• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pulled kicking and screaming.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally get it. This daft sealed it. I have been focusing on the QB as our greatest need. Wrong. Probably because of my memories of the GSOT and us drafting a Superstar QB. (sic) But that was BF. (before Fisher) We are gonna play smashmouth football on both sides of the ball. We will run,run,run, and ps

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally get it. This draft sealed it. I have been focusing on the QB as our greatest need. Wrong. Probably because of my memories of the GSOT and us drafting a Superstar QB. (sic) But that was BF. (before Fisher) We are gonna play smashmouth football on both sides of the ball. We will run,run,run, and ps[/QUOTE pass sparingly and in desperation or too stretch the field now and then. Our WRs will be blockers and decoys. Called upon on rare occasions. For those worried about Bradford don't. He will be a game manager not a game changer. Called upon to hand the ball off, pass rarely and limit mental mistakes. This is the football of my youth many 7 to 3 and 10 to 7 games.. Our biggest fear will be super high powered offenses that score early and often. Playing from behind will be tough for us. Our biggest test now will be addressing general team disciple and penalties. Fisher may throw in a few gadget plays to keep things spicy we shall see. sorry for the double post.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rams' first two picks were great. Bradford hasn't exactly has a strong supporting cast on the Oline. The Rams played extremely well lasts year and lost some close games that could have gone either way. I don't think it's a stretch to expects an 11 win season.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rams' first two picks were great. Bradford hasn't exactly has a strong supporting cast on the Oline. The Rams played extremely well lasts year and lost some close games that could have gone either way. I don't think it's a stretch to expects an 11 win season.
We will take 11 wins no problem.:lol:

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reminds me of high school, although the year after i left they did make the playoffs.
(granted they threw like 2 passes a game...)

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, ozark. Persoanlly, growing up in the '80s and '90s, this is the kind of football I love to see. Smash-mouth, hard-hitting, physical domination of your opponent. Damn all this "quarterback driven league" nonsense. The fantasy footballers can have that.

Football has, and always will be a game of brute force. If you don't believe me, try telling the Seahawks it isn't.

I'm not going to go all "rose colored glasses" on everyone and start talkin' Super Bowls and what-not. Having been a Rams fan for 30+ (a lot of them miserable. Lol) years... I need to see the results. But, I am excited to see how this all plays out. LET'S GO RAMS!!!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by how the QBs were drafted (and the general consensus) I don't believe any of these guys are really franchise saving QBs. When the top celebrated QB gets drafted in the same slot as Brandon Weeden, JP Losman, Brady Quinn, and Rex Grossman in recent drafts, that's not a good sign. The first QB drafted (Bortles at #3) was overdrafted, but the Jags got their guy (likely could've traded down and still gotten him).

It certainly looks like the Rams are finally going to be playing NFC West football (smash-mouth on both sides). I would've liked to see an OG candidate to groom for depth (if/when Robinson shifts to OT), but I guess they either aren't intending for that this season and will address it next offseason/draft, or that's where they see Jones fitting. The Stacy/Mason combo ought to prove very effective.

There is a need for balance, so I hope guys like Quick and Givens come around and truly emerge (re-emerge for Givens), and that they properly utilize Tavon. Still need to sort out that secondary a bit, and will need to add a linebacker next year, but the trenches are looking very strong.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Fisher was hired we all knew the name of the game was going to be run the ball and play good defense. I'm just surprised it took this long to become this obvious.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additionally, if Stacey and Mason are hitting the holes hard, and there should be some nice holes, then it will make Tavon all that much harder to stop. We all know Sam is comfortable and even thrives in play-action. Pound the rock and then play action pass to guys with the speed of Tavon, Givens, and Bailey. These WR's are young and still need growth and the run game could really take off this year, I see no reason for anything but optimism.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Filthy Four are going to make life hell for Kaep,Wilson and Palmer.... control the clock and hit the quarterback = 11 wins and a playoff spot!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened to the elite eight?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm leaning with Mutigers here and think we are building a team that is made up more like our top divisional foes which just so happen to have played in the last two superbowls so why the hell not.

The make up that I'm am referring to is a team designed to dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball run it down your throat, play smash mouth defense and have the playmakers on offense to make the big play when needed.

When you dominate on the defensive side of the ball, run it well to control the clock and move the chains, dudes like Tavon, Cook, Britt, Givens & of course Bradford will benefit from that running game. This approach will put defenses on their heels and with some good playcalling even those dinks will turn into big plays.

Anyone remember those shorties from Montana to Rice and Taylor LOL. Those two yard dinks and dunks turned into 50 yard TD's. That said, we know Fisher will take his shots down the field too!

It's gonna be an exciting time to be a Rams fan!

I can't wait!

:suds:

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bernie Miklasz:

I respect Fisher and supported his hiring. Following a five-season stretch in which the Rams won 15 games (total), Fisher has managed to win 14 games in his two years. That’s progress.

Here’s my question: While Fisher is capable of getting the Rams to a certain point, will his philosophy produce consistent success over the long term?

Over his last nine seasons as an NFL head coach, Fisher has had two winning records.

In his first nine seasons as a head coach, Fisher’s winning percentage was .604.

Over his last nine seasons as head coach, Fisher’s winning percentage is .475.

I’m not suggesting that all of this is his fault. Fisher worked for a meddling owner in Tennessee, and the coach inherited a terrible team in St. Louis.

There is a common thread, however. Fisher’s teams haven’t scored enough points to win consistently

Over his final seven seasons at Tennessee, the Titans ranked 17th in points and 18th in touchdowns from scrimmage. Over his first two seasons in St. Louis, the Rams have ranked 25th in points and 27th in touchdowns from scrimmage.

So while Fisher’s way of football is certainly competitive and in line with what we see in San Francisco and Seattle, there are differences. The 49ers and Seahawks have physical, ground-based offenses but also score more points than the Rams.

In my opinion the edge can be directly traced to the multi-dimensional play that the Rams’ rivals possess at the quarterback position. Seattle’s Russell Wilson and San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick use their mobility to run for first downs or escape containment to make connections on downfield throws.

This is a matter of preference. Seattle coach Pete Carroll and San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh want quarterbacks who can make plays with their feet, and Fisher remains committed to Sam Bradford’s pocket-passer prototype.

In the games with Bradford at quarterback, the Rams have held their own against the 49ers and the Seahawks over the past two seasons, going 2-2-1. But keep in mind that the Rams limited the Seahawks and the 49ers to 13 points in each of the two victories.

In eight combined games against St. Louis, Wilson and Kaepernick have a passer rating of 97 and have rushed for 279 yards, 16 first downs and two touchdowns. The Rams’ two rivals have a decided advantage in the quarterback matchup.

Fisher’s foundation of physical football is a solid platform to build on. And I recognize that he’s still building, and that the Rams remain a work in progress, and that some of the Rams’ young receivers could still develop into playmakers.

Still, unless the Rams can have a more diversified attack that finds the end zone with more regularity, it’s hard to see how they’ll manage to become the dominant team in these fierce turf wars with Seattle and San Francisco.

Of course, that’s based on the assumption of the ’Niners and Seahawks maintaining recent offensive form and production.

Over the past two seasons combined, here are each team’s touchdowns from scrimmage and respective league ranking:

Seattle: 84 touchdowns, ranked sixth.
San Francisco: 79 touchdowns, tied for 11th.
St. Louis: 59 touchdowns, 27th.

(I didn’t include Arizona in the two-year look because head coach Bruce Arians didn’t take over until last season, going 10-6 in his first year. One of his first moves was to sign quarterback Carson Palmer. After scoring only 21 offensive touchdowns in 2012, the Cardinals jumped to 36 TDs in 2013. That ranked 20th.)

I really like Fisher’s latest draft and how the players fit his philosophy. But now we have to wait and see if the philosophy can lead to a run of winning records and playoff trips.

The Rams haven’t had a winning season since 2003. Fisher hasn’t won a playoff game since 2003.

That’s a long time ago.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Fisher’s foundation of physical football is a solid platform to build on. And I recognize that he’s still building, and that the Rams remain a work in progress, and that some of the Rams’ young receivers could still develop into playmakers.

Still, unless the Rams can have a more diversified attack that finds the end zone with more regularity, it’s hard to see how they’ll manage to become the dominant team in these fierce turf wars with Seattle and San Francisco.

Of course, that’s based on the assumption of the ’Niners and Seahawks maintaining recent offensive form and production."

This is what has to be addressed and SJ has a valid point. Until it is, we are going to progress a whole lot in the NFCW.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I wasn't saying yea or nay on Fishers type of ball. More of a general acceptance of what will be. And for those so worried about Bradford don't be ,he will only carry out a journeyman role. We will compete. And win more games. But we don't have dynamic playmakers on the outside so we may reach the summit but at this time we will not cross over.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying, anything Bernie writes I don't read because the guy has proven to write for response and not intelligence.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Rams are gonna do the 1960's George Allen type style. The new fearsome foursome Stoping the run and putting pressure on the QB. Then have little quick DB's ball hawking. On offense they'll Eat time running the ball. keeping the ball away from the other team. Then Bradford can hit some deep ones when the D comes up to stop the run. Kicking game is good too. Punt the ball deep and kick long FG's if the offense stalls. George Allen won alot of games that way. Most teams nowadays aren't geared to stop that style of play. Just might work.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Rams are gonna do the 1960's George Allen type style. The new fearsome foursome Stoping the run and putting pressure on the QB. Then have little quick DB's ball hawking. On offense they'll Eat time running the ball. keeping the ball away from the other team. Then Bradford can hit some deep ones when the D comes up to stop the run. Kicking game is good too. Punt the ball deep and kick long FG's if the offense stalls. George Allen won alot of games that way. Most teams nowadays aren't geared to stop that style of play. Just might work.

If that would work that would really be great. I am old-school and I always preferred the more physical, intimidating methods of winning games. After all, that's what football is supposed to be about---physically and mentally beating your opponent. I'd love to see it Chili. I just fear, Seattle's win this year notwithstanding, that that style is no longer practical in a league that has a commissioner that implements rules to hinder the defense and get every game score into the 50's. Welcome to the modern day NFL/NBA.