• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PSU vs SU

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping to drag a Penn State fan or two into the mix. I'll go on record to say SU's going to shock all the Penn State fans. SU is being dismissed. When this game is over, PSU fans are going to take a lot of shit. It's going to hurt some feelings.

But understand right now. SU is much better than your papers are reading. I expect a very close game at the half...which is going to be the first shock of the day for folks.

The second half is going to tilt SU's direction. Get ready for 4 quarters of football follks.

SU wins this one.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough opener for both. PSU with new QB. Syracuse with new coach. Tough call, but I think PSU finds a way.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough opener for both. PSU with new QB. Syracuse with new coach. Tough call, but I think PSU finds a way.

PSU is favored by 8. Even though they are in year two of one of the worst NCAA sanctions in the history of the game, they are still favored by more than a touchdown. That speaks volumes to just how bad SU is supposed to be. This game is supposed to be all PSU right from the snap.

SU's taking it to em. Not because of the sanctions, but because SU is better than billed.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSU is favored by 8. Even though they are in year two of one of the worst NCAA sanctions in the history of the game, they are still favored by more than a touchdown. That speaks volumes to just how bad SU is supposed to be. This game is supposed to be all PSU right from the snap.

SU's taking it to em. Not because of the sanctions, but because SU is better than billed.

Remember that number is a reflection of bettors, not necessarily who will win the game. It is designed to keep the money even on both sides so the house doesn't take a bath.

Isn't SU starting a new QB, too?

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that number is a reflection of bettors, not necessarily who will win the game. It is designed to keep the money even on both sides so the house doesn't take a bath.

Isn't SU starting a new QB, too?

Good and valid point.

Yes....It's down to Drew Allen and Terrell Hunt. Everyone is thinking it's going to be Allen. Both are better than Nassib who was last year's QB.

So yes, SU is starting a new QB. But that position is not going to miss a beat. I'm not so sure PSU can make that same claim.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good and valid point.

Yes....It's down to Drew Allen and Terrell Hunt. Everyone is thinking it's going to be Allen. Both are better than Nassib who was last year's QB.

So yes, SU is starting a new QB. But that position is not going to miss a beat. I'm not so sure PSU can make that same claim.

They have one of the best freshmen pro-style qb's in all of college football. If someone else on the roster beats him out, I think they will be ok.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have one of the best freshmen pro-style qb's in all of college football. If someone else on the roster beats him out, I think they will be ok.

Oh....they will be ok. Hackenberg looks very f'n good to me. But he is a true freshman taking his first snap in D1. We'll see how his looks relate to the field. Ferguson is a JUCO transfer and is having a problem beating out a true freshman.

I'm not saying they are poor QB's, just saying they are not as good as either of SU's QB's....today. Hackenberg has the look of one that will be a great QB one day. Just not this Saturday.

Allen is a fifth year senior transfer from Oklahoma. Though he's not taken snaps at the D1 level, he is a big kid who today will be just fine in this game. He was highly recruited out of high school. He just sat behind some really good kids.

So I like where I'm heading here. My first snap fifth year senior versus their first snap true freshman. I like my odds in this debate.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Penn State fans.....All of you can't still be sleeping.

SU's spanking dat ass.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just dont get how SU doesnt get respect. they went 8-5 last year with a slate of 12 BCS teams and dominated louisville & wvu last year and wvu in the year before that.

i just dont get how all the ACC bloggers put us at or below BC but then put pitt as a middle of the pack ACC team.

syracuse.com did a great article about the ACC bias against syracuse when they interviewed reporters about syracuse during ACC media days and found that only 20% of them knew where syracuse finished in the big east standings last season (they were tied for first place).

i have remained adamant that SU is gonna surprise a lot of people this year. and i think we are gonna knock off clemson.

-we play them early in the season and they will have the mentality that we are similar to BC and will underrate us and not adequately prepare. (the clemson coach admitted during ACC media days that he didnt know where syracuse is located and that just shows the extent of how much the ACC is overlooking us)

-we play them at home which will be their first time in the dome. its called the loud house for a reason and is easily one of the loudest stadiums in the nation when full. I dont think they will realize just how hard it is to play in that stadium. louisville & wvu in the years they won BCS bowls both lost badly in the dome.

yes i know we have a QB controversy & a new coach. but we have those issues for good reasons. these guys didnt leave because they were terrible but because they are now in the NFL. we dont have issues at QB because both of our guys are terrible but because one is a senior QB transfer from oklahoma & the other is a sophomore whose the future of this program. competition is good and having the pressure of a new coach is good.

we have knocked off the top big east team 4 times in the last 4 years, during those 4 years the BE was statistically better than the ACC. we have had a 1,000 yard rusher in each of the last 5 seasons and are two top running backs are returning seniors who combined for 2,000 yards last season and their backups are more than capable.

i really like this team against the acc because they are so unfamiliar with us and vastly under rates us. our style of play is unusual in the acc. its been a while since they have seen a team that cycles running backs the way we do + a passing game that can explode at times.

i cant make a prediction in the psu game because psu & SU play each other all the time plus my penn state homerism might play a little bit of a factor as well. but i think this SU team will absolutely clobber clemson only to lay and egg against WF then freeze like a deer in the headlights against FSU

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post john.

Still looking for linebacker U. Now's the time to talk smack. Talking smack on Sunday is redundant. The players already did the talking.

Good fans do the talking before the game. Chumps wait till after the game.

SU 13 - PSU 6. That's right....PSU is only going to put up 6 against a cellar dwellar from the ACC.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hackenberg looks great; however, that's practice. We shall see what game time brings. Our guy, Driskel, also a big kid, 5 star player looked unbeatable in practice and we all know how that turned out. I take the points and the Orange all day long in this one. Also Syracuse is a different team playing in New York even though this one is not in the Dome. Hackenberg is a passer and if he is unable to play his game, Syracuse will continue to get the ball back and eventually that great running game will wear down the Nittany Lyons and the 4th quarter will get ugly for the Penn State folks. The Orange 20-14

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Penn State fans.....All of you can't still be sleeping.

SU's spanking dat ass.

Eh.. Never been big on smack talking. Much more to lose than gain. Not sure what to expect out of this game but I hear Hack will start & Ferg will play a little. The D is a little suspect & we are 1 injury away at every position from serious issues . An 8 pt spread seems high to me.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh.. Never been big on smack talking. Much more to lose than gain. Not sure what to expect out of this game but I hear Hack will start & Ferg will play a little. The D is a little suspect & we are 1 injury away at every position from serious issues . An 8 pt spread seems high to me.

Now this I can agree with...cept the talking smack part. I love pregame. I'm not sure what you mean about having much more to lose than gain. Reputation? I like my reputation near the gutter anyways. :yahoo:

Similar QB issues with both teams. I'm hearing the same. Our big stud will be starting with Hunt coming in for different looks. But the coach didn't tell me squat.

wingman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Runeman is on target......too much inexperience for hackenberg and too much running for syracuse

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, here's Runeman's thoughts on the game...

I think the dismissal of Syracuse is because they are going to be adjusting to almost all new teams. Everybody else in the ACC only has to get ready for one or two new faces, Pitt and Cuse have to prepare for six or seven new ones (couldn't say they are still familiar with Miami, BC and VPI...)

This is what they said about Nebraska when they joined the B1G, but the Huskers acquitted themselves pretty well in their first couple of years. No reason that Syracuse or Pitt can't do well, either...but i would belay that "we're going to beat Clemson" talk for right now.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure why it should be any more difficult for Syracuse to adjust to the ACC teams than the ACC teams having to adjust to Syracuse. Seems like a level playing field to me. I happen to like Syracuse and believe they are not getting any respect. Don't think they are ready for Clemson, however very few teams are. The rest of the ACC is doable and Syracuse should be just fine.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the dismissal of Syracuse is because they are going to be adjusting to almost all new teams. Everybody else in the ACC only has to get ready for one or two new faces, Pitt and Cuse have to prepare for six or seven new ones (couldn't say they are still familiar with Miami, BC and VPI...)

This is what they said about Nebraska when they joined the B1G, but the Huskers acquitted themselves pretty well in their first couple of years. No reason that Syracuse or Pitt can't do well, either...but i would belay that "we're going to beat Clemson" talk for right now.

Not really sure why it should be any more difficult for Syracuse to adjust to the ACC teams than the ACC teams having to adjust to Syracuse. Seems like a level playing field to me. I happen to like Syracuse and believe they are not getting any respect. Don't think they are ready for Clemson, however very few teams are. The rest of the ACC is doable and Syracuse should be just fine.

A few months ago, I made the comments that are similar to what's reflected in Huwaryu's post. SU has no SU vs them game film on most of the ACC so have to start from scratch every weekend. The ACC teams only have to prep for SU once. Like Huw....I think that will take a toll on the coaching staff and may reflect on the field.

Nebraska was a great example.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping to drag a Penn State fan or two into the mix. I'll go on record to say SU's going to shock all the Penn State fans. SU is being dismissed. When this game is over, PSU fans are going to take a lot of shit. It's going to hurt some feelings.

But understand right now. SU is much better than your papers are reading. I expect a very close game at the half...which is going to be the first shock of the day for folks.

The second half is going to tilt SU's direction. Get ready for 4 quarters of football follks.

SU wins this one.

Lived in Syracuse when Jim Brown and Ernie Davis played. Those were the days. I give Syracuse a decent chance.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

from what i heard from nebraska fans about it their theory was that in the b12 nebraska dominated their division and only a few teams would "punch back" as they called it. but in the b10 nebraska wasnt used to playing teams that "punch back" week in week out. while UNL did well in the b10 they didnt do as well as expected (they went 5-3 in yr #1).

i never really saw the "facing new teams we dont know" as the main reason as to why schools dont do as well. a team changes each year as coaches build playbooks around their players strengths and weakness in the offseason & regular season. a good coach will adequately prepare for any team especially a new coach in a new conference. in this day in age you have every play a team runs on film. you can easily find a teams tendencies and with the athletic budgets these days having guys just to look at that film is considered the norm. its not like the old days where the only way to know a team was to play them consistently. i think your mentality is too much of an old school mentality. at the end of the day id rather be the team with a chip on their shoulder than the team who thinks they are playing "an inferior northern team from that weak big east conference". while syracuse doesnt know any acc teams, the acc doesnt know syracuse either. so any trade off that were to exist here works both ways imo.

i think bigger reasons are adjusting to a a harder conference, a conference with different styles of play, and having to recruit differently are by far more important factors

adjusting to a harder conference
-you can say and with stats to back it up that the BE was better than the ACC. obviously a lot of people will say the ACC is stronger but its by no means heads and shoulders a better conference.
-SU certainly softens that blow with their experience against top programs. they had 3 bowl teams on the ooc last year and in the last 5 years they have played usc & psu a combined 4x. they are clearly not new to facing programs like fsu & clemson

a conference with different styles of play
i think the advantage goes to syracuse here. their style of play is new to the acc and the acc will have to adjust to it. southern teams strength is speed. however speed can contain a high profile passing offense. but if you opponent insists on cycling RBs and ramming it up the middle on every play then speed becomes useless. as for SU on defense they have shut down some high profile passing offenses in wvu & lousiville lately. they are not exactly new to those types of ACC offenses.

recruiting
SU traditionally recruits south florida hard. the acc now gives us access to not only FL but the entire south and i for one am glad to have those area's. SU drastically increased its recruiting blueprint with this move.

if we were going to the b10 id say we are screwed. but because its the acc i think SU is gonna see a lot of improvement and growth with our program. a lot of it is luck and things coming together at the right time. we were lucky to have are two best running backs return for their senior season putting together the best running back class that SU has had in a long time. we had uncertainty at QB and with our luck managed to get the best QB available this offseason in transfer drew allen. a lot of good things are coming together for cuse and all in year #1 of the ACC. heck we may lose to psu and maybe another ooc game as well, but in typical SU fashion we will staring rolling in conf. play

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shameless bump. Where are ya Penn State?