get better.

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After game 1 i got my eyes on Tolzien, Owusu and Bakhiarti(sp?)

They have intrigued me a bit.

cwrector77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure if he will ever be a "long term" starter, but I think he'll be a good back up.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its always good for our team when some one shows talent, more so at QB. even if we lose Tolzien, that shows Kap and JJ are even better.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't seen the game yet, but I think Tolzien has a good chance of beating out Johnson. If he keeps playing well, the Niners aren't going to be willing to risk losing him by trying to put him on the PS. Johnson still doesn't seem comfortable in the pocket after four years in the league. He's got more upside, but a lower floor. As Kaepernick is already our high-upside young guy to groom, seems like Tolzien makes more sense to hang onto.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I haven't seen the game yet, but I think Tolzien has a good chance of beating out Johnson. If he keeps playing well, the Niners aren't going to be willing to risk losing him by trying to put him on the PS. Johnson still doesn't seem comfortable in the pocket after four years in the league. He's got more upside, but a lower floor. As Kaepernick is already our high-upside young guy to groom, seems like Tolzien makes more sense to hang onto.

Agree!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

there are three pre-season games left, so we'll see how it goes? don't have a favorite back-up candidate, just glad there are good performances vice none. for all we know JJ is the one who does well this Saturday?

we have to keep our best and IF that player is Tolzien, agree don't place him on the PS. IF we have to cut JJ, then cut him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
one more comment........this ISN'T likely but throwing it out anyway........IF it turns out both Tolzien and JJ are projected better than Kap, then cut KAP. would this look bad? yes! would this 'sting' and generate tons of comments? yes! would this message board go crazy? yes!

in the big picture - looking beyond this season - you have to win games. as the GM and HC, you do what you need to do to win games. the fan base will be disturbed short term, but if you continue to win..............winning "cures all ills".

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hopefully one day he will be as good as Cleo Lemon.

Never, ever judge anything about a QB by a pre-season game.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
there are three pre-season games left, so we'll see how it goes? don't have a favorite back-up candidate, just glad there are good performances vice none. for all we know JJ is the one who does well this Saturday?

we have to keep our best and IF that player is Tolzien, agree don't place him on the PS. IF we have to cut JJ, then cut him.

There's plenty of preseason left, but going into camp I gave Johnson the advantage. At this point, I think Tolzien is leading the competition. Of course nothing is final at this point, but I think Tolzien profiles as a more likely backup, and very possibly as the better player overall.