• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Projecting NFC standings - ESPN Insider

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 1 of 2

Cowboys trail only Seahawks in NFC projected standings - NFL
By Aaron Schatz

With the NFL draft in the rearview mirror, Football Outsiders is ready to move on to projecting the 2015 season. Unfortunately, we're not yet finished building our more complicated forecast, which involves a lot of variables and a big Monte Carlo simulation.

But when Todd McShay asked us for some projected 2015 records to build his 2016 mock draft, we put together some quick-and-dirty projections that started with Football Outsiders' defense-adjusted value over average ratings (found here) and then applied the usual regression toward the mean that a good or bad team sees from each unit. We then adjusted the projections to account for last season's injury numbers, major free-agent moves and a few other indicators.

Today, I'll go through the NFC, division by division, and explain why we see certain teams moving up and down in 2015. (We did the AFC on Monday, which also contains a more detailed description of how we came up with these projections.) Each team has a forecasted record but also, for those of you wanting more detail, a more exact "mean projected wins" number. We also list strength of schedule based on average projected DVOA of next season's 16 opponents, ranked from the hardest (Minnesota is No. 1) to the easiest (Atlanta).

(Note: When considering these numbers, remember that this is not the final, official Football Outsiders forecast for 2015, and some of these projections will change between now and the July publication of Football Outsiders Almanac 2015.)

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys 11-5 (11.2 mean wins, SOS: 18)

New York Giants 9-7 (9.4 mean wins, SOS: 24)
Philadelphia Eagles 9-7 (8.7 mean wins, SOS: 23)

Washington Redskins 5-11 (5.0 mean wins, SOS: 17)

Last year, these projections had the Cowboys way too low, with a mean forecast of just 7-9. This year, our projection looks too extreme in the other direction. How can Dallas be the second-best team in the league despite the loss of DeMarco Murray? History says that losing a top running back doesn't tend to have a strong impact on overall offensive quality. The passing game and the offensive line simply have much more importance in the modern NFL. The Cowboys are likely to have more injuries on offense (No. 2 in our adjusted games lost metric) but better health on defense (No. 28 in AGL) should help improve that unit to league average. (The Cowboys are also the only NFC East team that will not have to face the suspended Tom Brady).

Improved health is also a big reason we have the Giants projected to improve, but there are clearly some issues in the Giants' training room. Big Blue has led the league in adjusted games lost for two straight seasons. So while this projection assumes some regression toward the mean, it doesn't assume as much as it would with other teams. And if the Giants have another season as the most injured team in the league, this forecast is clearly going to be too high.

Just as there are subjective reasons to believe that the Giants' may not get a boost when health regresses toward the mean by improving, there are subjective reasons to believe that the Eagles (and Chip Kelly's sports science program) may not get worse when their health regresses toward the mean by declining. But we do have to penalize the Eagles for introducing a new quarterback to their system, which usually means an offensive step back, all other things being equal.

There are some good indicators for Washington -- drafting an offensive tackle high, rebounding from poor health on defense last year -- but we still expect a poor season overall. Washington doesn't look like the worst team in the league, but got the No. 1 pick in Todd McShay's mock draft because it had the easiest schedule of the three teams projected to go 5-11.

NFC North

Green Bay Packers 10-6 (9.9 mean wins, SOS: 13)
Chicago Bears 7-9 (7.3 mean wins, SOS: 15)

Detroit Lions 7-9 (6.6 mean wins, SOS: 4)
Minnesota Vikings 6-10 (5.9 mean wins, SOS: 1)

Green Bay has ranked in the top five of our DVOA ratings every year since 2009. ... Except for 2013, when they were eighth the week before losing Aaron Rodgers for the second half of the season. Is there any reason to expect things to be different in 2015? Not really, although if the Packers can't match their health from last year (No. 3 in offensive AGL, No. 9 in defensive AGL) they'll rank closer to fifth than first overall in 2015.

Chicago's health was as negative as Green Bay's was positive (No. 27 in offensive AGL, NO. 26 in defensive AGL), which is an objective reason to believe the Bears will improve in 2015. A subjective reason, not indicated in these numbers, is that the coaching change has to have an impact given the way the locker room seemed to completely quit on Marc Trestman last season.

On Monday, we picked Miami as the hottest sleeper team in the AFC, in part because awful special teams tend to regress toward the mean stronger than offense or defense. So why aren't we predicting the same thing for the Lions, whose special teams were nearly as bad as Miami's in 2014? Because on defense, the Dolphins added Ndamukong Suh while the Lions have to subtract him, and because Detroit also has one of the toughest projected schedules in the league this season.

And speaking of tough projected schedules: There are many reasons to believe in the Minnesota Vikings. Teddy Bridgewater improved significantly in the second half of the year and now has Mike Wallace as a quality downfield weapon. Adrian Peterson is supposed to be back. Mike Zimmer is a well-regarded coach, especially when it comes to defense. But the statistical projections still don't see the young defensive talent coalescing yet, and the projected hardest schedule in the league will be a serious problem. Sell your tickets for the Minnesota Vikings Super Bowl 50 bandwagon and buy tickets for the Minnesota Vikings Super Bowl 51 bandwagon instead. (Or is that Super Bowl LI? It's confusing.)

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part 2 of 2

NFC South

Atlanta Falcons 10-6 (10.2 mean wins, SOS: 32)
New Orleans Saints 10-6 (9.7 mean wins, SOS: 31)
Carolina Panthers 7-9 (7.0 mean wins, SOS: 21)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6-10 (6.0 mean wins, SOS: 27)

An easy schedule doesn't completely determine your destiny in the NFL, but it's awfully nice to have. Our forecast sees it as a driving force behind the rebound of last year's most disappointing division, mainly because these teams trade the strong AFC North for the weak AFC South.

Things are good for the Falcons and Saints, but not necessarily for the Panthers, who finished first in last year's NFC South. That earned them 2015 games against the Packers and Seahawks while their division rivals get to play weaker teams from the North and West divisions.

Another important element of our NFC South forecast is the fact that offense tends to be more consistent than defense from year to year. Atlanta and New Orleans were strong on offense and terrible on defense a year ago. Those defenses are more likely to improve than the offenses are to decline. Again, Carolina does not follow this same pattern, and therefore does not improve in our projection. When it comes to turning things around, the Falcons have some additional factors in their favor that the Saints do not have. Atlanta's offense should be better based on improved health (30th in offensive AGL in 2014) and the maturation of a top young offensive tackle (Jake Matthews). Even these numbers may be underestimating the importance of the players the Saints lost due to salary-cap issues, or the addition in Atlanta of our top projected rookie edge rusher, Vic Beasley.

Tampa Bay was terrible a year ago, and there's no reason to expect dramatic improvement, especially given how negative our QBASE projection system is about Jameis Winston's NFL future.

NFC West

Seattle Seahawks 12-4 (12.4 mean wins, SOS: 16)
San Francisco 49ers 7-9 (7.1 mean wins, SOS: 5)
Arizona Cardinals 6-10 (6.3 mean wins, SOS: 2)
St. Louis Rams 6-10 (5.8 mean wins, SOS: 11)

Seattle is the blatantly obvious, slam-dunk favorite to sit atop the NFL again after Super Bowl 50. This doesn't mean Seattle will win. Predicting the season is about probabilities. With 32 teams in the mix right now, and so many things unknown, the Seahawks are far from an even-money bet to have another championship season. But Seattle has the highest probability of being a serious Super Bowl contender, and the fewest question marks going into the 2015 season. No other team comes close, and Dallas is the only other team with a mean win projection above 10.6.

The Seahawks have been the No. 1 team in Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings for three straight years. By adjusted games lost, they are coming off their least healthy season of the three, suggesting improvement in 2015. And one of their major rivals is reeling from massive personnel losses. San Francisco's situation is a difficult one to try to model with statistics. We can penalize them for the loss of two starting inside linebackers -- one of them, Patrick Willis, a perennial Pro Bowl star -- and those retirements likely neutralize any benefit the 49ers will get from the strong probability that they are healthier on defense in 2015. However, the importance of a head coach is a subjective variable. Under Jim Harbaugh, the 49ers tended to always play better than projections. Nobody outside of the organization seems to have any faith in Jim Tomsula as his replacement. What are numbers supposed to say about that?

There are also a number of questions revolving around the projection for the Arizona Cardinals. We might be forecasting their defense as too strong because of the importance of departed defensive coordinator Todd Bowles. We also might be forecasting their offense as too weak because the system doesn't fully compensate for the drop in Arizona's offense when the Cardinals were forced to start a quarterback, Ryan Lindley, who wasn't on their roster to start the season. On the other hand, Arizona ranked 23rd in offensive DVOA, if we count all 16 games. If we only count games started by Carson Palmer, the Cardinals would have ranked ... 23rd, in exactly the same place except a little closer to No. 22 Minnesota. Arizona's overall performance was weak for a playoff team even before Lindley took over as quarterback, and teams like that tend to decline. On the other hand -- back to the subjective questions about head coaches -- Bruce Arians' record of outperforming statistics over the past three seasons is extremely strong.

St. Louis was strong on defense and special teams but not offense in 2014. The Rams are somewhat the opposite of Atlanta and New Orleans, and with a team such as this, our system tends to see the good units declining and the poor offense not improving much. There's a ton of talent on the defensive line, but too many questions everywhere else.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey stop defelecting. Every post is supposed to be about the cheating Pats. :D

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFC Playoff Projection

1st seed - Seattle Seahawks
2nd seed - Dallas Cowboys

3rd and 4th seed - Green Bay Packers and Atlanta Falcons (same record projected)
5th seed - New Orleans Saints
6th seed - New York Giants

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons 10-6? Based on what? 49ers 2nd in the division after probably the biggest offseason implosion in NFL history? WTF?

I don't like to predict entire conferences but one thing is fairly certain IMO, the 49ers aren't ending 2nd in the division and the Falcons are not going 10-6.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons 10-6? Based on what? 49ers 2nd in the division after probably the biggest offseason implosion in NFL history? WTF?

I don't like to predict entire conferences but one thing is fairly certain IMO, the 49ers aren't ending 2nd in the division and the Falcons are not going 10-6.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. I would agree that the 49ers should be considered below Arizona right now. Losing Gore, Crabtree, Iupati, Willis, and Harbaugh really hurts.

They have the Card's with the #2 SOS. I bet that is why they have 49ers doing better. They have the Falcons playing the easiest schedule, which explains their record. I am not sure who, but I have a feeling a team is going to win more than 12 games.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. Also, even though the Cardinals are in the tough NFC West, they are definitely winning more than 6 games.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFC EAST

I think DAL is the team to beat in the East. PHI is a big question mark. Chip Kelly took big gambles this offseason. We'll see if it pays off.

NFC NORTH

If MIN does have the toughest schedule and win 6 games, that would be better than I would expect. GB is definitely the team to beat. I would have the order of the teams the same.

NFC SOUTH

I'm a Cam Newton fan. I think he can lead CAR to repeat as NFC South champions. I think ATL and NO can steal the thunder. But CAR won the division with Newton not 100%. I think they will get it now.

NFC WEST

SEA definitely team to beat. I like seeing 49ers #2, but they shouldn't be at this point. They didn't finish 2nd last year and they lost 4-5 key players and the head coach. ARI should be #2 and SF should be #3.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were two games that we lost due to Mike Smith's terrible clock management. We could have been 8-8 if it weren't for him. We've brought in a lot of bodies on the defensive side of the ball to fill up thin roster spots as well as getting a new set of tight ends. This past year we had a tight end filling in at guard because of injuries...it was pretty bad. Roddy White was nursing injuries throughout the year as well. If he's healthy that should strengthen the passing game. We're also switching to a ZBS which should help with our running game. Right now the main question is who plays safety?

I think a new coach, addition of talent on defense, and a softer schedule should help us out this year.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Niners are on a collision course for 4th in the division. That new coach seems like a total joke to me (just go to google and type in Tomsula Comcast and then thank me for those 4 entertaining minutes), and they have lost several key players that were the horsepower of their recent playoff teams. They were already on a downward trend last year, and the Rams look like they'll leap ahead of SF and maybe even AZ if Foles starts fast.