• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Proposed "Lowering the Helmet" Rule

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Having played football I think the NFL is going to have a very very hard time instituting this rule. You're basically asking players to overcome human instinct during purely instinctive moments.

I don't understand how they haven't proposed using helmets with about 6 inches of foam on the outside - much more than what Steve Wallace used in the 90s. Yes, it would look ridiculous but I'm sure when the league switched from leather helmets to the current models they thought that was silly too. Hockey players thought it was stupid to wear helmets at all or to wear a face shield. Race car drivers complained about all the restraints that have been put in cars. Of course, they all got over it pretty quickly and I think once it becomes accepted it's a non-issue.

I'm sure they could develop an extremely light weight material that could dissipate a ton of force. I think if the NFL is really going to get serious about this concussion matter a total redesign of the helmets that are used is the only logical next step.

If I were a player (especially a lineman!) I'd vote in favor of such a dramatic helmet change. You can't mess with brain injuries and if everyone is out there looking like an idiot with silly bubble helmets, fans and players would get over it pretty quickly. I just don't see a total solution to the head injury problem until they totally revamp the helmets that are used.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having played football I think the NFL is going to have a very very hard time instituting this rule. You're basically asking players to overcome human instinct during purely instinctive moments.

I don't understand how they haven't proposed using helmets with about 6 inches of foam on the outside - much more than what Steve Wallace used in the 90s. Yes, it would look ridiculous but I'm sure when the league switched from leather helmets to the current models they thought that was silly too. Hockey players thought it was stupid to wear helmets at all or to wear a face shield. Race car drivers complained about all the restraints that have been put in cars. Of course, they all got over it pretty quickly and I think once it becomes accepted it's a non-issue.

I'm sure they could develop an extremely light weight material that could dissipate a ton of force. I think if the NFL is really going to get serious about this concussion matter a total redesign of the helmets that are used is the only logical next step.

If I were a player (especially a lineman!) I'd vote in favor of such a dramatic helmet change. You can't mess with brain injuries and if everyone is out there looking like an idiot with silly bubble helmets, fans and players would get over it pretty quickly. I just don't see a total solution to the head injury problem until they totally revamp the helmets that are used.

Agreed. This will be a very difficult adjustment for running backs; nearly impossible.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a former RB, I absolutely hate the rule.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, Rathman44.

I'm truly afraid Goodell is gonna force this rule down our throats, through, but I really hope not. Asking someone to not lower their head (and potentially fining them for doing so) is ridiculous. Plus, this rule bothers me even further because giving refs the option to decide whether or not to call a flag because an infraction was "unintentional" is only going to lead to more bad calls, or no calls.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
soon the only football with hard hitting physical play will be the lingerie league

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a dumb rule. I can't believe they are actually considering this. Sometimes i think they are trying to ruin the game.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The owners' intentions are to improve player safety, which is critical for preserving the game, although I think their motivation is to avoid lawsuits rather than actually caring about their players' well-being. This is a good thing regardless of why they're doing it. I just don't think asking players to go against their instincts makes any sense at all. The changes need to come from improved safety equipment and a major investment from the owners in this arena will go a long way towards garnering the goals the players and owners ultimately desire.

Regardless of rule changes there eventually will be a collision on the field that will result in a player's death. We know this will dramatically change the sport forever, but why let it come to that? IMO they should improve the equipment by requiring bulky safety padding that may limit speed and functionality but ultimately save the game in the long run. Eventually we will all get use to it and the technology will improve to the point where the game will still essentially be the same yet safer.

All in all though I just don't see it happening with the leaders in place and the resistance to change. But I do think that's what it's going to take before there is a catastrophic play on the field that will lead to an overreaction that could damage the game for a long time.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_mjz5b9WLcV1qhub34o4_250.gif

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Questions:

1, Will it be a penalty if a runner does this in the middle of the field past the line of scrimmage?

2. How will he know if he's past the line of scrimmage when the contact is made?

3. How many people were injured last year from a hit made when a runner lowered his head?

4. Wouldn't this rule make it MORE dangerous? Now the runner basically can't defend himself from a big hit.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next rule will be that you can't lift your knees while running because you might knee someone in the head.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The irony is that it may very well be all the equipment that players wear in football that makes it such a dangerous game. If football players dressed like rugby players, I seriously doubt that you will see guys launching themselves at each other with such brutal force.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
653183660.gif

That's good stuff, would hate to see it go away.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony is that it may very well be all the equipment that players wear in football that makes it such a dangerous game. If football players dressed like rugby players, I seriously doubt that you will see guys launching themselves at each other with such brutal force.

Hellllo! We have a winner! Johnny, tell 'em what he has won! Not have you driven home the nail with one swing of the proverbial hammer, you earned massive extra points for the correct usage of the word, irony!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hellllo! We have a winner! Johnny, tell 'em what he has won! Not have you driven home the nail with one swing of the proverbial hammer, you earned massive extra points for the correct usage of the word, irony!

LOL. Thanks, bro.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yay Goodall more destroying the game. Why not just complete the transition and make it two hand touch. Cant do flag football someone might break a nail or strain a wrist trying to grab said flag. Sadly this move isn't really to protect the players its to protect the owners from lawsuits. What these jackassess don't understand is that as a runner you lower your shoulders... something amazing happens... your head follows. And by doing that your protecting yourself. Can't the stupid retarded liberal pussies stick to ruining the country and leave football alone. Coming next... Every Team gets a Lombardi trophy at the end of the year...

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still trying to understand this.

Among everything said above, lowering the shoulders, while trying to keep the helmet from lowering, is going to cause an offensive player to break their neck.

I wish I could lower MY helmet towards Goodell's ass as I tackled him, cause that's where he seems to keep his head.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
653183660.gif

That's good stuff, would hate to see it go away.

Goodell says preventing plays like this help to protect the defender from major injury when in fact it's the RB who is most susceptible to a spinal cord injury when his spine is aligned liked this.