• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Props to Golden Tate...........

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I was wrong about Tate, the player. Worth every penny. But $6 mil per year is still a lot for a #2 WR on a team that's restructuring players every year, especially when the draft directly following the acquisition was not only projected to be strong at WR, but turned out that way as well. Don't know how else I can say it. Its not just an Ebron thing. A lot of us liked Jordan Matthews in the 2nd. I'd still like him over Tate with the salary difference. Not a knock on Van Noy either, I did love that pick.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Verner, the DB. I would've spent Tate's $ there. Last I heard, Verner wasn't doing the best this year. So I would've been wrong there. I have no problem saying I was wrong tbh.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will agree the lions have too much money tied up in too few players but they arent going to win the super bowl signing free agents anyhow, they win the super bowl by drafting well. I see what you are saying. Six million for the teams offensive mvp though, not too bad. Guy was the reason their offense was good enough to make the playoffs.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they win the super bowl by drafting well

So what I hear you saying is no SB until Mayhew is gone?

If the time is now for us to be a legit contender then we cant have another first rounder who brings us as little as Error Ewrong did.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, shame we have to give Ebron back after just one season.

Also, how come Mayhew gets zero credit for hitting the 2013 draft out of the park? He absolutely nailed it, no doubt about it.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, shame we have to give Ebron back after just one season.

Also, how come Mayhew gets zero credit for hitting the 2013 draft out of the park? He absolutely nailed it, no doubt about it.

:lame:
Not sure why you keep saying the same thing about having to give him back? Although I wish we could. He was a terrible, terrible pick who gave us nothing at all as a rookie. That's just a damn fact. He wears our jersey so we root for him but I wish he were wearing another teams.

Do you just pick out one event, like the 2013 draft, and use it as the basis of your point while excluding everything else? His entire body of work is far from impressive with many absolutely wasted picks.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People shouldnt have to toot their horn except for the fact that there were several here that vehemently hated the signing and most just stopped posting the tate hate instead of cowboyying up and admitting they were dead wrong.

Lp, I agree....I dont remember a peep about ANYBODY here talking odell up pre draft. A lot of the other two guys though, no odell.

You can name names laker, its okay.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because I was wrong about Tate, the player. Worth every penny. But $6 mil per year is still a lot for a #2 WR on a team that's restructuring players every year, especially when the draft directly following the acquisition was not only projected to be strong at WR, but turned out that way as well. Don't know how else I can say it. Its not just an Ebron thing. A lot of us liked Jordan Matthews in the 2nd. I'd still like him over Tate with the salary difference. Not a knock on Van Noy either, I did love that pick.

To be honest. I would much rather have Beckham Jr. Over Tate. Especially Tate getting 6mil per year vs Beckham getting 1mil and I think Beckham is only 21 years old too.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all would take OBJ over Tate. And I do think without Tate, OBJ would have been the choice. There were talks about OBJ, from Lions fans, before and after we took OBJ. Mainly stemming from Kiper. He said before, and during, the draft the Lions should've took OBJ. Kiper is notorious for being out there on some predictions, but have to give him credit on this one:

"FIRST ROUND (10th OVERALL): LSU WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.
Mel Kiper: I want impact, but I'm a little concerned with developmental learning curve and value of taking a CB here. It's also a little too high to take one of the safeties. And while I've added Golden Tate, if Calvin Johnson is out, this offense could stall. I'm targeting this potential star to round out my WR depth."

But to be fair to the Lions, OBJ(the prospect) was very similar to Golden Tate. Didn't make sense to draft him with Tate. Like i said, I do like Tate, now. We could've done a lot worse, though. And to think, when they signed him I was saying if they were spending money on a FA WR it should've been Eric Decker!

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said "Error Ewrong". Lmao. THAT was absolutely halarious......I admit. Lmao:lol:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was talk of OBJ to the Lions towards draft day. In fact, there was even talk how the Giants were high on Ebron with their pick. The Lions did express some interest in OBJ early as they talked with a bunch of WRs at the combine and such.

I like Tate and I was a little skeptical about the signing. Still need someone who can beat press coverage though..

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lame:
Not sure why you keep saying the same thing about having to give him back? Although I wish we could. He was a terrible, terrible pick who gave us nothing at all as a rookie. That's just a damn fact. He wears our jersey so we root for him but I wish he were wearing another teams.

Do you just pick out one event, like the 2013 draft, and use it as the basis of your point while excluding everything else? His entire body of work is far from impressive with many absolutely wasted picks.

That's why I keep saying that about having to give him back. He didn't produce much as a rookie. People act like that's it- that it's over because he didn't have a strong rookie season.

I don't like the pick either, there were several guys I would have drafted before Ebron. Doesn't mean it was a wasted pick already, though. Go look up good TEs in the game today; with the exception of Gronk, none of them really did much at all in their 1st year. I was pretty astounded when someone else pointed that out earlier this year and I started looking into it. Almost across the board rookie TEs historically don't produce well.

And I use the 2013 draft when people are being unreasonable about the success Mayhew has, or hasn't, had. Every GM misses on picks, or "wastes" them sometimes. A lot of people here have it in their head that Mayhew misses more than others, but when compared head to head with other GMs, that's just not the case. He had a horrible draft in 2011, but a stellar draft in 2013. 2012 is looking average right now.

It's just one of those things, I think, where Mayhew is under a microscope because we follow the Lions so closely, and people are quick to criticize him when they think he made the wrong decision, while they don't even realize that other GMs miss on just as many draft picks. It's just part of the beast. Look at the Packers and Patriots- two great organizations with lots of whiffs early in the draft. You wouldn't believe how many Packers fans feel the same way about Ted Thompson as you do about Mayhew.

I think Mayhew's body of work is entirely subjective. If you're someone who doesn't like him then you'll find plenty of negatives to latch on to. I find, and this is just my opinion, that when compared to the rest of the league that Mayhew is above average. He's certainly not in that upper-echelon, but he's been more successful than the median GM. He took over a gutted team, and we've now got a very talented roster and have had a 10 and an 11 win season during Mayhew's tenure.

Is he perfect? Fuck no, far from it. Could we do better? Yes, if we found the right guy. Could we do worse? Yes, very easily...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest. I would much rather have Beckham Jr. Over Tate. Especially Tate getting 6mil per year vs Beckham getting 1mil and I think Beckham is only 21 years old too.

Who wouldn't? But no one saw that coming. I picked up OBJR off waivers in my keeper weeks after our rookie draft.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wouldn't? But no one saw that coming. I picked up OBJR off waivers in my keeper weeks after our rookie draft.

OBJ won a lot of people money. Him and Russell Wilson won me $220 from a $40 investment.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucky bastard

Ironic part is I first drafted him in round 3 then dropped him, only to pick him back up right before he came off injury. Lucky indeed.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OBJ would not have the same numbers on the Lions. Apples to oranges IMO being 3rd option here and would have had less production if Cruz stays healthy.

Sometimes you need to look at the circumstances why stats get inflated. K. Benjamin was only option for the Panthers. Does not make him special WR just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate earned his cash last season.

usually I hate the big splash but without him the receiving corps would have been a complete bust this off season.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there were several here that vehemently hated the signing and most just stopped posting the tate hate instead of cowboyying up and admitting they were dead wrong.

I would like to point out -- I was wrong that we shouldn't have signed Tate, but I did say he would be good in our offense. I just felt the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

He definitely looks like a steal now though, which is why I put up my thread for him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go look up good TEs in the game today; with the exception of Gronk, none of them really did much at all in their 1st year.

Must step away from the keyboard or I'm about to go on another Ebron rant. :suds: