• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Purposely Not Scoring

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy that is not true.

I guarantee you everyone on the coaching staff was screaming at Chubb to get down once he broke free. The coach fell on the sword and said "he didnt tell Chubb". But he shouldnt need to. Everyone knows that if you are up only 1 score, you dont score in that situation. Even Chubb knows that.

In fact he's been there before......

That's why Chubb came out and said he cost them the game. Because he should flat out know better.
I disagree. You don't deny a 2 possession lead in the waning moments of a game. Even if they run a few more plays they run the risk of not even getting that TD, and there's no guarantee the FG would even be made. Without that TD or FG there was no need for the onside kick because it would have been a 1 possession game. It took the Jets about 30sec to get that first TD to pull within 1 score.

Yes they could have increased their odds of winning by draining the clock & kicking the FG. But again... Who really believes that a team could cough up a 2 possession lead within the final 2 minutes? The odds of that happening are very slim. The odds of an onside kick alone are ridiculously bad.

This is not on Chubb. Not even remotely. In my mind its Chubb falling on the sword here by taking responsibility.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It serves as a harsh reminder that NFL teams can't coach defense with a lead late. That TD that the Browns gave up to Corey Davis was ludicrous. Chubb deserves NONE of the blame for that loss.
I mean, if you want to blame the coaches for not telling him (if they really didn't) or want to say still should have won then sure....but if you have a chance to go into victory formation you take it. And we didn't.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe kicker shouldnt have missed the extra point
defense not give up 2 tds
bisquit boy not throw a pick to end the game
2 min left u score:suds:
If you have these options, you take option a?

a) Give opponent the ball down 2 TDs with a little under 2 minutes left
b) go into victory formation

FYI, in a similar situation against Houston he made the right football play and didn't score when he was running free for a TD.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true. To lose that game required a collapse by the defense AND giving up the onside kick. The Browns are a cursed franchise because they don’t understand value at key positions and they keep making the same mistakes. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they traded Chubb away for a 6th round pick.
which key positions do they not understand value?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the kicker makes an extra point, the defense doesnt turn into swiss cheese and they dont allow an onside kick; then we dont need point random fingers. But since those all happened I guess we blame someone that had nothing with any of those things happening. Makes sense
This is all true....but also true if he does not score it's game over.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. I've heard everyone blaming Chubb and it's ridiculous. The Browns gave up an absolutely indefensible blown coverage and then they gave up an onside kick. Defense and special teams are much more to blame.
agree.....but don't score and it's game over. Want to blame coaches for not telling him? That's an option too.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its certainly not Chubbs fault for doing a good thing instead of the best thing. Like a QB missing a guy downfield but hitting someone in stride for a 1st down. Chubb made a good play but maybe also started a string of events that caused his team to lose.

Its the team's fault. But also, I suspect that next time Chubb will make the better play
well put....and with a similar choice in a previous game against Houston he went OOB instead of scoring.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. You don't deny a 2 possession lead in the waning moments of a game. Even if they run a few more plays they run the risk of not even getting that TD, and there's no guarantee the FG would even be made. Without that TD or FG there was no need for the onside kick because it would have been a 1 possession game. It took the Jets about 30sec to get that first TD to pull within 1 score.

Yes they could have increased their odds of winning by draining the clock & kicking the FG. But again... Who really believes that a team could cough up a 2 possession lead within the final 2 minutes? The odds of that happening are very slim. The odds of an onside kick alone are ridiculously bad.

This is not on Chubb. Not even remotely. In my mind its Chubb falling on the sword here by taking responsibility.
would not have needed a FG to be made. Once they got the first they'd have been going into victory formation.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been talk about scoring with 1:55 to play when they could have run the clock out. At that point, they were up 23 to 17. Once he did score, don’t you think they should’ve gone for two? Because if they fail on the two point conversion, they are up 29 to 17 and you would need two touchdowns to win. But if he gets it, then the best the other team can do is tie (unless they converted to point conversion). Getting the 1pt pta didn’t accomplish anything.

Or just, ya know, play defense

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just, ya know, play defense
There's that, too.....Or recover the onside kick. But if I have these 2 choices, I'm choosing option b

a) give opponent the ball with a 2 TD lead and just under 2 minutes left
b) victory formation up by 7

Coily1

Reported to Moderḁtors
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,007.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just say you don't know and leave it at that, I guess. If making it up as you go I'd urge you to be more creative.
People more interested than me have already done a much more thorough job:

Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-10.43.23-PM.png
63c917be2438a7b575e94f69d826be8e.jpg

s-l500.png

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think missing the pat and not recovering the onside kick was the bigger problem

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 of the reasons I loved Gurley when he was with the Rams was because he would put the team's interests above his own personal glory. Then he went to the Falcons, he put himself above the team, and cost that team at least 1 win.

It's very simple. If you have a choice between personal glory and a 99.5% win probability or no personal glory and a 100% win probability - you pick the 100% win probability.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People more interested than me have already done a much more thorough job:

Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-10.43.23-PM.png
63c917be2438a7b575e94f69d826be8e.jpg

s-l500.png

your missing the brisket. Also, technically so far Watson hasnt started for the Browns

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 of the reasons I loved Gurley when he was with the Rams was because he would put the team's interests above his own personal glory. Then he went to the Falcons, he put himself above the team, and cost that team at least 1 win.

It's very simple. If you have a choice between personal glory and a 99.5% win probability or no personal glory and a 100% win probability - you pick the 100% win probability.

IDK.... sure, it is common knowledge that the easiest way to control the clock is when you have the ball... But if you are absolutely confident in a win, is scoring really selfish?? sometimes hindsight blinds us from the obvious... if the Browns won that game, Hunt would have been the applauded for having such a huge game and the TD to close the game out....

I think we all would agree that him scoring was one of the many factors to why they lost... but to expect anything else from him is just being naive.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK.... sure, it is common knowledge that the easiest way to control the clock is when you have the ball... But if you are absolutely confident in a win, is scoring really selfish?? sometimes hindsight blinds us from the obvious... if the Browns won that game, Hunt would have been the applauded for having such a huge game and the TD to close the game out....

I think we all would agree that him scoring was one of the many factors to why they lost... but to expect anything else from him is just being naive.
There was a choice between having 3 kneel-downs to win or playing maybe 10 plays at full speed where you can get injuries. I'm still pissed at Joe Judge running a hurry-up offense against the Rams in 2021 down 5 TDs with 6 minutes to play. The Rams had a good player hurt in the last minute because of that BS. I'm normally pissed at those who recklessly put other people's health on the line just for their own personal glory.

Hunt had been in that situation before and he knew better. Maybe he had playoff ambitions before but he only has personal ambitions on this Browns team. Given the contract impass and refusal to trade him maybe I should have seen this coming.