• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PRT (pens related): the core

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, so we've been hearing about the core for ages. we have a young core that's strong down the middle (sid, geno, staalsie) and has offensive defensemen (letang, gogo, gonch) but...at what point does the core get broken up? i'm not starting this because the pens lost...it happens to some of the best teams (the oilers, isles, and pens of old lost some series no one thought they would) i'm starting because i'm curious at what point would you switch things up? it's a tough decision, and i'm glad i'm not GM with these types of things.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i am not a pens fans although i doubt the core is broken up. maybe a player here or there. it all depends on their needs. maybe one day they get rid of staal to get a top winger. who knows.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I doubt Gonchar is back, but he is not part of the young core. As for the centers, there is a thread on my thoughts but it involves fielding offers for Geno

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do you see gonch taking a discount? early in the season and even in the later stages of the regular season i was hoping for a gonch extension, but his play in the postseason did nothing for me. all i took was the shortie in game 7 to change my mind. that, and there are much more solid Dmen out there for 3-5 million dollars (i'd rather hamius or *crosses fingers* volchenkov)

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Volchenkov would be a great pickup for the Pens but I doubt it'll happen. I wouldn't consider Gonchar as part of the "core" but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave either. As for the centers, I think Pens should keep them all for as long as possible. I don't think Shero has any desire to part with any of them, so no worries for me.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
do you see gonch taking a discount? early in the season and even in the later stages of the regular season i was hoping for a gonch extension, but his play in the postseason did nothing for me. all i took was the shortie in game 7 to change my mind. that, and there are much more solid Dmen out there for 3-5 million dollars (i'd rather hamius or *crosses fingers* volchenkov)

Word was the Pens talked to him but he is looking for what he sees as market value. Which appears to be his current salary for an period over 3 seasons. If that is the case then he needs to look elsewhere. He has not played enough the last few seasons to be counted on as a top 4 d man. And 5 mil is just ridiculous for an aging pylon with some offensive ability.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CoresDiagram.jpg

Depends. Are you talking about the outer core or inner core?